Notices

Are stretched tires good or bad you think?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 03:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Looks like the calvary has arrived..

http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=190894
Old 10-14-2005, 04:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are THESE stretched?

Old 10-14-2005, 08:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

I'm just the oppisite from the guy's on the Celica web-site. personally think Celica's are garbage.........That's1st of all.....

2nd...know one said they where going to drift with there Scion just because there tire's are stretched....

3rd...I'd say 90% of Celica owner's car's look rice anyway's.............
They must have a pretty boring site to have to come on SL to get a topic going........But then again the Celica is a pretty boring looking car to me.........lol........

But like they said on there site.."I'm Not Hating".....lol....
Old 10-14-2005, 01:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Signature Visions
SL Member

Originally Posted by bbsukidesu
Are THESE stretched?

you bet they are!
Old 10-26-2005, 05:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does anyone else hear a baby crying? I'm hearing that a lot more often the more I post on this forum.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by qbqt
Whats the smallest stretched tire for a 15X8 rim? Isnt there lower profile tires than a 195/50/15?
Check vwvortex forums. I know a lot of people stretch 195/45 on 15x8, but I think they are imported tires from Europe. In Japan, I think they even have 185/45 and 175/45 for the Kei cars. On a Scion, I think 195/50-15 is the smallest you should go before the tires look too tiny...
Old 10-26-2005, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by Limey

Dude, tire, eat something.

Hahaha my thoughts exactly.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not even going to read through this thread. When you do something stupid like stretch tires, you are not only making the road unsafe for you, you are making it unsafe for everyone. Tire manufacturers give a certain allowable rim width for tires because that is the width that they can assure the bead will stay on the rim. When you force the tire onto a rim that is too wide, you are making it incredibly easy for the tire bead to pop out because of speedbumps or other road imperfections; and making yourself a rolling hazard for anyone near you.

You want to stretch tire for car shows? Fine, if you think it's cool, show it. But driving with stretched tires exceeds tire manufacturer specifications, and makes the tire both dangerous, and your car will not comply with DOT regulations. Since tires have to pass through the US DOT, if they are used outside thier limits, they will no longer comply. Considering your tires are the only thing connecting your car to the road, they are really the most important thing to get right.

There are enough bad drivers out there, the LAST thing everyone needs is people sabotaging their own cars. It's dangerous people, regardless of how you think it looks, its dangerous. I'm not hating on the look either, I think in moderation it can look good, but the extreeme "stretched look" normally includes a gap between the inside of the lip of the wheel, and the tire bead, which is dangerous and stupid.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHA!!!!!
Old 10-26-2005, 08:09 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

okay this is getting OUT of hand. this is VERY close to being locked. i deleted some of your guys posts as they were TOTALLY out of order on this. i cleaned up a lot so far.

so keep it clean from now on. commense discussion and lay off the flaming!

scott
Old 10-26-2005, 11:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by JESSR
I'm just the oppisite from the guy's on the Celica web-site. personally think Celica's are garbage.........That's1st of all.....

2nd...know one said they where going to drift with there Scion just because there tire's are stretched....

3rd...I'd say 90% of Celica owner's car's look rice anyway's.............
They must have a pretty boring site to have to come on SL to get a topic going........But then again the Celica is a pretty boring looking car to me.........lol........

But like they said on there site.."I'm Not Hating".....lol....
My friend owns that site. It actually gets ALOT of traffic. The reason that thread was posted is because it was posted in Off Topic. Hard to explain, but Off Topic is where alot of former Celica owners still hang out (myself being one of them). Most of the posts in that forum are sarcastic and of the flaming type.

So whats garbage about a GTS Celica? A naturally aspirated gts will rape a TC any day of the week in drag or handling. So what do you not like about them?
Old 10-26-2005, 11:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by phatcyclist
I'm not even going to read through this thread. When you do something stupid like stretch tires, you are not only making the road unsafe for you, you are making it unsafe for everyone. Tire manufacturers give a certain allowable rim width for tires because that is the width that they can assure the bead will stay on the rim. When you force the tire onto a rim that is too wide, you are making it incredibly easy for the tire bead to pop out because of speedbumps or other road imperfections; and making yourself a rolling hazard for anyone near you.

You want to stretch tire for car shows? Fine, if you think it's cool, show it. But driving with stretched tires exceeds tire manufacturer specifications, and makes the tire both dangerous, and your car will not comply with DOT regulations. Since tires have to pass through the US DOT, if they are used outside thier limits, they will no longer comply. Considering your tires are the only thing connecting your car to the road, they are really the most important thing to get right.

There are enough bad drivers out there, the LAST thing everyone needs is people sabotaging their own cars. It's dangerous people, regardless of how you think it looks, its dangerous. I'm not hating on the look either, I think in moderation it can look good, but the extreeme "stretched look" normally includes a gap between the inside of the lip of the wheel, and the tire bead, which is dangerous and stupid.
Well, I'm sure all us 'stretched tire guys' really value your esteemed and allencompasing automobile opinion but....the thing is...we don't care. We all know about tires and sizes and such so we dont need a refresher course. Basically, until you do some actual research or maybe, I know this will sound crazy but, gain some 'hands on' experience with the subject, then dont patronize us. Really, do you think we haven't already heard all that stuff you wrote before? All that stuff about the tire poping or coming off the bead is just conjecture. Careful now, your inexperience and uneducated guesswork is showing.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sarcasmkillsme

Well, I'm sure all us 'stretched tire guys' really value your esteemed and allencompasing automobile opinion but....the thing is...we don't care. We all know about tires and sizes and such so we dont need a refresher course. Basically, until you do some actual research or maybe, I know this will sound crazy but, gain some 'hands on' experience with the subject, then dont partonize us. Really, do you think we haven't already heard all that stuff you wrote before? All that stuff about the tire poping or coming off the bead is just conjecture. Careful now, your inexperience and uneducated guesswork is showing.
Actually, it looks more like your ignorance, or disregard for the truth is showing. His post was probably one of the most well educated in this entire thread.

And next time, you might try a spell checker. It tends to keep a person trying to sound intelligent from looking like a fool.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:39 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

why am i guessing RT has never owned a vehicle with stretched tires. i may be wrong, but thats just a guess.

just becaue he has a different view from you is no reason to go at him RT. his post summed up everything that has been said in the previous 2 pages and was kinda pointless IMHO. he even said hes not going to read the thread. that makes me think he is a little uneducated actually and inexpierenced. then again im a loser noob

sarcasm knows his stuff and has dealt with this. if you drive careful and not like a dumb booty then you wont have a problem at all.

to tell the truth, you want to know what I think it stupid?
putting BIG wheels on a scion without BBKs. thats endangering lives because that GREATLY cuts your stopping distance and could kill.

you want to know what else? lowering your car is dangerous. it makes it harder for bigger trucks to see you, causing more crashes, making it more dangerous for everyone.

lets not forget air freshners. those are the WORST. they block a your vision and cause you to hit things. theycan keep things from being seen.

everything is dangerous when you really look deep into it. stretched tires are no worse than anything i listed above. so get off your high horse if thats all your reasoning. just my .02 as a stupid kid who doesnt know anything.

whatever. this thread is just making me mad now.

scott
Old 10-27-2005, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RTon20s
Originally Posted by sarcasmkillsme

Well, I'm sure all us 'stretched tire guys' really value your esteemed and allencompasing automobile opinion but....the thing is...we don't care. We all know about tires and sizes and such so we dont need a refresher course. Basically, until you do some actual research or maybe, I know this will sound crazy but, gain some 'hands on' experience with the subject, then dont partonize us. Really, do you think we haven't already heard all that stuff you wrote before? All that stuff about the tire poping or coming off the bead is just conjecture. Careful now, your inexperience and uneducated guesswork is showing.
Actually, it looks more like your ignorance, or disregard for the truth is showing. His post was probably one of the most well educated in this entire thread.

And next time, you might try a spell checker. It tends to keep a person trying to sound intelligent from looking like a fool.
Oops, I spelled patronize wrong. A typo doesn't mean i'm not intelligent...It looks like you also have no experience with this subject. I know about how tire size recommendations work in the US. The thing is I have experience with stretched tires and I know many more people with experience with it. Go talk to some Veedubbers. If you talk to some of the guys that have been doing it for awhile(some have been doing it for 10 years in europe) they will tell you its not dangerous. What is dangerous, with stretched tires, is maybe say....autocrossing or driving aggressivly on the street. Under normal driving conditions it's perfectly ok (yes, that includes driving over speed bumps at normal speeds...who flys over them in a lowered car anyway?). Next?
Old 10-27-2005, 05:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have plenty of hands on experience... I do nothing but cars all the time. I have personally watched a stretched tire pop the bead (this was AFTER bead sealer too) going through a pothole. Luckely my friend remained in control enough to not cause an accident, but it was really close. So yeah, sarcasmkillsme, don't come in here talking about how I don't know anything. I know how to operate mounting/balencing equipment, I actually use them every once and a while at my friends shop, so that would also constitute as "hands on" experience I believe....

I already said I like the look to a degree, and have no problems with it in the show scene. But when you start putting other people's safety in jeopordy because you want to do the "in" thing, some people will get on you, so deal with it. You are not the only person on the road you know, and you shouldn't act like it is your priveledge to make your car unsafe when other people's safety is at stake. Honestly, I'm not trying to start anything, but I have seen the whole tire stretching thing almost go really bad...and don't think I need anyone telling me otherwise. I also believe the thread is called,"Are stretched tires good or bad you think?". I gave my opinion, sorry if it wasn't the one you wanted to hear.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:50 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just to clear it up, i didnt know what else to name it. this is the flaming split from a useful thread.

scott
Old 10-27-2005, 12:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

wow, i still have no idea why this would happen, but after thinkiing about it i realized people are stretching their rubber to put something on their car that wasn't designed to fit.

they wanted to put on smaller, wider wheels, and by stretching the rubber, it would keep them from rubbing against the fenders... ummm its called your wheels won't fit your car! no matter how much you like them, go with a different set. either that or cut your fenders, flare them, or remove the inside material for extra room.

offroading, i had to buy different fender flares so i could run larger wheels on the jeep we have. that way they wouldn't rub the stocks, and there is no way in HELL that i would ever stretch the tires.
i blame the poor tuner kid who thought this idea up. you just know some civic driving pimple faced kid did this first!

* i do understand for drifting purposes, and other various racings, this would come in handy, but that is a closed circuit, sport, not daily driving, with a stock car.*
Old 10-27-2005, 02:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Correct me if I'm wrong...and I didn't read pages 2 & 3...but isn't doing this to tires illegal in states?

The guy who put on my clear bra has an old VW GTi with stretched wheels and had to have them do it in Europe and send it back because nobody will do them here...hence them being illegal.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Since you are exceeding the manufacturers specifications on the tire, and the tire has been DOT approved under those specified conditions; yes, it is illegal.

Quick Reply: Are stretched tires good or bad you think?