Notices

Tire Brands

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 04:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From another thread, it seems the Xb odometer/speedometer is calibrated to P185/65R15. Why Scion went with P185/60R15 is another question? Goodyear LS tire deal?
Old 07-13-2006, 04:18 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The speedometer is calibrated for 185/65R15, but the odometer is NOT.

With 185/60R15 tires the odometer is 3 or 4 percent short, with 185/65R15 tires it is 6 or 7 perceent short.

There is NO tire size that will give a correct reading for both.

Scion went with the 185/60R15 size for looks - the 'market' Scion was aiming for is much more concerned with fashion than function when it comes to tires...

(BTW, the xB Repair Manual shows 185/60R15 in one place and 185/65R15 in another which makes me think that the change in size from the bB was late in the planning. The owner's manual, of course, says 185/60R15.)

Why Scion went wwith the brand/model of tire they did was probably price, though. They could have chosen a lot better tire...

Here's one of the charts (Courtesy TireRack.com) that I looked at while considering replacement tires in a larger size...

Enjoy!

Tomas
Old 07-13-2006, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tomas
Yes, the stock tire size for the xB is 185/60R15. The 185/65R15 is the stock size for the bB, and is 0.4 inch larger than the stock xB tire.

That would mean that the 205/60R15 tire is not only 0.79 inch wider, it is 0.65 inch taller than the stock tire...
You say that like it's a BAD thing.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:52 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Heheheheheheheh... It can be good, bad, or indifferent depending on the effects wanted.

Just remember, with tires that large the speed indicated on the speedo will be LOWER than your actual speed. That makes it a LOT easier to slip and get a tickee...
Old 07-14-2006, 03:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i run BFG g-force KDW i like them.. nice in the weather and pretty quiet.. or the G-force sport
Old 07-14-2006, 04:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

So true Tomas. Then you could just set it to the posted speed limit instead of 4-5 over like normal.
Old 07-15-2006, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

One thing I'm sure of is that the stock goodyears suck desperately. Mine give a lot of road noise on some surfaces, and aren't very good in the wet, at all..

Partially because it was tough to justify high end tires on an older vehicle, my previous ride, the ancient turbo Volvo, got a set of Warriors from Discount tire. Public-label Goodyears, per the local manager. I wasn't expecting a lot, because of the price, but ended up being very pleasantly surprised. Nice soft rubber and blocky tread stuck terrifically, they were good in the rain, also snow, probably because I had 'em siped- and they were quiet, other than some wap- wap on concrete expansion joints...

They're the first thing I'll look at when I'm ready to replace these funky LS Goodyears- I don't think I can stand to wear 'em out...

I'll go with Tomas about diameter- better a little small than too big, both for speedo accuracy and power...

Around here, the State Patrol will give you 5-7mph over, no sweat. Being a chronic and habitual speeder, I don't want that to turn out to be 10mph, which is where they seem to draw the line... Nor am I prepared to deal with the mental gymnastics of in my head on the fly speedo corrections on a daily basis...

Speeding tickets are an expensive bother, not to mention the paranoia of having some points and dreading more, along with the insurance company getting deeper into my shorts...

but I still speed, any way- at least I'm not going faster than I think I am...
Old 07-15-2006, 04:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have to go with tomas on the Bf goodrich traction AT they are an outstanding replacement for the stock tires. they virtually eliminate hydroplaning which was so bad in my Xa I was scared to death to drive in the rain before I go them. I couldn't be happier with these tires. I am still running the stock rims. I have run yokohamas and they are good tires but seem to wear out faster and heaven forbid ice or snow here in colorado. I can't afford to take the risk any longer I think I am sold on BF Goodrich they perform very well in all driving conditions. They might not look as cool as some other tires but my life depends on my tires and I have seen better stopping,wet whether handling,ice,snow,and long tread life. These are all the components that make an outstanding tire to me the car handles a little bit better than the factory tires in the corners and thats good enough for me thanks tomas for your amazing insight into some wonderful tires without your advice i would have gone with another set of overpriced yokohamas. I still keep a set of yokohamas on some beat up rims for going to the old closed airport runway and having fun in the summer. but for everyday driving I'll never go back.
Old 07-15-2006, 03:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

While there are a lot of considerations, part of what I want is tires that are quiet, that don't develop a lot of road noise on the usual blacktop surfaces. While the stock Goodyears are fine on concrete, the transition to asphalt means they're gonna whine and develop a lot of noise...

How are the BFG's that Tomas recommends, compared to the stockers? And what about other options from people who have them?
Old 07-15-2006, 03:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you want quality and have the money go with the pirellis thats wut im fitted on an i love them wouldn't go with any other tire
Old 07-15-2006, 04:36 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The tread pattern on the BFGs doesn't appear to be noisy, but being a more, uh, "heavy duty" type of tire they do conduct noise from the road surface changes just like any other tire.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

tomas great call on a great set of tires thats all I can say and noise isn't an isue at all. I find no issues with these tires. They may not be the most trendy looking tire but they do one heck of a job and for the price you can't go wrong.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Tire Brands

Originally Posted by dekthai
My rims should be in sometime next week and i was just glancing at the different tires out there. Which brands are you running on your car? i'm looking at probably getting the 15" Falken Ziex 512s for about $55/tire mounted and balanced.

what are your thoughts on brands/models in relation to price/traction/durability?

That's a damn good tire. I run them year round on my box. They ride extremely well in the rain & have very good dry grip. I run a 205/55-15 size on my box. I've run my box in the canyons a couple of times & they stick to the tarmac pretty well. Not as good as the Hankook Ventus R-S2 Z212 tires that I have on my Sentra, but then again, the Z212s were designed for extreme dry grip while the ZE-512s were designed for all weather grip. I blow through a set of Z212s about once a month or every 2 months, while the ZE-512s still look very good at 5 months! Ha! ( ^_^)
Old 07-17-2006, 04:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks again for the input guys!
Old 07-17-2006, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I was also thinking about Sumitomo HTR+ or BFG g-Force Sport tires. What are your opinons on those?
Old 07-17-2006, 05:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

my xA came with stock bridgestone potenzas and they DONT suck, its actually a VERY good tire which im very impressed with. When my tires ran out i just bought rims and slapped Toyo T1-S, im more of the performance inclined when it comes to tires, but thats just me. Ive heard very good things from Nitto.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I was going to go with the Kumho 711's, but I ended up going with the Toyo Proxes 4. I haven't got them yet though, so I can't give a review, but I only hear positive things about them!
Old 08-30-2006, 05:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i had a friend that died running a set of nitto's a few years ago when the rear end of his integra broke away in a turn we were both traveling in excess of 100 mph I was in my wrx not to say nittos are bad but I did see them break away and lose traction at high speed i cannot remember the exact nitto tire it was. on the stock goodyears I had wet weather traction problems bigtime before I switched over to the BF but the scion dealership corrected the problem for the rest of teh life of the tire they said they have to run at exactly 35 pounds of air. hope that helps you guys stuck with stockers for now. but I have about 10k on the bf taction tomas recomended and I am still overwhelmingly pleased with the tires.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pep Boy s Futura 2000LTE in P185/60R15
Old 01-24-2007, 06:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by 06PolarWhitexB
I was also thinking about Sumitomo HTR+ or BFG g-Force Sport tires. What are your opinons on those?
bump--baby needs new shoes!

Anyone with experience on Sumitomo tires??

Quick Reply: Tire Brands