Notices

Wheel fitment PICTURES ONLY thread!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 01:41 PM
SL Member

LOVE THOSE WHEELS!!

Originally Posted by MPRZ
Alright, I may as well throw mine into the mix.

Suspension: H&R 1.5" drop springs on Koni STR shocks and struts with about 2 degrees of camber in the front; rear is at factory setting.

Wheels: 16x8 ET25 front and 16x9 ET15 rear with no spacers. Light roll on the rear fenders and the only (very slight) rub is at the inside front at full lock.

Tires: Trash that's getting replaced soon. They're currently 205/50R16 all around, and I'll be changing the front to 195/50R16 when they're swapped. It will bring the overall diameter almost exactly to stock and I'm hoping will correct the rubbing.

The wheels were a used find that I'm not sure I'll be keeping yet. I love the way they look on the car, but they weigh a ton and the brand isn't exactly highly regarded in performance circles. I'm going for weight reduction with this project, so this choice was admittedly a bit counterintuitive. Whatever. I'm also doing a whole lot of research into how I might be able to bring the roll center and scrub radius back to a more functional level. The car handles decently well as it sits, but it can definitely be better. I also have poly bushings for the whole shebang that are just waiting for a weekend where I'm less busy and/or lazy and can install them.
Old 04-07-2021, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

@MPRZ That's one clean looking box...
Old 04-09-2021, 02:12 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by MileHightC
@MPRZ That's one clean looking box...
Thanks!
Old 04-20-2021, 02:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

When I got my '06 in cold cold Minnesota February, it had 14" steelies on it, with 10 year old tires. Had to get tires right away.
As weather warmed, I began looking for cheaper 14" wheels that looked good, to which I could remount my brand new tires. These are from a 2001 Corolla. $100.
Keeping it in the family, anyway.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-20-2021 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 04-20-2021, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

Originally Posted by blumontag
As weather warmed, I began looking for cheaper 14" wheels that looked good, to which I could remount my brand new tires. These are from a 2001 Corolla. $100.
Nothing at all wrong with those wheels and no one would ever guess they are 'only' $100 wheels.
Old 04-23-2021, 09:25 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by blumontag
When I got my '06 in cold cold Minnesota February, it had 14" steelies on it, with 10 year old tires. Had to get tires right away.
Keeping it in the family, anyway.

Those look fantastic. I really dig how the angles of the spokes compliment the shape of the head and tail lights from the side. That's a mighty fine score for $100.
Old 04-23-2021, 09:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Those look fantastic. I really dig how the angles of the spokes compliment the shape of the head and tail lights from the side. That's a mighty fine score for $100.
thanks. Nice observation on the shapes!
Old 04-24-2021, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've got MR2 wheels in 15x6.5". Didn't get quite as good deal as those Corolla ones, but still great value.
I'm looking for some 16x8 et38 next...

Old 04-24-2021, 10:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Those look great! My wife and I each have xA’s and I figured maybe I should look for snow tires since I now had an extra set of steelies after getting the Corolla wheels.
I found a set of Michelin X Ice made in late 2019 ( so very low miles... just over one winter) that a guy used on his Miata. Mounted on new steelies same center bore and offset as our Scions.
Rims and tires for $175. Probably put them on my wife’s car next winter. Still have empty set of steelies, so maybe I’ll just keep looking for another bargain!

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-25-2021 at 02:17 AM.
Old 04-25-2021, 04:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

heh, heh... we have his and hers as well!

We just bought house in Mesa, AZ, so won't be needing any snow tyres soon. ;) But would like to get something to replace factory steelies on white car. Leaning towards 16x8" Enkei RPF1s as the they have proper 38mm offset. Will let me run 215/45-16 tyres without needing excessive camber to avoid rubbing. I don't like feel of street cars with too much camber, makes steering vague without feedback (also reduces braking-grip). Change in scrub-radius from pushing wheels outwards also causes darting and hunting front-end when hitting bumps.

Last edited by DannoXYZ; 04-26-2021 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-26-2021, 02:07 PM
SL Member

wow, never seen a yellow xB. looks pretty awesome
Old 04-26-2021, 04:45 PM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Originally Posted by carollwood
Wow, never seen a Yellow xB. looks pretty awesome
Check Out:

Sticky 2005 xB Release Series 2.0 Solar Yellow- Limited Edition of 2,500 Units

Sticky FAQ Release Series 2.0 - Solar Yellow

MR LUV

Old 05-17-2021, 08:30 AM
SL Member

Might as well jump in the mix

Wheels: 17x7 et +35 (or +38, not sure but they clear with a little room to spare) Crimson Club Linea Lucida with hubcentric rings.

Tires: 205/40zr17

Suspension: Beat stock springs and struts.

No rubbing lock to lock. Won’t know how they fit lowered. Couldn’t pass up JDM wheels with new tires for $400.

Old 05-17-2021, 01:06 PM
SL Member

Seriously...those are the best looking wheels I've ever seen on an xB!!! Very unique and stylish. I'm currently looking for a set!!

Originally Posted by Low_Kei
Might as well jump in the mix

Wheels: 17x7 et +35 (or +38, not sure but they clear with a little room to spare) Crimson Club Linea Lucida with hubcentric rings.

Tires: 205/40zr17

Suspension: Beat stock springs and struts.

No rubbing lock to lock. Won’t know how they fit lowered. Couldn’t pass up JDM wheels with new tires for $400.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-17-2021 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-18-2021, 06:29 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by CBRKLR
Seriously...those are the best looking wheels I've ever seen on an xB!!! Very unique and stylish. I'm currently looking for a set!!
These are the cheaper of the options of companies that make this style (Crimson is still pricey, I just got lucky. And these are flow formed one piece. There is another one piece version but I forgot who makes them.)

The other two companies I know for sure that make this style are AME (Crown Jewel), and SSR (They make the three piece version and are pricey). Like I said, I got my set for a steel because the kid didn’t really know what he had.

People will usually try to compare prices of our JDM wheels to what they find on Croooober or UpGarage, but never figure in the cost of shipping and import fees. Buying off Croooober or UpGarage isn’t worth it unless you are sharing a shipping container with someone. So if you find a set of $300 JDM wheel on UpGarage or Croooober, be prepared to spend another $600 just in shipping costs. This doesn’t figure in tax or import fees. That $300 set of wheels just became an$1200-1500 set of used wheels.
Old 06-30-2021, 04:16 PM
SL Member

I decided to switch things up a bit in a more conservative direction (apologies for the poor camera focus).

The wheels are Konig 15x7 ET35 wrapped in Kumho 205/55R15 tires. The improvement in handling and ride quality over the 16s I had on her previously is remarkable. I think the weight was the biggest factor - the 16s clock in at nearly 20lbs each while these are about half that. Add in the weight of the tires and that's a huuuge difference on a subcompact with dinky suspension components.
Old 06-30-2021, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I decided to switch things up a bit in a more conservative direction (apologies for the poor camera focus).

The wheels are Konig 15x7 ET35 wrapped in Kumho 205/55R15 tires. The improvement in handling and ride quality over the 16s I had on her previously is remarkable. I think the weight was the biggest factor - the 16s clock in at nearly 20lbs each while these are about half that. Add in the weight of the tires and that's a huuuge difference on a subcompact with dinky suspension components.
I'm glad you're happy with the improved ride and handling. In the past, I'd tried 17's and didn't care for the ride although the increased handling was pretty awesome. I'm currently running 16's and find them to be a pretty good compromise. Remember, tire choice alone can make a huge difference in ride and handling - even in a 15" tire.

As for the wheel choice, that's exactly why I don't like black wheels. You can spend all the money you want on a great pattern with intricate machining and the black finish makes it all but invisible. At least they look dirty all the time. But the great thing about this country is that everybody has the right to their own opinion. Enjoy!
Old 06-30-2021, 06:04 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by 2stroked
I'm glad you're happy with the improved ride and handling. In the past, I'd tried 17's and didn't care for the ride although the increased handling was pretty awesome. I'm currently running 16's and find them to be a pretty good compromise. Remember, tire choice alone can make a huge difference in ride and handling - even in a 15" tire.
Thanks. IMO, 16 is aesthetically about the perfect wheel size for our cars. I really wanted to make them work, but those cast wheels were absolute boat anchors. The best analogy I can think of is tying sandbags to a cat's feet.

Originally Posted by 2stroked
As for the wheel choice, that's exactly why I don't like black wheels. You can spend all the money you want on a great pattern with intricate machining and the black finish makes it all but invisible. At least they look dirty all the time. But the great thing about this country is that everybody has the right to their own opinion. Enjoy!
I'm normally of the same mindset, but these actually look a lot better in proper lighting. That pic was taken right before the sky completely opened up. My long term plan is to have the box resprayed in Toyota Cement Gray. It's that weird industrial gray that's been popping up on new cars in the past few years, and I think it'll be a nice contrast against the gloss black wheels.

Old 06-30-2021, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks. IMO, 16 is aesthetically about the perfect wheel size for our cars. I really wanted to make them work, but those cast wheels were absolute boat anchors. The best analogy I can think of is tying sandbags to a cat's feet.
Too much unsprung weight will do that. Totally screws up both ride and handling. Imagine what a 99 Crown Vic with 28's rides and handles like.
Old 06-30-2021, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I think 16 is just about right size. I'm looking at Enkei RPF1 in 16x8" +38 next. They weigh 15.6-lbs each, which is about 4-lbs less than stock steelies and couple pounds less than current my MR2 wheels. Those did have noticeable ride-quality and handling improvement compared to stock, even with just 2-lbs savings. Looking forward to shaving another 2-lbs per corner and getting that much improvement again!

There was teaser vapourware at show that never made it to market. Volk TE-37s made from titanium! Weighed about 7-lbs each... droool... Probably would've cost fortune!!! Now we've got CF wheels starting to appear... although it appears they're still heavier than magnesium ones. Had set of those on my track car and was simply amazing...

Last edited by DannoXYZ; 06-30-2021 at 09:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Wheel fitment PICTURES ONLY thread!