Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

paint code conversion for custom paint needed.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 04:57 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default paint code conversion for custom paint needed.

I have my xB two-toned from black sand pearl with a silver I thought was classic silver metallic. Someone had a silver tC lip painted a few weeks earlier and I believe they used the same paint. However, the toyota touch-up paint is too light. The painter was less than forthcoming with what color they ordered, I believe it was a custom mix. I had the local Carquest store scan it with a Dupont Chromavision scanner to mix up two part spray for a speaker box, but I have some small rock chips on the hood and would like to use touch-up without respraying that part. Carquest does not mix custom touchup.

Is there anything out there that will convert the Dupont scan numbers to a manufacturer paint code so I could buy a close match of touch up from an auto store? or could an online vender mix touchup with the Dupont numbers? I can post my scan numbers a little later.

I will try a bottle of thunder cloud metallic, but don't want to keep buying and hope for a match, it would add up quick.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:35 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Talked to dupont about their Colornet scanning software, the one Carquest used. Apparently if you leave the make and model fields blank it can scan its ENTIRE manufacturer database and give the closest paint code match. Maybe the tech did not know this, I will be heading back there to see if they can rescan, this time with an OEM code as an output.

If not, I'll be trying the tC classic silver metallic instead of the xB thunder cloud metallic (why so many shades of silver? it doesn't make sense.)

Side note, went to the Washington Auto Show and every manufacturer had their 08 paint selection board up, why is it you can only buy a car in white, black, silver or a very muted blue or red? I swear I could have switched the Toyota and Nissan boards and no one would notice. Scion should not be emulating the Buick paint selection.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Why so many shades? i guess to be different...Like TCM was only offered on the xB(classic)

Think of TCM as silver and grey had a child.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:49 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Well, it ended up being silver streak mica (1E7) instead of classic silver metallic (1F7), only used on the 2005 tC. The paint place said the one they did was a 2006, guess they were wrong. I took an extra piece that was painted to the Scion dealer to match it up. They didn't have it initially, but then i found one of the magnetic color samples was actually laid over the silver streak, and it matched up perfectly. Oddly enough, it had an xD label on it. Apparently Toyota only has so many shades of grey so they brought it back for the 08 xD. I never did go to CarQuest so I still don't know if that would have worked.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

If its OEM they can deff do it. I think they can mix any code.