Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Stress crack in windshield--second time---Anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member

Default Stress crack in windshield--second time---Anyone else?

Bought my Scion Xb in June 06. Found stress crack August 06--dealership fixed under warranty. Just found second stress crack in the same place - 13 inches long right in the line of view for the driver. Scion said they will fix a second time. Anyone else have this problem? I am worried that this will continue to happen unless they find the cause of the problem! Thanks! Jennifer.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

get a front strut bar. its supposed to help the front from flexing ever so slightly and causing stress cracks...
Old 12-08-2006, 03:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Jennifer - are you cornering hard, driving on really bumpy roads, running over curbs or parking it in the hot sun or anything unusual like that??
Old 12-08-2006, 04:01 PM
5 Year Member

No. I live on a dirt road, but it is always smooth. This just seems strange to me. I don't want to have to put any money into this--doesn't it seem like a defect?
Old 12-08-2006, 04:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What color is you xB and where are you in the world?? Just wondering if it may be heat related - someone washed off the windshield on a sunny day and cracked the windshield when cold water hit it but it had a chip from a flying rock where the crack started. Mine is Polar White and wow does it stay cool in the hot summer sun. But the black paint on the edges of the glass really soak up the sun and gets really hot.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:11 PM
5 Year Member

Mine is silver and I live in Central Florida. The crack starts under the weatherstripping, so I know that it was not from a rock or something like that. I find it hard to believe that the windshield would crack so easily if cold water hits it. As hot as it gets in Florida, all the windshields would crack, wouldn't they?
Old 12-08-2006, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The xB windshield is really big and that combined with the stiff suspension can put some real stress on the frame holding the windshield compared to a soft suspension. Could be that you have something going on with the frame and it is bending it too much - glass will flex a little unless it is tempered too much. We are not in the summer months now either so hopefully they will check the body a little more closely to see if something is not constructed properly and allowing the windshield area to flex too much. Doesn't sound like it is your fault so they should replace it again. Good luck and keep us posted here.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no windshield should crack like that... except maybe under really really extreme weather/temps or abuse, neither of which apply here...

jan06xb makes a good point about the frame... have the dealer double check the windshield opening dimensions in their collision repair manual before they install the new windshield... while they're at it, might as well have them check the front door opening dimensions as well... if any those are out of spec, it could alter the way the windshield is supposed to sit in the opening...

either way, good luck!...
Old 12-08-2006, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scionetics
SL Member

You might have to actually pay for one as for some reason the Toyota glass is not really stong.

When a windshield company was putting in a toyota windshield, as they applied just a little pressure to the windshield it poped. We went through 4 windshields in 1 month. Now I have one that does not crack but has pits all over it. I guess you have to give and take. My windshield now looks like it has water spots all over it.

And my windshield first poped on a hot day and I was washing it with cold water. Yes, it did pop when the water hit it.