Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

..WARNING: E-BAY LED TAIL mis-representation….

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 02:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Exclamation ..WARNING: E-BAY LED TAIL mis-representation….

I installed LED side markers and they were so cool, that I wanted to do all my lights in LED. So, after seeing all the ads, and searching all the threads, I decided that I want these LED tails:

About a dozen vendors show this type in their ad, but you will never get this style. A few years ago, the only manufacturer changed the style and did not tell any of the vendors.
So, they think they have this item, but what they really have is this style:

I e-mailed vendors to ask what type they had. They all lied. They would say “SAME AS PHOTO”. I would say NO, NO, the bottom half is different.

Three vendors ignored my request to confirm what is in the box. I even tried CARid.com and Chris at ex 801 wrote special orders to open the box to confirm that the light has a round turn/reverse light on the bottom half. I figured that if I had to, I would pay twice the price IF I could get what I want. But even that is not enough. An unopened box arrived with this inside:

I am old enough to remember when ‘BAIT & SWITCH’ was against the law.

If anyone has a set of these ‘old style’ LED tail lights, I will reward you with cash and a part that all box owners want…..an adjustable intermittent wiper switch with 2, 4, 6 & 8 second delay. Looks OEM and is from an 03-05 Vibe/Matrix. See this D.I.Y. thread on CLUBxB:
http://www.clubxb.com/forums/f17/diy-variable-intermittent-wiper-install-13897.html

Please visit my classified request for these:

(LED, BLACK housing with round turn/reverse light on the bottom half)

Link to my ad:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186398

Be warned….. E-BAY vendors use BAIT & SWITCH tricks!

Last edited by xBHAWK; 05-08-2010 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Wiper switch details added...and link added..
Old 05-07-2010, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

It's ebay, can't say I'm surprised. Honestly, the new style looks so much better, IMO.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree with burstaneurysm. I feel your pain and frustration with not receiving what you expected but my opinion is the ones that were sent are a bit nicer. All in all good luck in finding your item.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

The ones you have looks a lot better than the one on the ad. I personally like the squares than the circle. The circle lamp makes it look bad by having so much spaces around it.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

ok,ok he wasn't asking for opinions he was asking if anyone wanted to sell theirs lets not waste yet another thread getting off point
Old 05-07-2010, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Red face ...oy vey, e-bay...

Yes, the new style is more popular, perhaps that is why they changed.
Perhaps the new style is cheaper to make.

I did give the new style a chance; I installed them and drove to work with them. You can use either chamber for the turn and reverse bulb sockets, but light hits the bumper and looks strange.

I want that combination turn/reverse light. I like that space around the round light on the bottom half. This would match the black housing headlights that are next on my MOD list.
There is no accounting for taste in any case.

After reading the replies, I am hopeful that someone will want to swap or sell me what must be some old tail lights.

Thanks for reading/sympathizing...... Spread the work to anyone who has the 'old' style lamps.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

whats with the adjustable wiper switch? isnt that standard? is that a joke?
Old 05-07-2010, 09:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

No, that's not standard, our wipers have intermittent, normal and fast, that's it. The intermittent speed is set and non-adjustable.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh ok, thanks stan- i mean ian- for clearing that up...makes sense now
Old 05-08-2010, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I agree! I like the square ones better!
Old 05-08-2010, 02:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

those look better then the old
Old 05-09-2010, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member
Scinergy

Wish I had a set of the old... I'd run stockers to get that variable wiper switch.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cool Sprokets and flanges....

Thanks Sprocket! That is the kind of talk that I want to hear!

This is still
the time on Sprokets when we dance.....
Old 05-10-2010, 04:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

don't sweat it man. run the new ones, hook up the DIY LED turn signal mod in my sig... best look on the road. yur freakin out for nothing.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

try here http://www.carid.com/2006-scion-xb-taillights/
Old 05-12-2010, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default ...Who has the OLD style???

Yes, SNOW.. I saw your DIY, read it and saw most of the pictures, work blocks photobucket. Clever work there, but I don't want any overlap between brake lights and turn signals. Thanks for the sugestion, but you know the MOD bug, I must have what I must have.

SCYON, I did try CAR ID.com. They assured me that I would not get the wrong lights. We made a special opder to open the box to confirm the old style was in the box as shown in this ad:
http://www.carid.com/2005-scion-xb-t...hts-71417.html
An unopened box of the new style showed up anyway.
Even for $180, they don't care about right or wrong, false advertizing, fraud, bait & switch. CAR ID's CHRIS at ex 801 made the promises and lied.
At least CAR ID.com will be returning me my money in less than a month, the other liars took 5-6 weeks to process the return.
And don't think that they will pull the ad for the lights that they don't have, they WANT more ignorant customers.

Last edited by xBHAWK; 05-12-2010 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Bold sentance added to show rage and fury.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry to hear that bro I wish that site would have worked for ya if i find anything around my area i will let you know.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dude, nobody is bait and switching you. so you didn't get the old style... GET OVER IT. NOBODY IS OUT TO GET YOU. the style changed. most everyone only has the advertisement pictures from the old style from when they first came out. product updated, most pictures didn't. nobody is intentionally bait and switching anyone or trying to upset anybody. i know you want what you want but hey, products change over time. get over it. you can get all ____ed off at the people just selling the lights and call them liars and horrible business people or whatever makes you feel good but its not going to get you anywhere.

accept that the style changed and keep the new ones, or go back to OEM and quit whining. nothing is going to change by you searching and contacting every company selling these lights and then freaking out on them when they send you the only version of the lights they now sell. (which you already knew) there are no more "old" style.

and just a heads up, the overlap looks much better than an incandescent filament turn signal bulb or any piece of sh*t "plug and play LED bulb" people are just throwing in the slot and calling it good (even though they are practically invisible by day, and barely visible by night)
Old 05-14-2010, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

this is the first complaint i've seen about this, so obviously everyone that has bought has been happy with what they received.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default In rebuttal:

This IS exactly what “BAIT & SWITCH” is. Show a product in an ad and ship some other product. Since I posted this thread, I have received numerous calls from vendors, apologizing for the ‘mix-up’. They say that it is all SPYDER’s fault for not updating photos. I was offered $40 off, by one vendor, (to keep the new style) and that is proof enough for me,that I was an innocent victim of “BAIT & SWITCH”.

Not whinning, it is called reporting. If you don’t like my posts then don’t read them, or write to your congressman to mute my right to free speech, SNOWROMANCE.
I complement you on your DIY and you get all offended that I didn’t use it?
Now that I see your admission that “(even though they are practically invisible by day, and barely visible by night) “, your mod is NOT so clever, I want VERY visible day & night. Crazy and whinney as that sounds.

Some people would say nothing even if their mail order bride was a dude. I am not one of them. The search continues for the old style tail lights.

The new style square turn and reverse lights look just like my mothers 72 Catalina and I want ‘altezza’ clear so you can see the bulbs inside. Just like the picture in the ads that still runs along side the ‘new’ style tail lights. See CARid.com for example.

Who has a set of the old style LED tails, and is ready for something new?

PM xBHAWK

Quick Reply: ..WARNING: E-BAY LED TAIL mis-representation….