Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Our xB is smashed! :( *Pics*

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 02:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My husband had a TC that had a few thousand miles on it and was hit hard in the front. His shop did the DA and found 18 grand in damage and totalled it. 3 weeks later the place that the car was sent for final analaysis and where they sell them to junk yard said it was repairable. Threshold on it was 22 grand according to the insurance company. You could build a new one with every option for less. So now the car has been repainted like 5 times because the owner is so picky and wants it it to look factory. Even the engine was a mess because of the battery exploding all over it. It has been at that shop for 3 months now. Why they didn't want a new one I don't know!

Also, he has had xb's. If the frame rails are bent structural repairs get expensive and you may want them to total the car. Airbags deploying will total alot of cars but the scions hold their value so much that they can go pretty high, and you can fight them if you do or don't want it totalled and it is close to threshold. Oh and if they do total it if you can put your stock parts back on they have to let you take any mods off. Wheels etc...

Good luck with your Box!
Old 05-05-2007, 03:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Thanks for all the tips guys. The airbags did not deploy, I don't understand why, the definitely should have. Anyway, from what I've been hearing, I'm hoping they do total it out. I've had bad luck with this car. It was stolen a few months ago, too.
Anyway, I'll keep everyone updated.
Old 05-05-2007, 04:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

well if you lived in arkansas, it would be totalled, my shop totalls xbs right and left, we totalled one that needed a reebar, bumper cover, hood and fender 20k miles on it, the scion lineup doesn't hold its value very well in this state
Old 05-05-2007, 05:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by PaRaGoNViCtiM
Thanks for all the tips guys. The airbags did not deploy, I don't understand why, the definitely should have. Anyway, from what I've been hearing, I'm hoping they do total it out. I've had bad luck with this car. It was stolen a few months ago, too.
Does not look to me like the air bags should have deployed. Airbags only deploy in a straight on frontal collision force approximating 30 MPH into a solid barrier. From your pics most of the force was at an angle from the right...it is unlikely that the frontal force needed was met , the bag system could be faulty but in my expierienced opinion it is likely fine.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by jwaj2002
well if you lived in arkansas, it would be totalled, my shop totalls xbs right and left, we totalled one that needed a reebar, bumper cover, hood and fender 20k miles on it, the scion lineup doesn't hold its value very well in this state
Maybe you should export them to CA!
Old 05-05-2007, 06:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

thats where the totals wind up I think, since none of the junk yards round here get them
Old 05-08-2007, 12:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by TerribleTed
Originally Posted by PaRaGoNViCtiM
Does not look to me like the air bags should have deployed. Airbags only deploy in a straight on frontal collision force approximating 30 MPH into a solid barrier. From your pics most of the force was at an angle from the right...it is unlikely that the frontal force needed was met , the bag system could be faulty but in my expierienced opinion it is likely fine.
Thanks for this info, I was curious about the airbags.
Anyway, the insurance adjuster went and looked at it today. She said there is $8,500 in body damage. She wasn't able to look under the hood and see anything mechanical. She said if there is more than $3000 in mechanical damage, it'll be totaled out. I don't know if the internal damage is going to equate to $3000.00?
Old 05-10-2007, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by TerribleTed
Originally Posted by speedtoaster23
i had an 05 with 25000 on it, got in a wreck with less visual damage than that, and mine got totalled. $8.1k estimate, with a total of over $9 in actual damage. Doesn't look good
All depends on how far the nose is swayed and how bad the radiator , cooling and support are damage. Axle and or suspension damage drives the price up fast as well.

Mine was side frontal impact. My left wheel was perpendicular to its original position. A hell of a lot of steering and axle damage. Man it was a b**** to tow. haha
Old 05-15-2007, 08:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Well, the verdict is in. They totaled the xB out! So, the next step is getting a new car. We're torn between a 2008 xB and a 2007 tC.
We will definitely continue to keep everyone updated.
Thanks for all the replies so far!