Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Tailgate Window Mod??

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 04:43 AM
5 Year Member

Default Tailgate Window Mod??

I did a search and have been on this site every now and then, but have never found anything on an idea I had for my box... Limo window mod for the back tailgate (i.e., back window lowers straight down into tailgate much like a regular power window). Eventually, if it works out, I would also like to do the same to the back side windows, giving the car a more "cali cruiser" - "almost Jeep Wrangler" functionality.

Has anyone seen this mod done before?

Also, I have not checked clearance for the motor in the tailgate, but if that does not work, has anyone seen a mod to make the tailgate window flip up like on most SUV's?

This would allow for fitting longer items in the back without having the whole gate open or having to fold the front seat down as well as the back seats.

My box is stock, minus the cheap rims it came with from the previous owner but those are gone in a bout a month. I am starting to think of what I want to do, and thought a back window mod may be the first thing I do (functionality as well as originality).

Any ideas or suggestions? I am open to good as well as bad feedback.
Old 09-23-2006, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

An interesting concept--but I am not sure there would be room for that window to come down..........
Old 09-23-2006, 03:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

there is no room inside for the window to come down. you would have to do alot of cutting and alot of re wireing and moving around of things. i like your idea though.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

mrfochs I have only seen this mod in my imagination for the past couple of years. lol At first I thought the same thing about the window sliding down, but was concerned about the clearance for just the window, I wasn't even't thinking about how to get it to work. Can you tell I don't work on cars? And plus I was wondering if I could make a cutout in my rear hatch panel for an amp, like right in the middle, but I don't know what it looks like under there yet. And so I thought about a flip up window that could be supported just like most of your flip up windows would be. I've wondered if the rear defroster would work the same if something like that was done.

About the side windows furthest back, I was thinking about those opening out a little, like those triangular sections you'd find on a lot of front windows on some older cars. But then again, the radio antenna is located IN the little window on the driver's side.

Something I'd still think about if I find out it's possible.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'd love to be able to pop those windows out if i know i'm gonna be cruising somewhere or whatever. that'd be cool
Old 09-25-2006, 09:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

haha... i've been having the same thoughts about the window.... i've looked at the hatch.. and think having it lift up would be the easiest thing to do.. w/o tons of cutting... theres little to no room for the glass to slide down

if funds and time permit this winter... i'll be doing some trials
Old 09-25-2006, 10:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

kekai, after what u were telling me @ the photohunt i was thinking about doing that but instead i just shaved the rear hatch clean..it looks sick. no pics thought till after HIN
Old 09-26-2006, 12:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

^^ tease.....

good.. no1 here has done it yet then....hahaha...
Old 09-26-2006, 12:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

arent you going to HIN kekai? here is a hint; rotora and tanabe (those are the small parts).
Old 09-26-2006, 12:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

yeah.. i got a free ticket... so i'll make an appearance
Old 09-26-2006, 01:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

I wonder if the window was made to flip up, if there would have to be some sort of frame around the glass to support it better and to connect the supports. Any thoughts?
Old 09-26-2006, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by willlangford
kekai, after what u were telling me @ the photohunt i was thinking about doing that but instead i just shaved the rear hatch clean..it looks sick. no pics thought till after HIN
booo you beat me! that is my winter project lol
Old 09-26-2006, 02:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Happybonbon
I wonder if the window was made to flip up, if there would have to be some sort of frame around the glass to support it better and to connect the supports. Any thoughts?
i'm thinking as is...no.... but make a seperate frame that fits in the existing window space to mount the glass too... and have that hinged some how.... then just lots of really good weather stipping to make it as rattle free as possible when closed... and good to go...

in paper napkin sketch theory... it really shouldnt be that difficult.... now taking that paper napkin and making it work and look good.... thats where people get hung up
Old 09-26-2006, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

ok i did play with the hatch, but it still operates like stock. im SO glad no one spotted me on my way from south seattle to monroe saturday! hmm let me think of a few other brand names of stuff on there...erm um yea mainly just exterior showcase for a friends company, the rest of the stuff, interior, and power will come this winter if i sell my 240sx, if i keep it then the xb will get delayed a bit but not much. well i hope i didnt give anything away. hit me up on aim or msn if u want to know what i did and cant wait till hin
Old 09-26-2006, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

I'll see you at HIN... as much as i like having inside knowledge... i think seeing the finished product will be much better

you are comeing to the SCAAs right??
Old 09-26-2006, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

no, i have a tradeshow for work in chicago..im sad im going to miss it... i wish i had one more black sparco torino then i could have those in for the show ...grr
Old 09-26-2006, 02:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by kkawana
in paper napkin sketch theory... it really shouldnt be that difficult.... now taking that paper napkin and making it work and look good.... thats where people get hung up
Hmm...paper napkin...you know if I just made the window out of actual napkins then I could easily remove my windows and just throw them away! They'd come in especially handy if someone spilled in my car, of course I'd have to beat them first, THEN take care of the spill. lol

Anyway, I'd be interested to see if anyone brings these ideas to life, and if anyone does, make sure you post a d.i.y!
Old 09-26-2006, 04:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

yea....i had kansai autoworks/motorsports in seattle do my work turned out awesome..someone who wants this might want to talk to them im sure they could do it!
Old 09-26-2006, 04:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

If I was anywhere near seattle then I might look them up...but I'm not exactly right next door. Guess I'll have to wait and see what other people have done and keep this possible mod on the back burner for me.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

actually one of my sponsors knows a lot of people in cali...ill have to ask him if he knows of any really good places.

Quick Reply: Tailgate Window Mod??