Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

driving at night..getting brights flashed at me...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 07:32 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ANY headlights can have this problem if they are not aimed correctly. Part of the proper installation of of new headlights is adjusting the aim.

There is nothing "magical" that makes headlights put out their light only in the proper direction just by bolting them in. The actually adjustment is thousandths of an inch and if it is not done the headlights may only be good for looking for groundhogs or flying saucers, depending on aim.

If people are constantly flashing you at night ADJUST YOUR DAMNED LIGHTS!!! Should take you 5-10 minutes, including setup. Sheesh! People flashing their lights at you should be enough of a hint for anyone bright enough to be driving a car.

Tom
Old 02-23-2007, 08:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tomas
ANY

If people are constantly flashing you at night ADJUST YOUR DAMNED LIGHTS!!! Should take you 5-10 minutes, including setup. Sheesh! People flashing their lights at you should be enough of a hint for anyone bright enough to be driving a car.

Tom
damm easy man i just dont have any where to set that kinda thing up to do it accuratly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i'll hit up my buddy motorcycle shop for the wall to tape off

mellow lifes to short!

i was just wondering
Old 02-23-2007, 08:26 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The place I use to check mine is a local store parking lot. I put a horizontal stripe of blue painter's tape on the back wall of the store with the top of the tape at center-of-headlight height, back up ten feet and the cutoff should just touch the bottom of the taped line. Two minutes, total. Rip tape off wall and go home.

If headlights need adjustment, adjust them. Total time 5-10 minutes. Rip tape off wall and go home.

No big deal.

http://tijil.org/headlight01.gif
http://tijil.org/headlight02.gif
http://tijil.org/headlight03.gif

Tom
Old 02-24-2007, 03:13 AM

I never had the problem with people flashing their brights at me at night until i put my 6k HID on now when i drive at night i will get flashed at at least 10 times just driving for a couple of miles but before i put them on i was never flashed at
Old 02-24-2007, 03:30 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Think about that: It means that your lights are probably glaring in other driver's eyes. Changing to HIDs in a housing designed for the exact size and shape of the filament in a precision-made halogen bulb will drastically affect the light pattern. Your headlights need to be aligned, if it is even possible.

Tom
Old 02-24-2007, 05:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

I used to get flashed all the time until I put my foglights in. Now I don't for some reason.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Dynasty
SL Member

Ive always wanted to see the expression on the person who flashes their high beams at me when I DO turn on my high beams...

Probably something like this:
Old 02-24-2007, 01:23 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i've seen the comment that it's mostly cars that flash folks...i get it from suburbans, lifted trucks, etc....i seriously doubt my headlights are that high up.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:47 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Shutterbug
i've seen the comment that it's mostly cars that flash folks...i get it from suburbans, lifted trucks, etc....i seriously doubt my headlights are that high up.
Take you 30 seconds and a blank wall to find out...
Old 02-25-2007, 07:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

umm .....yeah....

so-cal, blank walls, and cops
right now they are starting to look for any reason to bust scions

hanggin around any place is a bad idea here, especaly a wall(dam taggers! )
its just that time of the year for import harassment

but no worries i will make it happen some how

and thank you on the how to, very detailed

i think my main prob. is shock bounce it seems more possible but i will check the lights for good measure
Old 02-25-2007, 07:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It happens so much to me that when me and my buddies go on road trips, we make a game out of it. We see how many people we can get to flash me when i have my low beams on, and after they flash, i flip on my high beems just to make them feel ultra stupid!
Old 07-15-2007, 04:18 PM

Default State Trooper Pulled me over for this problem.

Hate to open this old thread but I took my new XB for my first trip out of the city this weekend. From Houston to Corpus Christi everyone kept blinking their bright lights at me. About 50 miles before I got to Corpus a State Trooper pulled me over. He wrote me a warning and said I need to have my lights adjusted or put a dimmer bulb in it!

My XB is brand new stock 2006 XB. I've never touched the lgihts or replaced the lamps. I took it to the dealer the next day and they said they are perfectly adjusted. I showed him the warning the trooper wrote me so he adjusted the lights down about an inch. Now the street signs on the right side no longer get lit!

Is there a solution to this? I don't want to get a ticket but I'd like to see the street signs too!

-GK
Old 07-15-2007, 05:26 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Were you carrying an unaccustomed load in the back of the box on the trip?

Were their ANY differences in loading between the trip and when you had the adjustment checked?

(Most state laws require the center of the "low" beam to strike the ground in front of the vehicle not more than a specified distance away.)

The Scion adjustment specs require the beam cutoff to be lower than the center of the light at a fixed distance ahead...

Tom
Old 07-17-2007, 08:48 AM

Well I did have two passengers with me and a few bags in the back but the weight of the passengers in the front would have caused the front to be lower, not higher, than normal.

I drove back with the lights adjusted down more and didn't have as many people flashing me (about half). I'm going to take it to the dealer tomorrow and ask them to adjust them properly since its only a few months old.

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:11 AM
5 Year Member

I believe this problem comes from the design of the reflectors in the lights. My girlfriend has a xb and i have an rx8. I can't stand to drive behind her at night because if she hits a bump or we are on any type of uneven surface it seems like she has her bright lights on and it blinds me. We offten get people flashing there lights at us too.

Has any had this problem using aftermarket lights? or is it just the stock ones?
Old 08-07-2007, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Brucker3
It happens so much to me that when me and my buddies go on road trips, we make a game out of it. We see how many people we can get to flash me when i have my low beams on, and after they flash, i flip on my high beems just to make them feel ultra stupid!
Why would it make someone else feel stupid that you didn't even know how to adjust your headlights? I don't get that one.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the XB lights are just brighter then most vehicles.. and sits a little higher then standard cars.. so the light is near level with people heads when they are sitting in their cars.. ive experienced this many times.. then when i flip my brights on they see the problem.. i have the same problems with raised trucks.. their lights shine right in my eyes..

really doesnt have anything to do with adjusting your headlights..
Old 08-08-2007, 06:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by boxy
I believe this problem comes from the design of the reflectors in the lights. My girlfriend has a xb and i have an rx8. I can't stand to drive behind her at night because if she hits a bump or we are on any type of uneven surface it seems like she has her bright lights on and it blinds me. We offten get people flashing there lights at us too.

Has any had this problem using aftermarket lights? or is it just the stock ones?
I have non-DOT approved bulbs in both the headlights and driving lights. PIAA Spark Blue headlights and plasma Ion Yellow fog lights. They are bright! People get out of my way when I'm behind them at night on bumpy roads but I don't get nailed by them with their brights after passing. I think that the headlights are adjusted a tad high but I almost never get hit with the highbeams from oncoming traffic. These cars aren't really higher than most other cars. I don't buy that one at all. If you've done any suspension work or changed bulbs you need to adjust the headlights. Even if you change wheels and tires you should check them. My .02
Old 08-08-2007, 06:32 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What most people don't seem to understand is that low beams should NOT shoot out straight ahead, but that the center of the beam, BY LAW should hit the road in front of the car.

To comply with most all state's laws, the horizontal cutoff should be two inches BELOW the center of the headlight at 25 feet.

Read this:

http://www.coolbulbs.com/HID-VISUAL-...-PROCEDURE.pdf

Tom
Old 08-08-2007, 06:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tomas
What most people don't seem to understand is that low beams should NOT shoot out straight ahead, but that the center of the beam, BY LAW should hit the road in front of the car.

To comply with most all state's laws, the horizontal cutoff should be two inches BELOW the center of the headlight at 25 feet.

Read this:

http://www.coolbulbs.com/HID-VISUAL-...-PROCEDURE.pdf

Tom
Unfortunately most people probably don't care as long as their headlights are lighting up the road better, great! Thanks for the aiming link. Now if only more people would do it. Arizona is the worst state I've seen for badly adjusted lights. Seems like every other car on the road has one or the other light pointing straight at oncoming traffic!

Quick Reply: driving at night..getting brights flashed at me...