Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Strobe blinkers (Not the regular strobe kit.!!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Default Strobe blinkers (Not the regular strobe kit.!!!!)

I need help. I am trying to make my blinkers=strobes. in that when the left blinker is on it will strobe. Same with the right. Hazards would strobe all around. All i can find on ebay is straight strobe kits. I also have found blinking led's, but I have heard people are running into problems. Here is what I want ultimatly.-yah i know i can't spell.-
I would like LED all the way around side markers too. strobes or strobe-like blinking LED. Now I would settle for Stobes in the blinker slots but I'm really trying to stay LED.

IS THERE ANYONE CHIP SAVY that could advise me on the type of parts to order to get this project working. I know there are LED blinker fuses for the led bulbs, but that is not what I am looking for. (Unless they will make it storbe or blink like 4-8 time per sec.) I defenatly will need some sort chips, copasitor, trans???? I have no clue what I will ned to get this done but I do need help..

Willing to pay.

Thanks Joe
Old 05-04-2007, 03:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

uh u can buy a stobe kit and wire it to swictes that control specificley control and turn on the left and right blinkers but other then that idk i have led blinkers and they blink fast but idk if its 4-8 times per second
Old 05-04-2007, 08:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

IDK????

EDIT: just figured it out I DON"T KNOW= IDK.

they have to work off the stock turn switch. i just want them to strobe rather than blink fast..

anyone???????????????
Old 05-05-2007, 01:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm IDK what to tell ya man lol i guess some how if u do buy that strobe kit u can somehow interesept the stock turn swicth wiring and get em to work?
im not that good with electrical haha

best of luck
Old 05-05-2007, 02:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

thanks.

ANYONE else
Old 05-05-2007, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

are you asking to get pulled over.... there is a reason why regular cars blink and police cars strobe.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ what he said its not worth it, if you do then well will have to move this post to the rice and taters
Old 05-05-2007, 05:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

I've looked ito it and it is and it is ferfectly legal and even prefered. as long as they are amber i'm good to go. There is no reg on how fast your blinker has to be. And since we are on the subject my next project is to add reflective powder into my paint. Yep I will be driving around a bright ___ refletive box that no one will crash into. cause they will be like damn watch out for that sign. haha aaahhw the joy of tweeking your car.

huh.....i'll get pulled over.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

This might meed your needs even though it will flash a little faster than what you asked for:

http://autolumination.com/3157_3156.htm
Look about half-way down the page for "THE NEW BRAKER FLASHING BRAKE LIGHT LED SEQUENCER CONTROL MODULE"

That module will flash at 10 times per second for two seconds when power is applied and then go solid. Since the blinker power cycles on and off by the relay these units will never reach the two seconds to go solid. Every time a normal blinker would flash you'll get a strobe effect.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

www.airbagparts.com Its called AVS and they have a module that you wire in that you can control how fast you want them to blink with the rotation of a ****, i dont know if their website works yet but you can call them and ask, i cont believe there isnt a law in AZ about the speed, but here in Pa there is they can only blink 60-120 times per min. so good luck on your project
Old 05-05-2007, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Those two sites are awesome. Thank you so much. I'll see what I can do with them.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by low_down_xb
www.airbagparts.com Its called AVS and they have a module that you wire in that you can control how fast you want them to blink with the rotation of a ****, i dont know if their website works yet but you can call them and ask, i cont believe there isnt a law in AZ about the speed, but here in Pa there is they can only blink 60-120 times per min. so good luck on your project
I found the flash rate adapter. http://avsontheweb.com/store/product...roducts_id=437

If this is what you were referring to, I don't get the impression from the description that it will do what BAMFXB wants. It looks to be just a potentiometer to adjust the load on the flasher relay. I don't think there are many if any relays available that will cycle fast enough.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

they did a install of one of these in a issue of mini truckin about 2 years ago and it will allow him to slow it down and speed it up to warp speed hyper blinker
Old 05-06-2007, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://avsontheweb.com/store/product...roducts_id=437
Old 05-07-2007, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BAMFXB
I've looked ito it and it is and it is ferfectly legal and even prefered. as long as they are amber i'm good to go. There is no reg on how fast your blinker has to be.
Great!
Could you give us more details as to what specific info you found and where you found this info?

If it is on the web, give us a link. Or if it is some sort of Dept. of Transportation document, give us the specifics.

I'm very interested in this. Also, can the rear strobe directionals be red? We all know that standard ones can be red. Hmm....
Old 05-07-2007, 02:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Its gonna all depend on the state. I'll try and find a code. I've talked to a few cops. And all three said. They could find a reg for bugs on the windshield, crack ie you name it. The issue is going to be bringing attention to yourself. It may be perfectly legal to do a number of things, But if an officer decides he doesn't like the color of paint you have you can get a ticket for whatever. So its all relative..
Old 05-08-2007, 06:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wouls still like to se some proof that this woudl be legal. So har the only strobes I've ever seen (in taillights, headlights or parking lights) were on emergency vehicles. I also thought that the 1Hz directional flash rate was dictated by the DOT rules.

Attention getters or not, I still would like to see something in writing to have the ammunition needed to fight any violations issued by the cops.

And local laws are usually superceeded by the rules of DOT.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

i'll resurch.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Found some Info:

Site: http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/Sta...alLaws/AZ.html

Az laws:

28-754. Turning movements and required signals
A. A person shall not turn a vehicle at an intersection unless the vehicle is in proper position on the roadway as required in section 28-751, or turn a vehicle to enter a private road or driveway or otherwise turn a vehicle from a direct course or move right or left on a roadway unless and until the movement can be made with reasonable safety. A person shall not so turn any vehicle without giving an appropriate signal in the manner provided by this article in the event any other traffic may be affected by the movement.
B. A signal of intention to turn right or left when required shall be given continuously during not less than the last one hundred feet traveled by the vehicle before turning.
C. A person shall not stop or suddenly decrease the speed of a vehicle without first giving an appropriate signal in the manner provided by this article to the driver of any vehicle immediately to the rear when there is opportunity to give the signal.

28-755. Hand or arm signals or signal device
A person shall give a stop or turn signal if required by this article by means of the hand and arm or by a signal lamp or lamps or mechanical signal device of a type approved by the department. If a vehicle is constructed or loaded so that a hand and arm signal would not be visible both to the front and rear of the vehicle, the signals must be given by a lamp or lamps or signal device.

28-931. Lamp colors
A. Front clearance lamps and those marker lamps and reflectors mounted on the front or on the side near the front of a vehicle shall display or reflect an amber color.
B. Rear clearance lamps and those marker lamps and reflectors mounted on the rear or on the sides near the rear of a vehicle shall display or reflect a red color.
C. All lighting devices and reflectors mounted on the rear of any vehicle shall display or reflect a red color, except that:
1. The stoplight or other signal device may be red, amber or yellow.
2. The light illuminating the license plate or the light emitted by a backup lamp shall be white

28-939. Signal lamps and devices
A. A motor vehicle may be equipped and if required under this article shall be equipped with the following:
1. A stop lamp on the rear that emits a red or yellow light, that is actuated on application of the service or foot brake and that may be incorporated with a tail lamp.
2. One or more lamps or a mechanical signal device that is capable of clearly indicating an intention to turn either to the right or to the left and that is visible both from the front and rear.
B. A stop lamp shall be plainly visible and understandable from a distance of one hundred feet to the rear both during normal sunlight and at nighttime. A signal lamp or lamps indicating the intention to turn shall be visible and understandable during daytime and nighttime from a distance of one hundred feet both to the front and rear. If a vehicle is equipped with a stop lamp or other signal lamps, the lamp or lamps shall:
1. Be maintained at all times in good working condition.
2. Not project a glaring or dazzling light.
C. A mechanical signal device shall be self-illuminated when in use at the times provided in section 28-922.

28-947. Special restrictions on lamps
A. A person shall direct a lighted lamp or illuminating device on a motor vehicle, other than a head lamp, spot lamp, auxiliary lamp or flashing front direction signal, that projects a beam of light of an intensity greater than three hundred candlepower so that no part of the beam strikes the level of the roadway on which the vehicle stands at a distance of more than seventy-five feet from the vehicle.
B. A person shall not drive or move a vehicle or equipment on a highway with a lamp or device on the vehicle that is capable of displaying a red or red and blue light or lens visible from directly in front of the center of the vehicle. Lights visible from the front of a vehicle shall be amber or white. This section does not apply to either of the following:
1. An authorized emergency vehicle or a vehicle on which a red or red and blue light or lens visible from the front is expressly authorized or required by this chapter.
2. A fire engine that is solely used for hobby or display purposes and that has been issued a historic vehicle license plate pursuant to section 28-2484 if either of the following applies:
(a) The lights are covered and are not activated while a person is transporting or driving the vehicle to or from a parade, authorized assemblage of historic vehicles or test.
(b) The lights are activated only in a parade, for an authorized assemblage of historic vehicles or for testing purposes.
C. Except as provided in subsection D or E of this section, flashing lights on motor vehicles are prohibited except either:
1. On authorized emergency vehicles, school buses or snow removal equipment.
2. As warning lights on disabled or parked vehicles.
3. On a vehicle as a means for indicating a right or left turn.
D. A vehicle may have lamps that may be used to warn the operators of other vehicles of the presence of a vehicular traffic hazard requiring the exercise of unusual care in approaching, overtaking or passing. The vehicle may display these lamps as a warning in addition to any other warning signals required by this article. The lamps used to display the warning to the front shall be mounted at the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable and shall display simultaneously flashing white or amber lights or any shade of color between white and amber. The lamps used to display the warning to the rear shall be mounted at the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable and shall show simultaneously flashing amber or red lights or any shade of color between amber and red. These warning lights shall be visible from a distance of at least one thousand five hundred feet under normal atmospheric conditions at night.
E. A person may equip a motorcycle with a means of modulating the intensity of a head lamp beam between the higher and lower brightness at a rate of two hundred to two hundred eighty cycles per minute. A person shall not modulate the head lamp beam during the hours of darkness as prescribed in section 28-922.
HORNS:

28-954. Horns and warning devices
A. A motor vehicle when operated on a highway shall be equipped with a horn that is in good working order and that is capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of at least two hundred feet. Any horn or other warning device shall not emit an unreasonably loud or harsh sound or a whistle.
B. If reasonably necessary to ensure the safe operation of a motor vehicle, the driver shall give an audible warning with the driver's horn but shall not otherwise use the horn when on a highway.
C. A vehicle shall not be equipped with and a person shall not use on a vehicle a siren, whistle or bell, except as otherwise permitted in this section.
D. A vehicle may but is not required to be equipped with a theft alarm signal device that is arranged so that it cannot be used by the driver as an ordinary warning signal.
E. An authorized emergency vehicle may be equipped with a siren, whistle or bell that is capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of at least five hundred feet and that is of a type approved by the department. The siren shall not be used except when the vehicle is operated in response to an emergency call or in the immediate pursuit of an actual or suspected violator of the law or when necessary to serve a civil traffic complaint. During these events the driver of the vehicle shall sound the siren when reasonably necessary to warn pedestrians and other drivers of the approach of the emergency vehicle.
F. A siren shall be allowed on a fire engine that is solely used for hobby or display purposes and that has been issued a historic vehicle license plate pursuant to section 28-2484 if either of the following applies:
1. The siren is covered and is not activated while a person is transporting or driving the vehicle to or from a parade, authorized assemblage of historic vehicles or test.
2. The siren is activated only in a parade, for an authorized assemblage of historic vehicles or for testing purposes.

So it can be argued that strobes LED specifically can be bright but then again so can regular tail lights.

Still couldn't find anything on rate of blinker. Anyone feel free to look yourself
Old 05-09-2007, 05:25 PM
j0n
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

anyone have a link to get led strobes? cause im trying to find some for my side markers since no one down here has them yet. i rather be first to try them out.

Quick Reply: Strobe blinkers (Not the regular strobe kit.!!!!)