Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

RAIN - X or ACCU CLEAR bad for windshield??

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 01:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default RAIN - X or ACCU CLEAR bad for windshield??

Hey''

A friend and I were talking the other day as I was treating my windshield with some Accu-Clear (another version of Rain-X) and he told me ....

"you should not use that stuff, a few people have told me those products will actually 'soften' your windshield over time'' and eventually it clouds up or funks' it up and really becomes vulnerable to rocks and other types of damage".

I was like "wtf are you talking about?"......

So my question is......Have any of you out here in forum-land heard of this ??

Seems like also, if it does soften the windshield, that it would be better equipped to handle rocks that hit it on the highway.....

I like my Accu-Clear. My car is a year and a 1/2 old and thanks to that stuff, I am still on the same pair of wiper blades and they still are working great and the windshield seems fine.........

Discuss anyone???
Old 06-28-2006, 01:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think if this were really true, there would be a lot more info out there on it by now. People have been using RainX for YEARS. And I'm sure many of them use it religiously. IMO, it sounds like BS.

I use the RainX windshield washer fluid, so it applies rainx whenever I clean off my windshield.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had a similar know-it-all friend who tried to tell me never to use armor-all because it'll "ruin your dash". I'm like, wtf? that's like saying don't wash your car because it'll rust!
Old 06-28-2006, 02:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by GetCaughtDead
I had a similar know-it-all friend who tried to tell me never to use armor-all because it'll "ruin your dash". I'm like, wtf? that's like saying don't wash your car because it'll rust!
aint armor-all contained alcohol? The alcohol will ruined the dash in time? Aint that right? I heard the similar thing too.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't like armor-all b/c it makes it all greasy and shiny - then it attracts more dust and you have to clean it again - wash, rinse, repeat. I prefer just "clean."
Old 06-28-2006, 02:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

true, I know it's not the best stuff, but I hardly believe it'll ruin the very pieces it is designed to protect. and it's another one of those products that people have been using for years and many people swear by, and I have yet to see proof that it does anything bad except get dirty faster.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, windshields are made of glass (well, two pieces of glass with a layer of plastic inbetween). You can pour acid on your windshield and it won't hurt it--of course the rest of your car will corrode.

RainX puts a very thin layer of polymer on the glass, and that makes the water "flatten" and run off so you can see without distortion (as long as you are moving and air is pushing the water). If you don't apply it correctly, it can put a haze on the glass that makes it look dirty. It can always be washed off and will never hurt the glass. The plastic trim might be affected, but I haven't heard anything about that.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I heard that the anti-fog stuff that rain-x and others make for the inside can damage plastic stuff, but I would think the rain stuff you all are talking about would be ok since obviously your wipers have to scoot across it without getting damaged. the rubber blades would likely rot out if the stuff was caustic.

but like FModFTD said, the only haze you will get is from not applying it properly, in which case I think the solution is simply to buff it off with a towel or wash the car.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

RainX is just a liquid wax for the windows. You can actually get the same effect by using wax on the windows, it's just harder to get off. All of the problems I have seen with RainX have been people not applying it correctly, letting it dry to long and not washing it off completely. If you do any of the above you can develope a haze, but it can be taken out using a buffing rag and a bit of window cleaner.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

SO what about armor-all thing on dash?

what kind of stuff u all use?
Old 06-28-2006, 04:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by myselfdotcom
SO what about armor-all thing on dash?

what kind of stuff u all use?
I have heard this rumor for in excess of 20 years---I have never heard of an actual example of it happening though. However--I use Meguiars Kwik interior detail spray. It does not leave a gloss and has a very pleasant odor.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just use warm water and a clean microfiber towel. There's never anything else on my dash other than dust or something - so it's nice and easy that way.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: RAIN - X or ACCU CLEAR bad for windshield??

BS. Use Rain-X; it isn't a problem. I use the version of Rain-X that's added to the washer fluid, so I never have to mess with the stuff unless I'm buying more washer fluid. A bottle of Rain-X treatment treats four gallons of fluid, so I buy four gallons at a time, treat them, and have a good supply around when I need it.

Only one caveat: Don't use Rain-X on motorcycle windshields or helmet visors. It CAN damage plastics.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

does that Meguiars protect against UV? like ack154, I usually just use damp microfiber because I don't like the gloss, but that obviously provides no protection against fading.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:45 AM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I have used Rain-X for two years on my xB windshield with no problems.

I am thinking the Armor All thing is that it has silicone in it, which will pull the moisture out of the plastics, leading to cracking, plus I don't like the shine. I use a vinyl and rubber dressing which contains no silicones, and does not gloss it up.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just want something that will protect from UV, wont crack my dash, and won't shine.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Armor All feels gross to me, so that's why I don't use it. It's the same reason I don't use Pledge inside.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ar,or All may damage dashs if another procuct is used in between or before and after different chem properties never know this may be bs too
Old 06-29-2006, 08:58 PM
5 Year Member

Default Armor-All Dash

To my understanding Armor All is like Chapstick for your dash.

Chapstik keeps you lips smooth, moisturized, and nice, until you stop using it. Then your lips dry out, crack, and look gnarly because they have becme dependent on the supplements that the chapstik provided.

Armor all, to my understanding works the same way. It adds extra protection, and as long as you keep saturating the dash with it you'll be fine, but if you stop then it will eventually "dehydrate" and start to crack.

I'm not a chemical engineer or anything, this is just my understanding of Armor All, be it urban myth, wives tale, etc.

I don't use the stuff. Water and a clean towel work fine for me, plus I'm not a fan of the glistening suntan oil appearance and feel.

Josh
Old 06-29-2006, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Armor All used has been reforulated so now it is perfectly safe to use. Rain X is also perfectly safe.

Quick Reply: RAIN - X or ACCU CLEAR bad for windshield??