Notices

Steelies at a road track?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Steelies at a road track?

I have a rather important question that google cannot inform me on lol.

Is it ok to run the stock steelies at the track? Or will they bend?

My tires sidewall is a bit soft but if you take the line well and keep on the throttle the sidewall stays inflated all the way.

I heard alot of people saying that steelies = bad idea on a road track.

Planning to go to VIR soon or Danville raceway in SW VA.

Any info would be greatly appreciated,

Regis

Ohh, and my tires are wearing on the outside much more than the inside...like natural neg. camber lol...what should I do?
Old 08-01-2009, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Increase tire pressure! You are rolling onto the sidewall from hard cornering.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Stock tires? I wouldn't track with those just because they're crappy. There's nothing wrong with steelies, it's the tire that counts.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nothing wrong with steelies. You just won't be as competitive, they weigh more than aluminum. I ran rains on steel for 14 years with no issue & if you do go off track they're cheaper than their light weight counterpart.....

Tires are a whole different issue.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you switch to alloy rims and go bigger you should watch the rim weight - seems those 20 inch rims will add pounds to the weight OVER the weight of the 15" steelies sometimes.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The biggest size I will ever consider is 16".

I have Pirelli P4 all seasons on right now...and they perform AMAZINGLY when the asphalt is cool (50-70F)

I'm just tired of waiting for rims ot go to the track. ANd I honestly don't care if I am slower/faster than anyone, I just want to scare the crap out of myself.

I have been to the Jim Russel Racing school when I was 15 and it still sticks with me today..I just need to learn the tracks.

Anyone been to Summit Point WV?

VIR is to fast a track for our cars since we only top out at 120 max and most people seem to go around 140-160 on the straights at VIR, and I hate being the dude thats in the way at 150mph lol.

My car is all stock, but i have recently found out it's true limits. I used to push it alot, but that was because I was taking bad lines, now I seem to be pushing myself more than the car haha.

Thx for the info,

Regis
Old 08-04-2009, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Glad you like the P4's because that was my next tire choice . . . just working out what to do about rims and mounting + balancing issues. My originals have some life left in them but they are not good enough for this coming winter and I don't want to run new Mags in the snow or pay twice to swap the tires around to different rims and rebalance them. Guess the best bet is to get more 2 more steelies for the two new P4's
Old 08-04-2009, 10:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The only problem I find with the P4's is the sidewall...maybe it's normal for these all season tires i dunno.

But yes, in the winter they are more than adequate, they do NOT squeal...they kinda make a slipping sounds, no screaming very nice.

That and since I am stupid and don't rotate my tires every oil change I have some "natural" camber I guess you could say lol. Great tread life, and VERY predictable in dry...no hydroplaning what so ever either, quality product you will like them.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you run about 40psi in the Goodyear factor tires they are pretty quiet too - never get anything out of them in the turns even when bouncing on two wheels. Guess I need to find some steelies - too bad TireRack doesn't carry factory rims - getting them mounted locally maybe I will luck out and be able to get a deal from my buddy in PA if they have high speed balancing there now.

What was the side wall issue with the P4s?
Old 08-08-2009, 01:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The issue was that they would roll or the car would force the weight on them so much that I would ride the sidewall on high G slow turns with massive banking lol. So now that I inflated them at 38psi they run MUCH better. 36psi is the best highway in terms of eco. and comfort but 38 is amazing in therms of how planted the car is.

So now it isn't an issue, but it was at 34-36 psi on turns.

They are a lil iffy in the wet when taking turns fast, but any tire will do that so don't worry about it. They don't make an adequate warning noise in the wet though, you just kinda slide or you don't. In the snow their fine if you know how to drive in the snow, but my friends seems to be terrified lol.

Get em, no regret man. I slam potholes at 60mph with 38psi and they hold up perfect. 38psi seemed to fix the tread wear pattern as well. Thanks a bunch.

Regis
Old 08-08-2009, 11:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK that sounds good. Yeah once you get the feel of the handling it is easy to push it to the limits - you have to keep something loose on the dash to show you when you are corning too fast as it slams against the passenger door and falls to the floor.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Summit Point

About Summit Point:

I haven't been there in years, but I have driven the main track and the Jefferson Circuit, but not the Shennandoah circuit.

I did a few "Friday at the Track" events there (through BSR). The instructors are great, and the track is fun. I got up to about 110 mph at the end of the main straight in my '95 Dodge Neon ACR with R compound tires.

I did a couple Solo I type events on the Jefferson Circuit. It's also a fun track, but much shorter than the main circuit (1.1 vs. 2.0 miles). The speeds are slower, but it's a bit more dangerous, since the trees are closer to the track (unless they've changed that in the past 8 years).

Bottom line, any track event is good. It hones your skills, and you can drive as fast or slow as you want.

The DC region SCCA is now doing Time Trials/PDX events (Performance Driving eXperience) at Summit Point. I would recommend those to everyone. Good instructors, safe event, and a fun/friendly atmosphere.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would love to go to summit point but first I need better suspension.

My car is 100% stock, so power won't have anything to do with my times.

What tire pressure do you recommend for a track? I run 38psi all round, and I am assuming that should be ok, and its safer for me in terms of slow corners (under 50mph) and very solid on faster corners (50+).

Time attack is one at a time right? Do they have a stock (no mods at all) time attack class? That would be awesome.

At 60k I think its time to push this lady a bit on a real track with some fresh oil haha.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For the first time at a track, a totally stock car is probably best. A slow car is the best way to learn the correct line.

At a track, the most important part of the car is the brakes. If those don't work well, you'll break something. Make sure the brakes are in perfect condition--pads & rotors, bleed the fluid (flush if necessary), and check for leaks.

Tire pressures depend on lots of things. With regular street tires, 38 is good, but check them when they're hot (try a few pounds less in the rear). After they cool down, don't change the pressure, just take it easy for a lap until they get back up to temp.

If you have R compounds, or good tires with a stiffer sidewall, you can run lower pressures. It's best to start a bit high, and lower the pressure until the tread rolls over on the sidewall, to the edge of the softer compound.

My xA has 93,000 on it, and it takes on ramps and off ramps quite well. It's totally stock with 195-60-15 Ziex 512s.