Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Painted Calipers & Drums

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 02:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

The 2x4 idea wouldn't work for me because my wheels are 7 inches wide. It would be dangerous for someone to get down and hold them in place while I drove up onto them. Plus, if I didn't drive up onto them perfectly centered, it could fall while I was trying to position the jack.

They have those mini ramps (Rhino Ramps) at Pep Boys on sale for $17.98. I am going to need something like that in the car if I get a flat tire, so I am going to buy them plus a bottle jack (which should work with my body kit), and 2 mini jack stands. I will just have to find room for them in my car, unless I want to get towed if I ever get a flat.

I bought the kit that uses a paint brush, so I don't have to mask anything. :D
Old 06-23-2004, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by SCI FIRE
The 2x4 idea wouldn't work for me because my wheels are 7 inches wide. It would be dangerous for someone to get down and hold them in place while I drove up onto them.
non sence, thats what insurance is for. I do it all the time!!

Old 06-24-2004, 04:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

You haven't seen me drive!

Holy cow, those rhino ramps are huge. I wonder if they make them smaller...
Old 06-24-2004, 05:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SCI FIRE
You haven't seen me drive!

Holy cow, those rhino ramps are huge. I wonder if they make them smaller...
get some wood from home depot...have them cut an angle at the end, just drive up there....thats what i did
Old 06-24-2004, 05:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

after you paint your calipers with the duplicolor kit how long did u wait befor driving.i painted mine today was very easy i liked the end result.i just have to fix my passanger side caliper.kinda smuged the paint i was feeling it to see if it was dry :oops:
Old 06-25-2004, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by kozmo
after you paint your calipers with the duplicolor kit how long did u wait befor driving.i painted mine today was very easy i liked the end result.i just have to fix my passanger side caliper.kinda smuged the paint i was feeling it to see if it was dry :oops:
You should allow the caliper to dry for about 6 hours in the sun/heatlamp. That way the paint settles anhd you can drive with them, if you don't wait that long. The paint could be soft still and every little road debris will get stuck in the caliper.

Old 06-25-2004, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

for the rear drums why wouldn't you just pull the drum off and spray paint it? wouldn't that be easier than brushing them? it'll take just 5 minutes to paint the drums. i can see brushing the calipers on the front, but not on the back.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The DupliColor Caliper Kit results look great!!! Another idea with custom calipers would be to use DupliColor's Mirage paint, too. Can you imagine this type of colors for calipers? They come in several color shifts, too:

Different colors:
MP404 Ice Kit

MP400 Purple/Green Kit

MP401 Silver/Green Kit

MP402 Gold/Magenta Kit

MP403 Red/Blue Kit
Old 07-15-2004, 10:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

is that stuff ^^^ heat resistant, if so im ordering one! thatd be sweet behind my lexanis
Old 07-15-2004, 04:30 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

sci-fire,

I used 2x8s to make ramps to get my xB high enuff for a jack. I cut 2 @ 3 feet long, and 2 @ 2 feet long. I also angle one side on each and then screwed the short one on top of the long one. Instant short height ramps.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sciontuner
is that stuff ^^^ heat resistant, if so im ordering one! thatd be sweet behind my lexanis
That's what I'm trying to find out through the company's website, but their "contact" page is not working....

I'm wondering if it's possible to mix the Mirage paint with the Brake Caliper paint, to achieve the shifting paint and ceramic paint combo....
Old 07-15-2004, 06:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Default WARNING!!!!

I've used the Dupli-Color Brush on Kit, and it does NOT like the spray wheel cleaners.
I painted the calipers on my wifes Focus, and Spray type wheel cleaners DISCOLORED the paint.
Now instead of red, I got a pair of stupid looking orange calipers.

Hope you guys have better luck!
Old 07-15-2004, 06:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: WARNING!!!!

Originally Posted by phatboy
I've used the Dupli-Color Brush on Kit, and it does NOT like the spray wheel cleaners.
I painted the calipers on my wifes Focus, and Spray type wheel cleaners DISCOLORED the paint.
Now instead of red, I got a pair of stupid looking orange calipers.

Hope you guys have better luck!
How often do someone need to use the spray type wheel cleaners? Are there alternatives that are more "paint-friendly"? Also, I don't think i'd be too difficult to do touch-ups on the caliper by re-painting them, right?
Old 07-15-2004, 06:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I haven't found one yet, but I am looking. I've tried a couple different ones, and they all do the same thing. At this point, I'll have to repaint. They are discolored badly. I'm gonna try the High heat engine paint 1200 degrees from Duplicolor on my xB. Hope it works better.
I have to use the cleaner everytime I wash, because I don't like brake dust. If anyone has a brand that they've tried and didn't have any problems, please let me know.
So far I've tried

Eagle One
Turtle wax
Spree
Old 07-15-2004, 06:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I haven't found one yet, but I am looking. I've tried a couple different ones, and they all do the same thing. At this point, I'll have to repaint. They are discolored badly. I'm gonna try the High heat engine paint 1200 degrees from Duplicolor on my xB. Hope it works better.
I have to use the cleaner everytime I wash, because I don't like brake dust. If anyone has a brand that they've tried and didn't have any problems, please let me know.
So far I've tried

Eagle One
Turtle wax
Spree
the problem with the "High Heat Engine" as well as the Mirage paint is that both are spray on, as opposed to brush on, though right?
Old 07-15-2004, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Yes both are sprays, but I paint stuff all the time, so masking isn't a problem to me. A good end result depends on the amount of prep time you take. I learned that painting cars.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

maybe you can try the Mirage paint, too. It'll definitely look good for calipers
Old 07-15-2004, 08:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

So far I've tried

Eagle One
Turtle wax
Spree
I bought some wheel wipes, like the window cleaner sheets but for rims. I forget the brand but they carry them at walmart and target, etc. That may do the trick without overspray, but then my wheels are probably the world's easiest to clean so...
Old 07-16-2004, 07:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Old 07-16-2004, 08:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Is the duplicolor system identical to the G2 system? I used the G2 setup on my 240's z32 brake setup, and it hasn't discolored at all. Holds up to brake cleaner, brake fluid, etc. The G2 system has a hardener in it, which, imo, makes it much more durable than the standard high-temp paint used by most. IMO, the added cost is well worth it.

Here's a pic. Please forgive the non-Toyota/Scion markings.

-john

Quick Reply: Painted Calipers & Drums