Notices

Are stretched tires good or bad you think?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 07:39 PM
5 Year Member

Just going to put this out there. Fitting tires that are too narrow for a specific rim is going to have 2 effects besides for how it looks. 1) Traction will be reduced due to a smaller contact patch caused by the bending of the tire. If a tire is too narrowl for a rim, the tire will bulge on the sides. If a tire is to wide for a rim, the tire will bulge in the middle, bringing us to the second effect. 2) Tire stretching will cause extremely excessive wear on the outer portion of the tread and hence cost a lot of money for new rubber. The effect on the tread would be very simmiler to running radical cambers. If this was for a show, I'd say cool, to each his own. If this was driven on the street...well lets just say I wouldnt suggest it. Tires are designed the way they are for a reason.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

eh i wasnt hating, just putting in my 2 cents b/c to me it didnt seem like the tires were mounted. take it easy i didnt say it was ugly or stupid so i dont think its hating
Old 10-11-2005, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Shayne
Just going to put this out there. Fitting tires that are too narrow for a specific rim is going to have 2 effects besides for how it looks. 1) Traction will be reduced due to a smaller contact patch caused by the bending of the tire. If a tire is too narrowl for a rim, the tire will bulge on the sides. If a tire is to wide for a rim, the tire will bulge in the middle, bringing us to the second effect. 2) Tire stretching will cause extremely excessive wear on the outer portion of the tread and hence cost a lot of money for new rubber. The effect on the tread would be very simmiler to running radical cambers. If this was for a show, I'd say cool, to each his own. If this was driven on the street...well lets just say I wouldnt suggest it. Tires are designed the way they are for a reason.
Looking good costs a price

....and as for my wheels....I have no idea what your talkinga bout or who this operator guy is
Old 10-11-2005, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

This thread is turning into a stupid argument...everyone likes what they like...if you dont like what you see, then go tell it to the only person who really gives a f uck (yourselves)
Half of you wouldnt know something that looks good if it smakced you in the face
Old 10-11-2005, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ohhhh wow. A whole thread about my wheels and tires! Anyway what a bunch of newbie people on this thread. You know who you are. And what a surprise, they drive tCs. ZING!

Oh and bBoxd, have you seen the car as a whole? lol
Tell me what you think.

Old 10-11-2005, 10:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

looks good^^^^
Now about the comment of the tC drivers Only reason why I sold the xB is cause I was boost hungry and the 6 psi I was pushing in the box wast good enough after a while...my heart is still with the xB though
Old 10-11-2005, 11:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Simplyscion
looks good^^^^
Now about the comment of the tC drivers Only reason why I sold the xB is cause I was boost hungry and the 6 psi I was pushing in the box wast good enough after a while...my heart is still with the xB though
The comment wasnt really intended for you. Notice that i wrote.."you know who you are", you know you werent being a closeminded, know-it-all so no harm, no foul. And i must say some of tC owners on SL like to incite and instigate arguments. I'm just writing what people already know. Again, you know who you are.

Some people have even gone so far as to write that they hoped my tires would pop. Total strangers! Go figure~
Old 10-11-2005, 11:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

yea I hear ya...half of the kids on this site are 18 yr old kids that mommy and daddy thought the tC would be a good first car for their kid to drive and decided to spoil them and buy one...lame ish
Old 10-11-2005, 11:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

wow......wtf, let a **** have sum rims w stretched tires..sheeeeet is it really worth the time and argument?......what if the people from scion read this post?....lol...u think they would still want to be part of Scion Life and have a link to the site on scion.com?

Danger, SL isnt starting to suck, its the internet n00bs that are sucking...people if u have an opinion STATE it , and then call it a day
Old 10-12-2005, 07:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

this is the stupidest thing i have ever seen. why would anyone want to waste 1000 bux on nice rims and tires, to get the wrong size, and ruin both sets. i am sorry i drive an xb cuz i am poor. it has good gas mileage and low monthly payment. what is up with goin through wheels in less that 5000 miles on it? and then your rims will all be scratched up too. like most others have posted in here..."and this is supposed to look good?"
Old 10-12-2005, 08:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FLINT
Originally Posted by Petem
Originally Posted by eXciteBox
and theres the VW guys too...

my god... and this is suppose to be "COOL" OR GOOD LOOKING...? i think this fad is the most dangerous and STUPID fad i have seen yet.. i can not even think of ONE good reason why you would want this..... 400AMONTH's post had me laughing.... but im in total agreement..

think about this... these are the kinds of people who will put the wrong size tires on the wheel... go out.. have an accident then sue the tire or wheel manufacture for a defective product...
YEA, IGNORANCE is bliss and DANGEROUS!!!!

This topic is such B.......S!!!![/b]
Old 10-12-2005, 08:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by WeeMan
this is the stupidest thing i have ever seen. why would anyone want to waste 1000 bux on nice rims and tires, to get the wrong size, and ruin both sets. i am sorry i drive an xb cuz i am poor. it has good gas mileage and low monthly payment. what is up with goin through wheels in less that 5000 miles on it? and then your rims will all be scratched up too. like most others have posted in here..."and this is supposed to look good?"
this is the kind of dumba$$ negative comments that we're talkin about. 1st of all $1000 will NOT buy you any set of high quality wide rims and tires. lol $1000 bux, lol. that statement in itself is stupid. how will they ruin? and "less then 5000 miles?" rims scratched up? i know alot of people and x girlfriends that have scratched up and ruined stock wheels with proper tire sizes. i also know a lot of people who have never damaged expensive wheels with stretched tires on them. it may not look good to you but usually $1000 wheel and tire combos don't look that good to me either, but you don't see me going on other peoples threads or reading in their profile how they want "Chrome 17s with Pirelli Wrap" dissin their rims, now do you? who's the loser now?
Old 10-12-2005, 09:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

first off, i have a tC with a stretched fitment..

over 5k miles on my 'stretched' tires with no problems.. rims are still flawless and my tire wear is even. no noticable problems with handling/tire pressure/etc. i did it because the next size up wouldnt fit, not because i couldnt afford it. cmon the price difference is what.. 20 bux? i dont think anybody stretching their tires do it because they cant afford a wider size. its all looks and fitment..

some of you guys need to chill with the bashing. were all car enthusists here.. learn to respect other ppl's styles.

also, let me squash some of the stereotyping goin on in this post. im 19, with probly less than 30 posts but far from a 'noob'. ive had my tC since JUNE of 2004. long before most ppl even seen a tC on the street.. i pay for every cent of it, along with any mods i add to it. i'm about to hit 35k miles on it and know this baby like the back of my hand.

dont get me wrong.. ive also noticed lots of young and dumb tC owners on this site.. but for the record, im not one of them.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^EXACTLY...
i had stretched tires on my bagged Taco....
no biggie..... why do peeps have to be sooo negative....
just comment and move on..... here i'll start...

those look sweet...

(next)
Old 10-12-2005, 12:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

yes they do...

neeext....
Old 10-12-2005, 01:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Corps
SL Member

some people on here have no idea. The stretch look is also helpful when lowering your car really low. JDmJim (i think thats his SN) has airride and stretched tires on Eurolines and it looks really good when slammed all the way. It also can be helpful on wider rims to not have the tread rub on the fender and causing a tear in the tread. Most of the time it is about looks but there are benefits. Even some race cars have a small stretch on them.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WeeMan
A. If thats the stupidest thing you've ever seen then I suggest you go out and experience the world!
B. If you can get a set of high quaility wheels & tires for 1000 then thats a good deal.
C.Where do you get the 5000 mile estimite on how long they are going to last? Last time I checked they weren't carved out of balsa wood.
D. I dont plan on scratching these and I have never scratched/curbed any of my wheels because....I know how to drive.
E. Yes
Old 10-12-2005, 02:42 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lets stop flaming and personal attacks *that includes groups suchas tC owners* and get back on topic here of stretched tires before this is forced to be locked.

Personally I think stretch is cool in moderation, but then again I dont have the same opinions as a lot of people on this board here
Old 10-12-2005, 03:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sarcasmkillsme knows a lot about the stretching tires topic, hes done a lot of research on the topic, and has influenced me to want to run an even smaller tire on my 8.5" wheels in the front...just gotta burn these out first....
Old 10-12-2005, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok lets see...what can keep this topic ON topic?

MORE STRETCHED TIRES!!!!

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1876320

Quick Reply: Are stretched tires good or bad you think?