Notices

Are stretched tires good or bad you think?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

So, im confused now.
are the proponents of stretching saying that it is a style thing that is meant for the shows? that seems fine to me (not my style, but fine in the shows)
or are they advocating driving on the highway like this? 'cause although i havent researched it, it seems plainly obvious that driving outside of legaly defined safety specs is a bad idea, and i wouldn't want to drive next to someone doing it.

also, have any of the stretched tire folks had problems with the law?
Old 10-27-2005, 05:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alot of the people on here are advocating it for show use, but also drive the vehicles on the road (thats what I'm getting from this thread at least). I wouldn't think you would get into trouble with the law unless you had lots of other questionable mods done to the car, and then I would suspect the officer would add it to the ticket. However, in an accident situation that tire stretching caused, you probably won't get any tolerance about it, as it is clearly a violation of the tire manufacturers specifications.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its not my style so i dontwant to hate but to each his own
and some of them do look kinda sick
Old 10-27-2005, 05:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

WeeMan, buy looser pants.

Old 10-27-2005, 05:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Damn this topic is back up again
Just to clear it up, It is Safe, Legal, Fun, Cool, Comforable.... I mean common guys what's with all negetive comments, I mean if you have never tried it how can you say it's not safe or its going to pop how many times your stretched tires have poped. I know everyone likes to keep the safety level up on streets but there is nothing wrong with stretching your tires. I have been doing this for the past 5 years and recently took it to next level to see how far I can go, and let me tell you, just taking your wheels to tire shop and ask them to put it on, wow their face worth $$$ so I have been installing my own tires for the past 2 years in my garage. last wheel setup took me 45 min to air up but its been holding air just fine and I have over 4k miles on them. According to legal laws as long as there is no spark mean your wheel sitting on ground its safe and legal but I'm not sure how long that law would stand for me, if I go with this rate .....

Have a nice day and keep your negetive comments to yourself it will never change peeoples mind who are going to stretch their tire, it just shows your personality, you could say yes or no as what topic wanted, but if you are going to start an argument you better have something to back it up, not just say I think, and I have seen.
peace
Old 10-27-2005, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All I can say is holy crap. I never realized how many ignorant people there were in the import scene or this site in particular.

In the case of style, I may hate something, but I let it go with, "to each their own." Stretched tires go beyond styling. These tires are being used outside of their specifications, plain and simple. They will not perform as they were designed to. And in extreme cases, and even some not so extreme, can be dangerous.

And no, I have never run stretched tires. But I don't have to stab myself in the neck with a knife to know that it isn't a good idea to stab myself in the neck with a knife. Why don't some of you stretched tire proponents email some of your tire manufacturers and tell them the specifications of your wheel and tire package. Ask them what they think about your configurations. Then post back with their response emails. I would love to hear what the true professionals have to say about tire stretching.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tC562
first off, i have a tC with a stretched fitment..

over 5k miles on my 'stretched' tires with no problems.. rims are still flawless and my tire wear is even. no noticable problems with handling/tire pressure/etc. i did it because the next size up wouldnt fit, not because i couldnt afford it. cmon the price difference is what.. 20 bux? i dont think anybody stretching their tires do it because they cant afford a wider size. its all looks and fitment..

some of you guys need to chill with the bashing. were all car enthusists here.. learn to respect other ppl's styles.

also, let me squash some of the stereotyping goin on in this post. im 19, with probly less than 30 posts but far from a 'noob'. ive had my tC since JUNE of 2004. long before most ppl even seen a tC on the street.. i pay for every cent of it, along with any mods i add to it. i'm about to hit 35k miles on it and know this baby like the back of my hand.

dont get me wrong.. ive also noticed lots of young and dumb tC owners on this site.. but for the record, im not one of them.

hmmm interesting look,
it looks great IMO but im not sure about how safe they are at highway speeds. ive always own low profile tire and potholes are always my worse nightmare how well do stretched ones hold up when youve run over a pothole?

what size rims you have 20inch ????thats what it looks like? do you have a drop as well ??
Old 10-27-2005, 09:07 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RTon20s
All I can say is holy crap. I never realized how many ignorant people there were in the import scene or this site in particular.

In the case of style, I may hate something, but I let it go with, "to each their own." Stretched tires go beyond styling. These tires are being used outside of their specifications, plain and simple. They will not perform as they were designed to. And in extreme cases, and even some not so extreme, can be dangerous.

And no, I have never run stretched tires. But I don't have to stab myself in the neck with a knife to know that it isn't a good idea to stab myself in the neck with a knife. Why don't some of you stretched tire proponents email some of your tire manufacturers and tell them the specifications of your wheel and tire package. Ask them what they think about your configurations. Then post back with their response emails. I would love to hear what the true professionals have to say about tire stretching.
ask scion what they think of airride see their opinion on that!

stretching tires has nothing to do with ignorance, it has to do with what the owner thinks looks good. you have no backing on this subject since you have no expierence, plain and simple. in the words of sarcasm, "next?"
Old 10-28-2005, 12:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

as mybox and sarcasmkills me have said, all the people on here saying that stretched tires are gonna kill babies and eat them HAVE NEVER RUN THEM! stab in the neck...its been done before...guess what....YOU DIE...the loss of blood from most likely your jugular vein being punctured would take about 3 minutes to lose the ammount of blood to make you pass out from lack of blood and oxygen to your head, eventually dying in your passed out, non concience state... stretched tires, its been done...how many people WHO HAVE RUN STRETCHED TIRES...have ever had a tire just mirraculously blow up on them or just come off the wheel like an act of god? I've only been running stretched tires for a short time...no problems, haven't killed anybody...no tires shooting off my wheels on the interstate (and i am a spirited driver at corners at times)...nuff said!

next!!
Old 10-28-2005, 02:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by phatcyclist
I have plenty of hands on experience... I do nothing but cars all the time. I have personally watched a stretched tire pop the bead (this was AFTER bead sealer too) going through a pothole. Luckely my friend remained in control enough to not cause an accident, but it was really close. So yeah, sarcasmkillsme, don't come in here talking about how I don't know anything. I know how to operate mounting/balencing equipment, I actually use them every once and a while at my friends shop, so that would also constitute as "hands on" experience I believe....

I already said I like the look to a degree, and have no problems with it in the show scene. But when you start putting other people's safety in jeopordy because you want to do the "in" thing, some people will get on you, so deal with it. You are not the only person on the road you know, and you shouldn't act like it is your priveledge to make your car unsafe when other people's safety is at stake. Honestly, I'm not trying to start anything, but I have seen the whole tire stretching thing almost go really bad...and don't think I need anyone telling me otherwise. I also believe the thread is called,"Are stretched tires good or bad you think?". I gave my opinion, sorry if it wasn't the one you wanted to hear.
Well i guess i misjudged you...somewhat. Care to tell me the wheel/tire combo that came off the bead? How long were the tires on the wheel before they came off? Sounds like they were never seated properly. Stretching the tire onto the wheel isnt the problem, its getting it to seat properly. Did you use one of those cheetah things to get the tire on? I think extreme stretching might not be good for the street but as long as the tire is touching the bead of the wheel! MyBox, you so crazy!

Granted, if what you say is true, that would be the first case I have ever heard of the tire coming off. Chalk one up. Now I cant write 'never' anymore. lol
Old 10-28-2005, 05:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I'm not even going to read through this thread. When you do something stupid like stretch tires, you are not only making the road unsafe for you, you are making it unsafe for everyone. Tire manufacturers give a certain allowable rim width for tires because that is the width that they can assure the bead will stay on the rim. When you force the tire onto a rim that is too wide, you are making it incredibly easy for the tire bead to pop out because of speedbumps or other road imperfections; and making yourself a rolling hazard for anyone near you.
Yeah, and the oh so popular $500 17" wheel & tire combo is sooo much safer.

I hope, for safety's sake, EVERYBODY'S car is bone stock. Those engineers who designed our cars spent a lot of money to go to school so they could become much smarter than us. And the cars that they design are engineered to specific specifications and if we tamper with those specific specifications, it can cause any modified vehicle to become a hazard to everyone on the road.

Examples:
Window tint-stupid and dangerous because it makes it harder for people to see out of the windows which could lead to an accident.
Loud stereos-stupid and dangerous becuase it makes it harder for people to hear horns ans sirens which could lead to an accident.
LED blinkers and tail lights-stupid and dangerous because their rapid blinking could send another driver into an epileptic seisure which could lead to an accident.
Body kits-stupid and dangerous because they hang lower than the sheet metal and could get caught on debris and ripped off, flying into traffic forcing other drivers to swerve and cause an accident.

Even the highly educated engineers come up with stupid ideas:
Windows that roll down-stupid and dangerous because if a vehicle rolls over people and/or their appendages could come out causing physical harm.

It even goes beyond those automotive engineers. Think about airplanes for a minute...if something on one of those things fails, it could fall out of the sky and land on your head, potentially causing death.

What I'm trying to say here is that everything has potential to be dangerous. People have blowouts for no apparent reason, with stock tires even. And stretched rubber has been around for decades (so, no, it wasn't "invented by some pimple faced kid in a civic" you retard).
If you're so concerend for your safety stay inside...or if you do go outside, stretch a rubber over your head to protect you from all the toxins and pollutants in the air, just make sure it covers your mouth and nose.

ANd if there are any mis-spellings in my post, it's because I'm about as sharp as a bowling ball.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by the_saint
I'm not even going to read through this thread. When you do something stupid like stretch tires, you are not only making the road unsafe for you, you are making it unsafe for everyone. Tire manufacturers give a certain allowable rim width for tires because that is the width that they can assure the bead will stay on the rim. When you force the tire onto a rim that is too wide, you are making it incredibly easy for the tire bead to pop out because of speedbumps or other road imperfections; and making yourself a rolling hazard for anyone near you.
Yeah, and the oh so popular $500 17" wheel & tire combo is sooo much safer.

I hope, for safety's sake, EVERYBODY'S car is bone stock. Those engineers who designed our cars spent a lot of money to go to school so they could become much smarter than us. And the cars that they design are engineered to specific specifications and if we tamper with those specific specifications, it can cause any modified vehicle to become a hazard to everyone on the road.

Examples:
Window tint-stupid and dangerous because it makes it harder for people to see out of the windows which could lead to an accident.
Loud stereos-stupid and dangerous becuase it makes it harder for people to hear horns ans sirens which could lead to an accident.
LED blinkers and tail lights-stupid and dangerous because their rapid blinking could send another driver into an epileptic seisure which could lead to an accident.
Body kits-stupid and dangerous because they hang lower than the sheet metal and could get caught on debris and ripped off, flying into traffic forcing other drivers to swerve and cause an accident.

Even the highly educated engineers come up with stupid ideas:
Windows that roll down-stupid and dangerous because if a vehicle rolls over people and/or their appendages could come out causing physical harm.

It even goes beyond those automotive engineers. Think about airplanes for a minute...if something on one of those things fails, it could fall out of the sky and land on your head, potentially causing death.

What I'm trying to say here is that everything has potential to be dangerous. People have blowouts for no apparent reason, with stock tires even. And stretched rubber has been around for decades (so, no, it wasn't "invented by some pimple faced kid in a civic" you retard).
If you're so concerend for your safety stay inside...or if you do go outside, stretch a rubber over your head to protect you from all the toxins and pollutants in the air, just make sure it covers your mouth and nose.

ANd if there are any mis-spellings in my post, it's because I'm about as sharp as a bowling ball.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sexyscionlover
ask scion what they think of airride see their opinion on that!
Apples and oranges my friend. Anyone who installs a pneumatic suspension system on their car SHOULD know that they are running the risk of having to fight with Scion over warranty work. A smart consumer will know that they can still get any and all warranty items covered that aren't related to suspension.

Most people installing pneumatic suspension systems on their car also install them within the manufacturer's specifications. All of these guys that are stretching tires are installing them outside of the manufacturer's specifications.

Originally Posted by sexyscionlover
stretching tires has nothing to do with ignorance, it has to do with what the owner thinks looks good. you have no backing on this subject since you have no expierence, plain and simple. in the words of sarcasm, "next?"
You're right. The more I read what the "stretchers" have to say in this thread, the more I think it has little to do with ignorance, but everything to do with arrogance. And you are right in that I have no personal experience with stretched tires in the arena of personal use. But like I said before, I don't have to personally participate in something to know it isn't a good idea.

"Stretchers" are using a product outside of its specified range of application. They are doing so at their own risk, and opening themselves up to all of the problems that can ensue. Those problems range from uneven tire wear and poor tread life, to bad performance and tire failure. "Plain and Simple."

And as you and "Sarcasm" so eloquently put it... "Next..."
Old 10-28-2005, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Really quick, is it possible for airbags to pop? I never seen it happen, but it is possible. I have air ride so I have grounds to speak of this. So what if your airride pops and you go out of control and you hurt somebody else..... Our cars aren't meant to have air ride. It wasn't designed that way from scion and toyota.

"Stretchers" are fully aware that they will have some tire wear and tread life compromised but they choose to do it anyway because they've done their research. Those things only happen to an extent depending on the situations and how extreme you take it.

all your doing now is
we don't care
Old 10-28-2005, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

An airbag that is properly installed and used is as reliable as a tire that is properly installed and used. An improperly installed or used airbag is as reliable as an improperly installed tire. I'll leave it at that. You guys have fun stretching your tires.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

your still jumping around the question...once again...DOES ANYONE ON THIS SITE HAVE ANY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE WHERE A STRETCHED TIRE HAS JUST QUIT LIFE ON YOU??? Until anyone can answer that, please stop using this "its unreliable, you'll die, you'll kill other people, its not warrantied"...its useless space!
Old 10-28-2005, 05:18 PM
5 Year Member

That is so stupid. I'm a member of OSHA and the NAPA safety Assoc. This is not something you should do. Couple reasons:

1. Its dangerous

2. Its ugy

3. Why?

4. Are you japenese or chinese?

5. Why are you racist?

Thank you.

BTW. ...Looks real good..........NOT. Thats possibly the dumbest thing I've ever seen any new street racer do.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1. Its dangerous-NO

2. Its ugy-Your Ugly

3. Why?-Styling and for Fitment issues

4. Are you japenese or chinese?-Yes, Japanese.

5. Why are you racist?-No, R U? Does it matter I'm Japanese?

Thank you.

BTW. ... You sound really smart..........NOT. Your POST is possibly the dumbest thing I've ever seen on Scionlife
Old 10-28-2005, 05:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

do any tire manufacturers make tires specifically for this purpose? (i.e. the stretch is designed to be within use tolerance) because then the stretched tire people could attain this look without placing unnecessary liability on themselves.
I would think that if there is a market for something, then it will be made by somebody, unless there is a reason not to. (e.g. it is an intrinsically bad idea)
Old 10-28-2005, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MikeBendel
That is so stupid. I'm a member of OSHA and the NAPA safety Assoc. This is not something you should do. Couple reasons:

1. Its dangerous

2. Its ugy

3. Why?

4. Are you japenese or chinese?

5. Why are you racist?

Thank you.

BTW. ...Looks real good..........NOT. Thats possibly the dumbest thing I've ever seen any new street racer do.
1. put your keys in your car

2. drive to big cliff

3. put in drive and slam the gas

4. don't get out of car

now thats dangerous, but really, you should try it sometime, world would be better without racists POS's like you! why does it matter chinese or japanese? what does that have to do with anything???

That is so stupid. I'm a member of OSHA and the NAPA safety Assoc
wow really!!?? cool!!! still doesn't mean you know krap about cars

once again, please quit life

-Thank You

Quick Reply: Are stretched tires good or bad you think?