Notices

Why not selling low offset wheels??

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Why not selling low offset wheels??

I checked with Tirerack and Discounttiredirect and they don't carry anything with low offset amount (38mm is as low as they can get). I contacted them and asked them about wheels with lower offset and both gave me the same reply..."If you don't get what we recommend, you will have issues like rubbing or possibly more serious problems." As far as I know, installing wheels with 35mm offset doesn't cause any issues. At other sites, I found some wheels with 18mm offset. What is the reason for the big guys like Tirerack and Discounttiredirect don't carry wheels with 30-35mm offset? Are there any hidden risks with 30-35mm offset wheels?
Old 09-30-2003, 10:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Discount Tire Direct

Discount Tire Direct carries the Antera line of wheels which offer a couple 17" applications with 35 offset. They are for the Antera 309 in 7.5×17 and the Antera 321 Monoblock in 7.0×17. They also carry the Azev line of wheels that can have a custom offset made as the wheels can come blank. These wheels can come ET20 or so depending on the style. I have a referal over there if you're interested. The sales guy's name is Andre Rauen at (800) 589-6789 Ext 425. I don't know anyone at the Rack.

As far as risks with low offset issues, I agree that it can happen if you go to an extreme. 18 offset is way too low in my opinion for the Scion unless you do some serious custom cambering or possible custom fender flares. I test fitted the 17×7.5 ET35 on my xB and it came fluch with the fender in the front and slightly tucked in the rear. The rears can probably go ET25 with a 7.5" width to make it more aggressive, but then you lose the ability to rotate tires.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

they sell high offset wheels because that is what hondas use, and that is what people are buying. as soon as more cars are available with lower offset wheels in 4x100, then they will sell them. right now they are rare. or you can get some from japan. also try super autobacs. they have a lot of geniune JDM wheels for good prices.
Old 10-01-2003, 01:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Eric's right on.. it's because of the Hondas. And it's also because of the US consumer's penchant for wanting to buy cheap parts. Notice that most wheel companies that cater to the sport compact market offer knockoff wheels... they take the hard work and design of other manufacturers and make a straight up ripoff wheel in a high (i.e. Honda) offset, and then hock them to the US consumer at dirt cheap prices. But they can get away with it because, unfortunately, that's what the US consumer wants. If you want to see more quality wheel options available in the US, you should do your part to show the aftermarket that you're willing to maybe pay a little more for something that is constructed well, of an original design, and is available in the correct fitments for your particular application. Eventually manufacturers will catch on and start offering such wheels in the US (notice you can get nice wheels in better fitments almost everywhere else in the world) and those quality wheels will actually be readily available AND affordable. I'd even say that at least one Japanese manufacturer is doing its part to spearhead this movement. Just check out what wheel most of the D1 cars were running...
Old 10-01-2003, 03:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default BBS RX rim

Guys, thanks for your advise. I found out that BSS made 16 x 7 wheel with 35mm offset. Design wise not my best wheels, but I may try. I want to stay with 16" wheels.
Old 10-01-2003, 07:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

smily: you should check your PMs... I sent you a PM about wheels, and I'm in the Bay Area too.