Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Question for Guys or Gals using the carbon fiber hoods ....

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Question for Guys or Gals using the carbon fiber hoods ....

As the title says I have a question for the members that are using carbon fiber hoods.

So here goes when using the hoods are you using hood pins or just leaving them alone after putting them on? I have mine installed but after looking at a few magazines
I notice most have hood pins with carbon fiber hoods.Just wonder if its to keep it snug

Thanks for any info

Dj
Old 04-25-2004, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

extra safety measure. most peeps aren't secure knowing that their metal hood latch is being held down by resins alone. are you????? also, tracks require you have hood pins. so, some of those cars you actually see with the pins may infact be hitting the autocross or tracks and is a requirement.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Not trying to jack your thread but maybe if CF hood owners are looking at this they can also answer this:

How does the CF hood hold up to rocks and other road debris? Does it chip like a regular hood? Very curious...
Old 04-25-2004, 10:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

How does the CF hood hold up to rocks and other road debris? Does it chip like a regular hood? Very curious...
hi-quality CF hoods have a finish - not paint. the finish is high-gloss fiberglass, kinda like the high-gloss application you would find on ultra-glossy surfboards. but my CF hood is painted (color-matched) over the finish and will be prone to paint chips. my defensive solution to road debris is a "clear bra" (3M or others).
Old 04-26-2004, 05:38 PM
5 Year Member

The hoods that I know about use a gel coat on them. They will chip somewhat likea hood from stones and whatnot but it doesn't look as bad as a painted hood since it's just some clear being chipped off. I'd say mine had less chips than my stock hood after a couple years.

Also, I think Fiber Images might be the only brand out there that says you don't have to use hoodpins with their hoods. Most others always state somewhere that you need to run hoodpins to secure them correctly.

Also, I had my old car up a little over 140 a couple times with the hood on and no problems. fyi, I've only used Fiber Image hoods and am speaking for my experience with them so don't go put on your $200 hood, run over a 100 mph and turn your hood into a kite because of what I wrote
Old 04-26-2004, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

The pins are an extra safety measure as mentioned before. A spoon weave xA hood runs about 8-10lbs. So if your hitting 75mph on the freeway...8-10lbs. is not much, so you dont want your hood flipping off your car at 75mph
Old 04-27-2004, 12:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know several guys that have installed hood pins. They are a good safety measure, but most of the time the holes that are drilled for the hood pins to go through, start to crack at the edges.

The clear resin that is over the CF is prone to chips, scratches and dents. If you see my car in person, the hood has a lot of minor damage.

-Pete

Old 04-27-2004, 12:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks guys and now the next question which is the best hood pin to use ?

I noticed at speeds of 70+ the front corners start to vibrate so I guess pins are the way to go . or is there another option in making the hood stay put?
Old 04-28-2004, 05:04 AM
5 Year Member

Sparco Pins