Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Clear coat/ transluscent candy paint question

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 07:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Clear coat/ transluscent candy paint question

I have my TCM for 15 months already, and getting a little tired of the color already. Not that I don't like the color, but lately i've been seeing more and more TCM, just the company in front of ours have both(2) stock TCM for company use, and going to and coming from work, I see at least 2 TCM on the road.

My question is:
is there a top coat that can be sprayed on top of my xB's clear coat that is kinda transluscent candy color( red, or blue, or even green tint)?
If this is do-able, how much do you think a shop would charge for this?
thanks,
Old 04-08-2005, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Admin Emeritus
SL Member

dont know of any paint companies that offer a colored clear coat, but i do know that you can use a pearlescent paint which will add the illusion of the base coat w/ just a hint of other colors mixed into your paint. For example: white paint w/ red or blue pearl the base color is white but at different angles you can see red or blue colors but not like a full on chameileon paint which will actually changes the entire color. Depending on the materials, labor, & shop. You could expect to pay @ least $1000.00 or more for a decent paint job.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member

You'd have spray a Candy color and reclear the whole car. Were you just wanting to spray the candy over the TCM adn use the TCM as a base color?? I would check with a shop if they would do that. My guess is that they would want to sand the car down primer and seal it and then spray the base, then the candy, then clear.

I know that you won't find any colored clears. Clear coat is just that a clear coat. Just as cockpit has said there are pearls that you can add to a clear so it gives off a different color when the sun hits the color just right.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for the reply guys. Yes I still want the TCM as the base color, its just a waste if they have to sand it down, I'm more of thinking of some slight rubbing chemical that will be apply to the current clearcoat to make it paintable, thus, still saving the base coat and clear coat. then spray a final coat of candy/tint transluscent paint if it even exist
I guess I have to stop this day dreaming
thanks,
Old 04-10-2005, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

you could sand your clear with 600 grit paper, mix a pearl of a color of your choice in some fresh clear spray on an that would make you look different.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

almost any candy paint will work, our tcm color is very close to a house of color orion silver. if you go to a paint supplier you should be able to see what the color will look like sprayed over silver. i used to have a lowrider and it was all about the candy paint, make sure you get it done right cause if its not sprayed in a certain stroke you will get clouding. hope this little bit of info helps.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

TCM makes a great basecolor for a candy(because of high mettallic)
the shop would have to 600 wet sand your clearcoat...spray the candy color then re-clear.