xB new wheels maybe - quiet tires for sure

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default xB new wheels maybe - quiet tires for sure

Man, I'm very much digging the stuff here on Moons and Works. Here's my deal:

One of my original tires is dying - can't be fixed. I've been using the brushed aluminum Racing Discs lately for hub caps. We know how clicky they are (and the guy who appropriated one of mine in a parking lot must know that, too). I prefer smooth, anyway.

I like Moon Smoothies, Starburst and Turbine - don't know if the stock wheels will handle Saturns.

Then again, I'm liking the Work Leadsleds - a friend is checking on Japan availability.

My hurt is that I need to find the quietest tires (broken ears - long story), no matter what kind of wheel.

If I keep the stock wheels, I'll replace all tires. If I go for Leadsleds, that's four new ones there, too. Or - what's quieter wheel-wise?

Can anyone advise me on finding the least noisy road-rubber?

Tx for all info!
Old 04-21-2007, 06:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Theres a set of Work Leadsleds for sale over on the bB Squad forum... Just a heads up. =)
Old 04-22-2007, 12:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tx - will check. Civics are great!
Old 08-27-2007, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Mooning over Moonies

So I gave up on Work Leadsleds. Why? Because they appear to have a logo on them, and that's not my style.

Got new tires ( Michelin Harmony - quietest I could find) and proceeded to Mooneyes for hub caps. Sent away for the Hub Cap Spacers (aka "Smoothies" at hubcapmike.com), which Moon says is the only model which "will fit front-wheel drive."

Problem is this: Their tooth flange is too short - teeth don't extend far enough into the rim to grab that inner lip. They're bound to fall off at the first bump. Here's my attempt to share the picture of the issue (shiny Moon on left, Racer on right): .

Am I SOL? Is there any hope for putting a nice hub cap on my little ride? Is the only choice the Ripple Disc http://www.hubcapmike.com/ripple_discs_hubcaps.html? They're very cool, but a bit loud for my taste.

Any ideas?

Tx for info!
Old 08-28-2007, 04:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I never noticed any logos on them. I mean, a logo kills the deal? they are hot rims! and you can get the custom offsets and widths. do dynamat too if the car is too loud. you'd hate my car then. tires are always singing
Old 08-28-2007, 04:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tx for yr reply. I like the Works bc they're simple. The logo destroys that, and forces me to advertise something I don't love. No one's been able to confirm that what the pic shows isn't a logo, so I nixed them.

If u know someone with them, who can confirm that the pix I've seen are messed up, or of an old model, I'm all over it. In the meantime, I'm still going after hubs that work!

And tx for the dynamat ref. W/check on.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Yea, the leadsleds have a very small scroll work on the centercap. I don't see how that's any different from a seal on the centercap.

They're friggin sexy wheels.

Here's the 'logo' in question.

I still think they're mad clean.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmmm, I guess my background in japanese aftermarket and such was a little lax. but I never really saw these rims up close. but I like the scroll myself.