Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

fender stretching

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 04:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default fender stretching

I'm looking for info on how to do this properly. I am rubbing in the front fender/bumper area. Basically at the two bolts in the fender well. Pictures would be appreciated.

I'm on Sportmax 501's 16x8 205/45/16, KSport Coilovers.

Thanks.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i got some flush head phillips bolts with the same thread / pitch as stock from lowes for a few bucks, and removed the 10mm bolts that were there originally.
or most any body shop can "roll" and "pull" your fenders. there are lots of how to's on the internet and you tube, but you will need a fender rolling tool, not to hard to come by, but if you don't "roll" them properly, you can easily ruin your paint...
Old 06-13-2008, 05:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

got any pics of your stance? i have a set of those wheels waiting for some tires, dropped on coilovers also.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

here's one of hi posts that has a few pics of his box and i think a pic of mine as well.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...light=#3493790

Flat head screws would work. I just took out th plastic fender wells. i also rolled my fenders to allow room for my 002's. with the 501's you should not have to roll the fenders much at all since they have an offset on them. You could just space them out a little. I had to do that for one of my sets of wheels. Ill ask gothbox how we did it cause i forgot lol
Old 06-13-2008, 02:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by agentorunge
got any pics of your stance? i have a set of those wheels waiting for some tires, dropped on coilovers also.
See this post for my pictures:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...137&highlight=
Old 06-13-2008, 02:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Big_hungry
Flat head screws would work. I just took out th plastic fender wells. i also rolled my fenders to allow room for my 002's. with the 501's you should not have to roll the fenders much at all since they have an offset on them. You could just space them out a little. I had to do that for one of my sets of wheels. Ill ask gothbox how we did it cause i forgot lol
It might be the screws as well, but I can see the liner has some rub holes now at that spot. Let me know what he did, that would be helpful. I'll try to take a picture this morning and post it up.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Like this?

Taken from post:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...65581&start=80
Old 06-13-2008, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Go to lowes or Home Depot and get some plastic spacers, get some longer bolts, and replace them with the stock bolt that bolts the fender to the car(remove front bumper to see this) put the spacer in between the car and the fender bracket to space the fender out from the car,

here in this pic you can see(from Just1n) the nut that he used to space his. Just get what ever size spacer you need.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yup shims or spacers between the fender and radiator support as shown is a good place to start. On my box (on air goes to the ground) I started with this before removing the bumper fender mount plastic clip and bolts entirely and mounting the fender to the bumper with a nut plate , a screw and a new longer fabricated flange on the bumper (good plastic repair adhesive and a piece of scrap bumper plastic for this). This second step is only necessary to provide clearance below -3 inches or so
Old 07-03-2008, 12:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TerribleTed
Yup shims or spacers between the fender and radiator support as shown is a good place to start. On my box (on air goes to the ground) I started with this before removing the bumper fender mount plastic clip and bolts entirely and mounting the fender to the bumper with a nut plate , a screw and a new longer fabricated flange on the bumper (good plastic repair adhesive and a piece of scrap bumper plastic for this). This second step is only necessary to provide clearance below -3 inches or so
Got a picture so I can see what you are saying?
Old 07-03-2008, 12:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by eggie
Got a picture so I can see what you are saying?
Quote from Gothbox above.

"Go to lowes or Home Depot and get some plastic spacers, get some longer bolts, and replace them with the stock bolt that bolts the fender to the car(remove front bumper to see this) put the spacer in between the car and the fender bracket to space the fender out from the car,

here in this pic you can see(from Just1n) the nut that he used to space his. Just get what ever size spacer you need." (scroll up to see the photo)

In his posted photos, the silver nuts at the bolt that bolts the fender to the fender bracket are being used as shims. You can use fatter or thinner "shims" here as needed to get the clearance you want. Be advise that the farther you go out the more visual effect there is at the fender bumper joint.....if you far enough you can cause misalignment of the bumper to the fender joint (I did not need to go that far, my fenders do look a little bit fatter but the look isn't bad).
Old 07-03-2008, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that part I get, I was talking about the bumper to fender connection and the plastic epoxy stuff. I don't understand that.

Oh and I still rub with the fender out so maybe I missed something.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

you may need to run a little neg camber up front then.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am. It usually rubs with the aggressive cornering and big dips.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah that plastic fender to bumper clip is in the way remove it and attach the bumper to the fender with a screw directly thru the little skinny bumper edge up into the fender. The problem is that the plastic flange on the bumper is very narrow here (about 1/4 inch minus) and therefore weak. I glued a piece of bumper material froma salvage bumper to this flange to make it wider (like 1/2 inch) and the put the screw thru it into the fender (use a screwplate instead of going directly into the fender sheet metal ...stronger this way)...the result is much stronger than the thim bumper flange only. Pictures are impossible without dissassembling the front bumper...sorry not planning to do that soon. (Note I also cut away some of my fender liner above the factory fender bumper plastic thingy after removing the thingy...pop riveted in a smooth piece (no bulge down) from a garbage fender liner to fill the hole).

If you have too wide a wheel/tire or an offset that is not inward enuf none of this may solve your rubbing. My wheels are 18X7.5 with a 42MM offset.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Dynasty
SL Member

question about stretching the fender, if u do that do u have to do something special to the front bumper so it still sits flush with the fender and bumper
Old 07-05-2008, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionxbdriver07
question about stretching the fender, if u do that do u have to do something special to the front bumper so it still sits flush with the fender and bumper
Not if you do not shim the fender out too far. You can add shims and look at the fender bumper joint....when you start to see misalignment then you are stretching as far as you can without doing other mods (to maintain a good even look that is).
Old 07-05-2008, 06:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Dynasty
SL Member

Not if you do not shim the fender out too far. You can add shims and look at the fender bumper joint....when you start to see misalignment then you are stretching as far as you can without doing other mods (to maintain a good even look that is).
alright so if i do way the guy with the PW xb with the picture did ^, i should be fine, with doing that and adding the bumper and it will be flush
Old 07-05-2008, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

alright so if i do way the guy with the PW xb with the picture did ^, i should be fine, with doing that and adding the bumper and it will be flush
Of that I am not sure. Those installed nuts look pretty thick to me. I did not shim that far myself. I only shimmed about 50-60% of that thickness I think. My bumper sits fine with the shims I used. This is a trial and error busines. Your exact tire and wheel combo, ride height, wheel offset, alignment etc. will all effect the clearance available. So you go to the auto supply store and get enough body shims to build 2 stacks 1/2" or so tall. Remove the bumper add some shims to both sides and put the bumper back in place. With a helper you can guage clearances by holding the unbolted bumper in place and looking. Add or subtract shims till you get the best fit and look for your needs. If you still have clearance issues then do additional mods to eliminate them.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Dynasty
SL Member

by shim, do u mean like a bolt or washer? to space it

Quick Reply: fender stretching