Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Looking to clear headlights out

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 11:33 PM
5 Year Member

Default Looking to clear headlights out

So, I just got my HID's put in (looks sick, btw) and it just shows off how disgustingly amber the corners of the headlights are. I searched a bit, but didn't come up with much as far as a really easy way to go about it. If I overlooked it, please point me in the right direction.

Also, I read on a couple pages that you have to remove the front bumper just to get the headlights out? Just didn't know if this was so or not. Thanks for your help guys!
Old 08-03-2006, 11:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Theres two screws underneath the bumper to remove the headlights so yes that is the way to do it.

Once you get the headlights off just break the lens and clean it out...bam your done.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

You can get away with detaching all of the top bolts on the bumper and CAREFULLY pulling it out of the way to get to the screws. I've seen people do this and no damage was done but you just have to be careful.
When you get the headlight out, stick a screwdriver on the orange lense through the bulb hole on the back. Try to get the screwdriver as far up on the lense as possible. Meaning as close to the back of the housing as possible b/c the lense has to come out of a little crevice back there when you hit it. Then get a hammer and hit on the screwdriver to break the lense. You have to hit it with decent power but be careful not to scratch up your headlight housing. Then once it's broken, get some snips or something and meneuver the lense to the bulb hole and break it there at the hole if it's not small enough to fit through the hole. I believe there is an article in the tech section on how to do this but i just simplified it i guess. lol
Old 08-04-2006, 02:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

If you want your lights to look perfect bake them in the oven @ 200 for 15 min. (one at a time) this heats up the sealer in the headlight and you can pull the light apart. Unscrew the turn signal reflector and remove the amber insert. Put the signal housing back in and place the two halves together but don't press closed. Put back in oven for 10-15 min take out and press back together. Repeat with other headlight.

Most people are afraid of the oven method, but this way you get the whole reflector out and the headlight looks great. Be careful when you pull it apart so you don't get any of the housing sealer on the chrome or headlight cover.

Good luck.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i did this a couple weeks ago and it looks %100 better. i was nervous about the bumper. you really have to pull it out of place which made me nervous, but it poped back in place. if i could make one suggestion it would be to use an awl instead of a screwdriver. i think it would break it better.