Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Drip rail?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 04:46 PM
Banned
SL Member

Default Drip rail?

Ok, so "Dennis" has reached Ohio and it's raining. I like to roll my box with the windows down but when it rains I get pounded with rain from the top of the windows. In the past Vent Shades normally solved this problem so I installed them on the box... no change. I'm just curious if anyone has tried anything to stop the shower.

I was thinking about getting some 1/4" body molding (black) and putting it around the edge of the Vent Shades and maybe run a long piece down the length of the box top, above the doors. I'm thinking this may help deflect the water a little better.

Has anyone else tried anything?

Oh yea, here's the first reply:

Problem fix: Roll the windows up when raining.

(Figured I'd say it before someone else did).
Old 07-13-2005, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

roll up the windows when raining

Old 07-13-2005, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Wow, rain comes in the windows when they are down? You may want to have the dealer take a look...

The ventshades seem like they would eliminate the problem, but you'd probably need to keep the windows up past the bottom edge which wouldn't give much opening. Maybe the E'Sams, but I don't know if they work any better but since they are bigger, they might.

Another situation where having the rear quarter glass open out to vent would be helpful...
Old 07-13-2005, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Problem may be vacuum in the cabin created by the Vent Shades. I would try it with the fan on high, bringing in "fresh air", to make the car interior under "pressure" because the air coming in has to go somewhere, like out the windows, and that would keep the rain out. Just a suggestion. Do you just have the the drivers windows down, or all. If all are down, I doubt if this suggestion would help, but if it is just your window, would think it would do the trick. (must be bringing in outside air with blower.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

if the vent shades aren't completely sealed then the water will still leak thru, i do the same with my truck. the driver side has started to detach and it is as if they arent there.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheScionicMan
Wow, rain comes in the windows when they are down? You may want to have the dealer take a look...
Old 07-13-2005, 09:10 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmmmmmmm...

Coming from nearly 60 years of experience in "rain country*" my considered opinion is to echo the first post: "Roll up the windows when raining."

I would have a similar suggestion to those who like to drive with their sun/moon roofs open... :D

* Seattle ranks behind a lot of cities when it comes to annual rainfall totals. Chicago, Houston, New York City, and Miami, among others, all get more rain per year than Seattle's 37 inches.

But that's because while it indeed rains a lot here, it doesn't rain very heavily. It could rain all day here, and we'll pick up maybe 0.10" of rain. Meanwhile, a 20 minute thunderstorm in Miami could drop 0.75" of rain.

On the other hand, our area is still the champ when it comes to number of cloudy days. Seattle ranks in the top 5 nationally 226 cloudy days per year behind Anchorage, Forks, Astoria and Olympia (60 miles south of Seattle). We're in the top 20 with 140 days of measurable rain.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="TheScionicMan"]Wow, rain comes in the windows when they are down? You may want to have the dealer take a look...

Wow -- tuff crowd
Old 07-13-2005, 10:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

[quote="moonray"]

Wow -- tuff crowd
Hey, Now. I gave a wink and some opinion too. The OP was expecting to get busted on, I din't want to disappoint...
Old 07-13-2005, 11:33 PM
Banned
SL Member

Ok dick-heads, I knew I'd get some crappie remarks on this... let me try to put this on a level that you'll understand...

(Scenerio)
It's stopped raining.... there is water on top of your vehicle.... and your window is down.... you back out of the driveway and turn the car to the right while backing.... water comes pouring in on the driver's side.... do you have any ideas or are you all on here just to make smart-a$$ remarks?

When I find the fix I'll be sure to keep it to myself.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think the problem is that iyour window is open guy. thats a duh thing.

when i have water on my roof and make a turn the water WILL dripp of the car. give thanks to gravity. it can be your buddy or your enemy.

oh and grow up and get some ice cream, youll feel better then
Old 07-13-2005, 11:40 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

When i go streaking.....how can i keep from being drafty?

Old 07-13-2005, 11:41 PM
5 Year Member

IMO the only solution seems to be keeping the windows up until most of the water runs off.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

or dry your car before you drive off
Old 07-14-2005, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by xBaum
IMO the only solution seems to be keeping the windows up until most of the water runs off.
^^^ right.
if you know it just stopped raining or the roof has water on it.
drive for a block to make it get off. then lower your window...

or get weather tecs, don't have the window all the way open untill you know its dry....

really easy ways to deal with this...
Old 07-14-2005, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

oh, forgot.....

moved...
Old 07-14-2005, 12:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="TheScionicMan"]
Originally Posted by moonray

Wow -- tuff crowd
Hey, Now. I gave a wink and some opinion too. The OP was expecting to get busted on, I din't want to disappoint...
Ya Ya I know -- I was just haven fun too
Old 07-14-2005, 12:54 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This: "I like to roll my box with the windows down but when it rains I get pounded with rain from the top of the windows." sounds a lot different than this: "It's stopped raining.... there is water on top of your vehicle.... and your window is down.... you back out of the driveway and turn the car to the right while backing.... water comes pouring in on the driver's side..."

Still the same answer, though (Seriously!) - if there is a strong chance of water coming in through an open window, don't open the window...

If it's currently raining keep the windows closed.

If the top of the car is very wet keep the windows closed until the water has run off. That shouldn't take more than a couple of stops and a couple of turns.

Many vehicles have this very same problem, because current design 'fashion' does not include rain gutters on most vehicle roofs. Even for those with rain sills over the doors, a load of water coming off the roof will often overload what the sill can handle, and you STILL end up with water coming in if you lower the windows too soon.

I firmly believe the 'fix' is re-training yourself not to lower the windows too early rather than calling "Gutters 'R' Us" to put in a drainage system. :D
Old 07-14-2005, 01:46 AM
Banned
SL Member

Tom, you are correct that I typed it wrong in the first place, guess I should have taken the people here into consideration before posting it that way.

I'm not stupid guys, I roll the windows up when it's raining (duh). Tom hit on what I was trying to say, that the box has no drip rail system. I plan to make my own using black stick-on body molding. I'm an old school kind of guy and I miss my old-style drip rails.

My appologies to all of you other Gods out there, sorry that I'm not as inteligent as you.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:17 AM
5 Year Member

Nothing but empathy from me, Digger. The first time I got in my car after a rain I cracked the window to get some air. Backing out of the driveway, I could not believe the amount of water that came pouring into the car from the roof. I never experienced that much from my other cars. When I got out I noticed that there was no "gutter" as my other cars have had. My solution, as recommended by others, is to drive a few moments before opening the window to let the excess water blow off.

Gerie

Quick Reply: Drip rail?