Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Front running lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2024 | 05:26 PM
SL Member

Default Front running lights not working

Hello xB nation
So I tried using my running lights while standing at a curb, and noticed the turn signals on the front headlight assemblies do not come on. I don't think that is normal, or is it? Anyone had this issue before?

My turn signals do work and the hazard flashers too. So do the rear turn signals along with the running lights. Waddahell?
​​​​​​Gotta get out the voltmeter... Clap back if you been here and figged it out.
Old 02-09-2024 | 06:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Might be as simple as burnt-out bulb.

Pull out bulb and measure filaments.
Power bulb directly from battery with jumper cables.
Both filaments good?

If so, you've got wiring problem.
Measure voltage at each bulb socket.
Old 02-09-2024 | 07:59 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

Originally Posted by RokBox70
Hello xB nation
So I tried using my running lights while standing at a curb, and noticed the turn signals on the front headlight assemblies do not come on. I don't think that is normal, or is it? Anyone had this issue before?

My turn signals do work and the hazard flashers too. So do the rear turn signals along with the running lights. Waddahell?
​​​​​​Gotta get out the voltmeter... Clap back if you been here and figged it out.
Are you saying the orange portion of your lights in front, at the corners of the lights, don't come on? It's a turn signal, not a running light, pretty sure your stuff is working as it should if the turn signals and hazards work.
Old 02-09-2024 | 08:20 PM
SL Member

Well if that were the case why then would the tail lights have a parking illuminator/ running light? That is required by DOT rules. Thanks though. I think I will check the wiring diagram for my xB service manual.
Old 02-10-2024 | 02:59 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

Well if that were the case why then would the tail lights have a parking illuminator/ running light? That is required by DOT rules. Thanks though. I think I will check the wiring diagram for my xB service manual.
You're correct...based upon the other four or five instances on here of people losing running lights but still having turn signals and hazard lights it sounds like potentially a fuse (10A if I'm looking at the correct one and Toyota was nice enough NOT to provide a spare 10A fuse...but they do give you a spare 15 and 30A ).
Old 02-11-2024 | 04:26 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by MileHightC
You're correct...based upon the other four or five instances on here of people losing running lights but still having turn signals and hazard lights it sounds like potentially a fuse (10A if I'm looking at the correct one and Toyota was nice enough NOT to provide a spare 10A fuse...but they do give you a spare 15 and 30A ).
​​​​​​Yep, every one but the one I need. Seems they weren't done designing the care package in the owners kit when off to market they went.🙄🤬
Old 02-11-2024 | 02:35 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

​​​​​​Yep, every one but the one I need. Seems they weren't done designing the care package in the owners kit when off to market they went.🙄🤬
Yeah, there's even an extra slot for another spare fuse but it doesn't seem they thought anyone might need the 10A...genius!
Old 02-12-2024 | 10:15 AM
SL Member

So after a couple of hours digging in my electrical system here's what we got.
1. Some genius, and I use that term loosely, put small squares of electrical tape over one of the base leads on the 1157 turn signal lamps.
2. All fuses are in good order.
3. Now it seems to be that there were aftermarket headlights installed here before I got it. I say that because it looks like the original lighting harness wass split and there are currently 2 small, maybe 184/194 type bulbs attached to a pair of black wires coming out of the current turn signal portion of the separated harness. The leads on the bulbs are just taped over where the power wiring is attached. Those bulbs are hanging loose and there seems to be no point of entry into the current factory headlight assembly. No bases are attached to them. One is active and the other is blown. I have used tie wraps to secure them for now.

These two bulbs light up when I turn the switch to the parking illuminator position along with the tail lights and rear aide markers. I got rained out when I began to unravel the tape to try and see if the "genius" tapped into the running lamp circuit and cut the factory turn signal harness dead to field.

I remember reading somewhere about a TSB that mentioned a refit to the assembly because of low illumination at the front corners, but I am unsure about what was done for the fix. Man I love a good puzzle.
Old 02-12-2024 | 08:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Best if you repair harness with factory OEM connectors. Then it's simple matter of plug-n-play.

https://www.corsa-technic.com
https://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/index.php/cPath/109
https://www.ksvlooms.com/collections/all-items
https://www.automotiveconnectors.com...cessories.html
https://www.efihardware.com/products/c293/Connectors
Old 02-19-2024 | 08:57 PM
SL Member

Sorry bro the Black Pearl got totalled yesterday due to careless teenager running a red light.
Old 02-20-2024 | 12:11 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry bro the Black Pearl got totalled yesterday due to careless teenager running a red light.
Damn idiots!!! So sorry to hear that!
Old 02-20-2024 | 12:40 AM
SL Member

I

Yeah man I was ____ed. I did walk away from the wreck. The Black Pearl is gone. Busted me up pretty good. Bad case of deceleration trauma to the chest and nice goose egg but I staggered away. Killed her Rav4👹. Seh La Vie, I am on the hunt for another 5speed. Thanks for your help, I did get the running lights rewired.
Old 02-20-2024 | 06:10 AM
SL Member

Glad you are OK.
Old 02-20-2024 | 11:02 AM
SL Member

Thanks Spuds, I got lucky. I am really glad my wife was not riding shotgun.
Old 02-20-2024 | 01:43 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

Thanks Spuds, I got lucky. I am really glad my wife was not riding shotgun.
Glad to hear you're okay and it is a good thing you didn't have a passenger riding along...fixed the running lights just in time, didn't you? Some kind of timing...
Old 02-22-2024 | 05:13 PM
SL Member

Can't have nothing...