Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by BoxOffice
Originally Posted by bB2NER
I'm really surprised that Toyota suggested such a low pressure? That might be part of why the EPA mpg. averages were so low.
I'm guessing it had to do with ride comfort. Running that low a psi effectively makes the tire sidewall part of the suspension, absorbing some of the harshness of the little Boxes' ride.
I can start to tell the difference in ride quality at about 33-34psi, and although it definitely helps mpg, it only gets worse from there.
The more I thought about it I agree with your idea. Because they chose the WRONG struts and shocks outta the box, the 29 psi was a bandaid to help cure it.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I just put new tires on my box and I also brought it to a front in alignment shop. This guy has a great reputation and has been doing front in alignments for 40 years. He told me that I should put 40 psi in the front and 30 psi in the back. He also told me to ALWAYS get the tires rotated every 6,000 miles without fail, which I already knew. Anyway, I did what he said and I found the ride to actually be a lot better.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by OTACORB
I just put new tires on my box and I also brought it to a front in alignment shop. This guy has a great reputation and has been doing front in alignments for 40 years. He told me that I should put 40 psi in the front and 30 psi in the back. He also told me to ALWAYS get the tires rotated every 6,000 miles without fail, which I already knew. Anyway, I did what he said and I found the ride to actually be a lot better.
Different in front and rear?? And this guy knows more about tire pressures than Scion does??? Hmmmmm . . . . .
Old 04-20-2008, 04:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by pooder
Different in front and rear?? And this guy knows more about tire pressures than Scion does??? Hmmmmm . . . . .
Scion didn't know much about what struts and shocks to use so why is it such a stretch that they messed up the tire pressures?
How bout someone find out what the recomended tire pressures were for the bB. I'd be surprised if they were as low as the 29 psi suggested for the xB.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by pooder
That's a very old front-wheel-drive practice to help cure the inherent understeer that was so overwhelming in early front-drivers back in the '70s, etc. (although usually not that big a differentiation front to rear; more like 4-6psi). Progress in both basic suspensions, chassis rigidity and the use of front and rear sway bars, etc., have taken away most of that problem (though it is still somewhat built-in by most most car manufacturers as a safety precaution so that John Q. Public doesn't slide his car backward off the first hot corner he takes - a la Porsche Turbo - and sues the manufacturer!), so cars like ours now come with even front/rear recommended pressures.
However, as you found, you can get the car to be a bit more "neutral" cornering-wise by doing this kind of thing - though I'd be hard-pressed to run 40 on my own car - and you might even be able to induce some oversteer if you take the pressure differentials to enough of an extreme. I do this on my aftermarket tire and wheel setup, with about 36 front, 30-32 rear. It makes the car feel less like the front end is going to push out in hard cornering.