Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Products from Japan

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 09:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Products from Japan

Ok, Im bent on finding a bug deflector for my Xb. After an in depth web search, I've concluded that nobody makes them for the Xb. I know many of you have bought products from Japan, for the Bb and was wondering if someone could give me a good web site or two, where I might look for a Japanese bug shield. Thanks
Old 04-10-2004, 10:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

one of these?

Maybe not... looks just like a cover for the front.. doesn't extend up like most bug deflectors. Probably not going to do much deflecting

bottom of this page.
http://toyotapartsworld.com/toyperf_scion.htm
Old 04-10-2004, 10:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm...no, more like one of the plastic ones that deflects the airflow so bugs dont hit a "wall of windshield". It just started warming up in Baltimore and I can already tell that I'm going to spend my summer in a shroud of bug spew. Theres gotta be something out there! :?
Old 04-11-2004, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i thought i was going to have the same problem, but i haven't yet. i have seen plenty of bugs fly into the windshield, but they just went up and over.
Old 04-11-2004, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

I had my first big bug SpLaT the other day ... I mean the thing didn't just hit the windsheild like I was used to in my camry.. oooh no this was like that scene in MIB where the alien explodes into a bunch of goo ... damn nasty ... but was glad it wasn't another stinkin rock

I don't know if one of those bug deflectors would work very well ... but if ya did get one... I'd think it'd have to be set up more like what you see on tractor trailer .. just vertical plexi
Old 04-11-2004, 02:58 AM
Banned
SL Member

Yeah, I like those vertical deflectors as well. Makes sense too. If a typical shaped deflector is used, the deflector may actually aid the rock towards a proper path to the windshield.

We have these holes, We want a deflector, preferably more vertical.

Old 04-11-2004, 04:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

I drive from San Jose to San Diego every 3 months and let me tell you, this thing is a bug killing machine. Since the Windsheild is at such a vertical angle, it kills em on contact.
Old 04-11-2004, 04:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG
Scion Evolution

poor bugs

You could consider the clear bra/road block. Because the xB is so boxxy I think this would be a good idea.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

On my two trips to Dallas and back to Austin I can say with out hesitation that no car on the road today can reduce the number of bugs flying around near roads better than an xB. It also fairs well with finding pebbles and other debris. There has to be some form of military technology built into the xB that allows it to so pointedly find small items to smash into.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im waiting for my first bird. Then I'll start putting hash marks on my door like old fighter jets.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i actually have one of these and it actually does push up just a bit. instead of all the windshield being covered with bugs only about 1/4 (at the top) is. no its not super vertical but for 40 bucks it does a decent job and it fits VERY well, looks okay, and protects the very chip prone leading edge of the hood.

so untill a "real" bug deflector makes its way to market this might be the way to go for you.

p.s. i only use it for roadtrips and i wax before and after its use and i have no dull spots or whatever.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:55 PM
Banned
SL Member

http://www.udxtra.com/products/phoen...rotectors.html
Now this is a bug deflector. doesn't protect the hood though and also, it just looks odd. But yeah, something like the above but it connected via the 6-holes under the hood
Old 04-13-2004, 12:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree it has been warm a couple days here and on my Boston - Hartford ride I cleaned the car while in CT and by the time I hit Boston it looked like the splatmaster 1000 had been in down and I had every possible color of bug guts you could thing of all over my window along with some nice white and green (yes green) bird ____ after not realizing I parked under a tree for a couple hours..

I also notice that on the highway it does seem to sttract everything possible coming from other cars and honestly start to cringe at the first sign I am going to get stuck behind a construction truck on the highway..

Not much we can do right now but if anyone knows a maker of one major bug deflectors I would be more than willing to contact them and see if I can get a hint of when/if one will be available..
Old 04-13-2004, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks like Lund and Ventshade are a couple of the big guys for deflectors. I found one site yesterday that said the Xb deflector was "in development" and gave a # to call. I called it and the girl who answered was clueless so no luck there...
Old 04-13-2004, 01:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Those verticle bug deflectors, like the old Jeep Wrangler had, would be cool for the xB...
Old 04-13-2004, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Where can i get one of those hood bra thingamajigs? I need one.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:56 AM
Banned
SL Member

Well, not really from Japan. But here's a nice add on to the cargo area:

Cargo Gate or Cargo Bar

The ratching adjustable bar. Cheap. Fits 40" to 70", how wide is our cargo area? I may need one or two (one by close to the bottom, and another ~5" above the other bar. From realtrucks.com. Or probably your nearby truck accessories store or WalMart.

Expensive, Vehicle specific or at least size specific. Full coverage The Cargo Gate by Loading Zone: Oh yeah, EXPENSIVE
http://www.loadingzone.com/

Old 04-14-2004, 03:21 AM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by TurboHoses
Where can i get one of those hood bra thingamajigs? I need one.
NewScionParts (Carson Scion)
http://www.newscionparts.com/html/exteriorxB.html

Concord Toyota/Scion (?) in North Carolina. $8 bucks cheaper than Carson.
http://www.toyotaparts4u.com/e_catalog/
Old 05-18-2004, 02:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Those bug deflectors are ugly! I want a wiper cowl that doubles as a bug deflector. keeping the windshield clean sux
Old 05-18-2004, 03:47 PM
5 Year Member

Default BUGGUARD for xB

NOT GOOD NEWS FROM EGR: (WRITE TO EGR AND MAYBE THEY'LL COME THRU)
=======================
Dear Sir,

Your enquiry in to EGR Auto accessories for the Toyota Scion (AKA. bB) has
been passed on to me here at EGR World headquarters in Brisbane, Australia.

Unfortunately the Weather Visors you have previously purchased for this
vehicle are the only product that EGR manufacturers for the Scion/bB. This
part was developed for our Japanese distributor who focuses on Weather
Visors and only has a limited range of Bonnet Protectors.

Thank you for taking the time to enquiry about EGR Products. Please contact
me directly should you require any further information about Japanese
specific products or any non EGR USA enquiries.

Regards,

Bennett Humphries
Assistant CDM

EGR Phone : +61 7 3277 7999
84 Evans Road Fax : +61 7 3277 8054
Salisbury E-mail: bhumphri@egr.com.au
Brisbane QLD 4107 WWW : www.egrgroup.com
------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: the EGR side door windscreens are a perfect fit...nice. WHY OH WHY NO BUG GUARD....SEND A NOTE TO MR. HUMPHRIES...IT COULD MAKE A DIFFERENCE....my note to Mr. Humphries is below;
=================================================
Dear Bennett Humphries,

At first I was taken aback by the name Humphries on my email...knowing that my step-brother Kelly Humphries, a public affair executive for Nasa-"Voice of the Space Shuttle" kind of thing, was too terribly busy to be sending off a note to me.

Then to see that an EGR executive had taken the time to explain was most welcome. Thank you for your interest and time taken in writting in response to my needs for the Scion xB (bB in Japan). I had asked about being able to order directly from Japan...but maybe that would be Australia since you have the World Headquarters. They will probably be others in the USA who will want the EGR side windscreens when a put my pictures up on the website "Scionlife.com".

Can they order Scion bB (xB in USA), wind screens from you Bennett?

As to bonnet protectors...this new car is more like a truck with respect to its high front windshield. On a warm spring day that windshield is literally blanketed with Bug Guts. The most desirable part about the bonnet protector (I call them Bugguards) is the wind slip stream that propels many of those nasty Yellow-gutted critters right over the top of the car....in my imagination that is. It would be wonderful.

The EGR side windscreens that I purchased thru "Super Auto Bacs" in Tokyo are EXCELLENT. Their fit on the windows is precise and firm. The tint and dot matrix edging is a perfect match for the tint and dot matrix edging of the Toyota provided windows in the Scion.

PLEASE PLEASE urge your higher ups to procure BUGGUARDS for the Scion xb (bB in Japan)!!!

Thank you again for your interest and assistance.

Sincerely,
================he said==================
Our USA office most certainly could order the Scion Weather Visors, however due to our Production system we have a minimum order quantity of 50 units for most acrylic accessories (bug guards, window visors etc.) For this reason it seems unlikely that they would have sufficient demand to cover this MOQ, however if they did we could provide it. Also, the style and design of this part is quite different to the dark tint, slim line stick-on and in-channel window visors that are predominant in the US market.

What I will do for you though is to pass on your comments to the USA Aftermarket sales team regarding both the existing window visors and the potential bug guard so that they can gauge customer demand themselves. I will also discuss the demand for a bug guard with our Japanese distributor. If we feel we can sell enough product we may develop the part, all though I would not want to get your hopes up.

I will keep your email address on hand, and will advise you should there be any progress on the bug guard development. Should your Scion website pics garner any interest, feel free to tell the Scion owners to contact EGR USA to advise of their interest in these parts.

Regards,

Bennett Humphries
Assistant CDM

EGR Phone : +61 7 3277 7999
84 Evans Road Fax : +61 7 3277 8054
Salisbury E-mail: bhumphri@egr.com.au
Brisbane QLD 4107 WWW : www.egrgroup.com

==========================

Trying to be of help.

YABABY
RS1 377, stick in Annapolis