Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Headlight Electrical Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 06:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Default Headlight Electrical Problem?

SO I got this problem... originally I had HIDs running in projectors in my 05 xB for quite a while, near a year maybe, but then I noticed my left light would flicker on for one second when I turned them on and then it would just go out. The left one was fine, and when I plugged my left headlight bulb into the right ballast, it lit up fine, so not a bulb problem. Next, I removed both HID setups and went back to the old halogen bulb setup, and now is where I got confused....

Now my right bulb lights up normally, and my left bulb barely lights up (if at all?), but it still lights up. It is very dim, like it isnt getting enough power? I double checked all the connections and everything. Also, my maint req. light has been on ever since about the same time this happened, but I believe that is because it wasnt reset at my last oil change.

So how am I not getting enough juice to my left headlight? could it be a simple fuse problem? Pictures:

Old 12-30-2006, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

hmmm....
Old 12-30-2006, 03:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Recheck the grounds. Power is getting there as the light works. Problems like this are more likely on the ground side. Look for loose or corroded grounds at the core support. Worth a shot anyway.
Old 12-31-2006, 08:42 AM
5 Year Member

I had the same problem ,but i was running h.i.d.'s in the headlight assembly and they just quit working ,so i rip all the h.i.d. stuff out (audi ballast w.philips bulbs) and put o.e bulbs back in and had the left headlight bearly lighting up and started back tracking the ground ( I was sure I roasted the ground) well to my suprise everthing was fine .......
I just simply blew a fuse!!!!!!!!!!!
the retarded thing is I spent an hour check the ground

I assume toyota did the math ,,but the ground for the headlights seems really small???? anyway CHECK YER FUSE(s)
Old 12-31-2006, 08:47 AM
5 Year Member

I dont mean to thread jack ,,,,but when i wired up my HID's when the ballast would touch the frame (or any ground for that matter) it would spark ,and the AUDI ballast I have are simple as hell ,2wires red & black
anyone with any idea on that ,,inadiquit ground ,,maybe??
Old 01-03-2007, 01:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

just an update, the headlight problem ended up being a blown fuse, and the HID problem appears to be a blown bulb. thanks for the help!
Old 02-02-2007, 03:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm..my lights don't turn on at all. you think its my fuse or harness? going to buy fuses tomarrow to check.

my lights did start flickering at first then once i changed back to halogens it just stop working..
Old 10-18-2007, 04:09 AM

Default Fuse

My 04 xB is having the same lighting problem. The only thing is I have no idea where to check for the fuse.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not into auto mechanics much but I believe the fuse box is under the hood on the right side. It looks like a small plastic box, the top just sort of pops off and on via some plastic grips on the sides.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by Tialian
I'm not into auto mechanics much but I believe the fuse box is under the hood on the right side. It looks like a small plastic box, the top just sort of pops off and on via some plastic grips on the sides.
yeah thats right and when you flip the lid over it displays the location of the fuses
Old 11-06-2007, 08:56 PM
SL Member

I am having a similar problem with my HIDs... the bulbs are both fine, bu when I turn them on they both turn on and then about 10 seconds later the drivers side turns off.