Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

New Scion XB owner on roof rack and wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 12:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default New Scion XB owner on roof rack and wheels

12-06-06

Hey everyone,

I just bought my new Shadow Mica XB a little over a week ago.

I must admit it a great car, it even did great in the major snowstorm we had here in Chicago last week

Few questions and hope someone could help:

I'm planning on ordering the Dyna sport roof rails from the below link are they reliable and is the company fast on sending them out?

http://www.prolineracks.com/permanen...oof-racks.html

Also is it worth voiding your warranty for tires and wheels if I decide to get new wheels but keep the tires? After only driving US cars I wanted the peace of mind of having an extended warranty and all packages had tire and wheel coverage.

I guess if don't get the wheels I saw some nice black hub caps for $35 at Pep Boys.

Thanks
Knightlife
Old 12-07-2006, 12:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cant help you with the roof rack, but instead of hubcaps buy trim rings and center caps. Looks better IMO.
Heres and old pic of mine:
Old 12-07-2006, 12:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default OEM steelies Visual Upgrade Package, v1.0

Hey KnightLife,

I can't find the ScioLife link in my files, but more than a few xB'ers have simply painted the OEM steelies a nice gloss red-with-clearcoat, then added "chrome beauty/trim rings" for a really clean look. I think they got them thru JCWhitney or PepBoys for around $15 each.

Maybe try a ScionLife search for "Beauty Rings" or "Trim Rings" to check for new images. Oh, and at a Scion meet I met a guy who then added metal center caps ("spindle caps"?) from a NAPA store, maybe $4-5 each. He had painted them to match his TCM box--looked pretty cool, and not too expensive a mod. Good luck . . .
Old 12-07-2006, 01:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

here it is:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...ight=trim+ring
Old 12-07-2006, 01:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I serious thought about the cap and trim rings, but with winters here in Chicago won't all that rust after a year especially the steelie. I really want to keep a pair of winter tires and summer tires around.

Thanks for all your comments
Knightlife
Old 12-07-2006, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default OK, so we go to Plan Bee . . .

KnightLife,

Understand your worry about maintenance/durability/upkeep issues of steel in da midwest (GO_BUCKS!). So I went the light alloy route, but with a twist . . .

L I N K to photosets ("...Vertical_Vehicle" and "...Winter_Shoes"):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/macpeep/sets/

As you can see, I actually went with TWO sets of 15-inch alloys, one for summer and another for the Midwest winters here. *NOTE: stock OEM steelies are 15x5.5-inches with +38mm offset running 185/60x15 Goodyear Eagle LS tires that offer miserable wet AND dry traction (bad news) and reportedly do not last long (good news?)

I contacted Discount Tire Direct (actually went to local warehouse to research and preview options --- they were VERY accomodating. (Maybe check your yellow pages for local outlet or dealer?)

For warmer weather chose 15x6.5 TSW Kyalami rims in HyperSilver with machined lip, wrapped with 205/55x15 Falken Zeix ZE512 tires. (offset +40mm) . . . $834 mounted, balanced, shipping/delivered.

For cold weather and bad roads, went with 15x6.5 Rage Coda rims in same color scheme, with 185/65x15 Michelin X-Ice snow tires (also +40mm offset) . . . $600 mounted, balanced, lifetime warranty, giant NASCAR (!?!) storage bag.

NOTE: I was intent on getting good MPG and ride quality as well as keeping speedo calibration pretty close (winter set indicates 60mph when actual is 61.8; summer set indicates 60mph when actual is 60,3). I've been extremely happy with these set-ups: great winter traction in deep snow and/or black ice, decent performance and handling with the summer combination. Personally, I didn't want chrome or polished, but the painted silver/diamond machined look was just enough *bling* for my TCM box without being too over-the-top. And the Kyalami and Coda designs are quite similar, so that was another plus for me.

I should also mention another BIG reason for my choices: each stock wheel/tire weighs 37 lbs., while each winter X-Ice/Coda weighs 36 lbs. (and those full-on snow tires are CHUNKY), and each summer Zeix/Kyalami weighs only 33 lbs. Less unsprung weight = better acceleration, handling, etc.

Anyway, hope all or some of this helps you with your ultimate decision.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

the roof rack people you have here is very quick and has great service.....check my profile.....i'm sportin the dynasport luggage rack and i'm extremely pleased w/ looks and performance.

i ordered direct by phone and they shipped to California in 1week