Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Visor Tint - Windshield Curvature - Straight Line?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 06:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

How about just posting up How to do it? Aren't we here to share and learn?
Old 04-24-2005, 11:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Window Tint , Shut **
Why dont you just come out and say " IM SELLING SOMETING "
You say that a PATTERN is TOO MUCH ! Well you gave NO SUGGESTIONS
That CORNERS " ARE TOO ANYLITACAL ?!?!?"
WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT ? You ROUND IT or you SQUARE IT !
Old 04-24-2005, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I don't window tint. But I been doing graphics and decals for more than 7 year. Most of it banner. including Scion.
What ever if you think I'm just but no window tinter here will bet me with a razor blade cutting that straight line.

I'll post some picture on how to do it this week. I'm doing it with a friend car and I'm putting a banner in my Box to with the straight line.

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-28-2020 at 02:18 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 04-24-2005, 10:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I can imagine a few ways to do this.

One is to lay down the tint with some extra width, then get a block of wood as wide as you want your tint strip, attach a a razor blade or Xacto blade to the side of the block. Put one side against the top of the windshield and drag the block/razor from one side to the other.

Another way (which will require at least three people) is to mark your desired width at the sides and center of the windshield. Then get a long strip of flexible metal. Hold the ends against the A pillar at the desired tint depth, letting the metal strip arc until it touches the mark in the middle.
The metal strip won't be laying flat on the glass. It will be on one edge, about perpendicular to the ground. Then cut along the metal strip.

Let's see. You could roughly place the tint and then shine a laser level on it. Cut along the line.

Or you could make a lot of marks -- every inch or so -- the desired distance from the top of the windshield then connect the dots with masking tape.

This ain't Rocket Science, amigos.

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-28-2020 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 04-25-2005, 12:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default nice box

Nice box!!
Old 04-25-2005, 01:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

WT has it. and its not that tuff, one easy way is to lift the wipers trim the bottom edge of the film on the cowl or rubber depending on the car and the put it back on the top a cut to desired size it really an optical illusion as to make it look straight your really putting a curve on it. its the factory tint edge that looks curved
Old 04-25-2005, 03:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bBTOY
Window Tint , Shut **
Why dont you just come out and say " IM SELLING SOMETING "
You say that a PATTERN is TOO MUCH ! Well you gave NO SUGGESTIONS
That CORNERS " ARE TOO ANYLITACAL ?!?!?"
WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT ? You ROUND IT or you SQUARE IT !
Cut ya a deal jerkoff - I shut up and you go first. You are the exact reason why I don't always post info. Everyone says it's impossible, I show it's not - then some moron like you pipes and wants to run their mouth - you are the exact reason I don't openly give "how-to's". Why should I? So some ***** like you can say something stupid? Screw that - you people can figure this sh*t out on your own. (everyone can thank people like bBTOY) This same thing happened with the motorized mirrors - I figured out what it took to wire them out first - people ran off at the mouth, I did clear rear corners first, people ran off at the mouth - For some reason I don't recognize your name, so I'm guessing that means you've had near zero to contribute that was worth remembering.

Come out and say what? I have something to sell? What would THAT be? Visors?!? On the INTERNET? Oh gee..wow..that's probably how I made my money and unofficially retired at 27...doing $10 visors all day.
I don't need or WANT your money, the only reason I even work is so I have something to do in the day and I won't have to fire the nanny. I could give a sh*t less if I EVER have another customer in the store (and screw the 'net, I don't feel like dealing with people).

And now that you really think I'm an ___ (I AM!), go back and REREAD the post you misquoted idiot. I didn't say corners are 'analytical' = I said theorizing about
WHY the sides were rounded off was being to analytical. Apparently you showed up for reading and writing classes - but skipped the comprehension courses.

Now f*ck off and fade back into the background where you belong.

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-28-2020 at 02:27 AM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 04-25-2005, 04:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

windowtint, don't let him get to you like that its not worth the effort. It's kinda like banging your head against the wall. He'll never get it so don't sweat it. The people that do get it will still benifit from your knowledge. Wow did I say that??? LOL
Old 04-25-2005, 12:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Windowtint, thanks, it worked great. Anyone ever heard of catching more flys with honey than vinegar? Geeze!
Old 04-25-2005, 01:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Windotint,

I gotta say i like your xB... You have inspired me to get my windshield tinted...i just wish you were closer, i would want you to do it.

and alexw1 is correct, there are more tactfull ways to use.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've never been accused of being very tactfull or diplomatic ... and I come off as REALLY harsh in print. In PERSON, most actually like me. LOL!

For local SL.com guys I've done labor or given away plenty for FREE (and if I had to, I charged only when and what I absolutely HAD to). If I got a part someone (local) needs - and I don't .. 'here - it's your's, no charge'

Sorry, I get a little testy when my motives are questioned. The reply that set me off is the typical type of crap that's shoved alot of us off from wanting to help on the board.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i can understand...
it's all good in the end..
Old 05-18-2005, 12:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

I'd like to see a comparo with the different curvatures and lengths of windsheild tints being used.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow....too much thinking going on in this thread......

to keep the tint from appearing concave on the winshield, compensate for it with a tint strip that is convex on the bottom edge and straight on the other 3 (where the windshield edges are)......
Old 05-18-2005, 12:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oops....I didn't read page 2......

Good job with the information guys!!!!
Old 05-19-2005, 12:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

hey wt, love the look of the box.
love how u painted the headlight housing hotlava!
is it just me, or does the sides and bottom of your windshield look tinted also??
thanks for the advice man, and nice box
Old 05-19-2005, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by windowtint
I've never been accused of being very tactfull or diplomatic ... and I come off as REALLY harsh in print. In PERSON, most actually like me. LOL!

For local SL.com guys I've done labor or given away plenty for FREE (and if I had to, I charged only when and what I absolutely HAD to). If I got a part someone (local) needs - and I don't .. 'here - it's your's, no charge'

Sorry, I get a little testy when my motives are questioned. The reply that set me off is the typical type of crap that's shoved alot of us off from wanting to help on the board.
amen brother!!! I can relate
Old 03-27-2020, 11:22 PM

Default Windshield Eyebrow arch

Originally Posted by alexw1
Question for Tinting Experts; I want a tinted visor that has a straight line across the windshield rather than a bow. Because of the curvature of the windshield, the center of the bow gets way too narrow and in my opinion looks bad, wide on the edges, narrow in the middle. The problem is that I can't figure out how to cut the film so that it ends up a straight line. I took it in to have it done by a so called experienced tinter and he had no clue. Anyone encountered and/or solved this? Thanks!
Breaking it down as much as possible without writing a book! They always tell you lay it out on the windshield on the outside and use the window to cut it. Me being skilled with my hands and have Multicraft experience I took my measurements of the windshield. Found me a big enough cardboard box to Measure out and cut a template for half of the windshield eyebrow. Keeping it legal length in the center going down to a nice curve on the edge about 2 inches past the legal line! Then i actually rolled out the tint and using water with a single drop of dish soap in a spray bottle squeegeed the same way you would on your windshield except to my sliding glass door on my patio. Take your time make sure the door is clean before installing the tint. Any little thing can crease or scratch and put a hole in your tint. Keep the door And both sides of your tint wet for the easiest handling. Cut out a nice big rectangle using your measurements from the windshield plus a few extra inches on each side to play with. Try to Always think a few steps ahead you can either use your template to cut your exact piece that you want or just use it for the curveD edge. Line up your template on the end and make a line or cut and flip it to do the same exact thing on the other half. better safe than sorry you can always cut off more you cannot put it back on! The rest is done with your knowledge and skill set make sure everything is square before you make your cuts. I ended up only using the template for the curve and used a dry erase marker to draw out the line I needed to cut. Then You can use something to make it easier or just gently roll it up and take it outside to install it!