Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

What's our xB's made of?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 06:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default What's our xB's made of?

Anyone know what gauge steel is used for the xB body (roof). I am thinking about doing my ragtop DIY. Before I do this I want to practice cutting the same gauge steel with an air nibbler. I knew getting an air compressor was dangerous! Now I'm liable to try all sorts of stupid ____ on my car!
Old 04-15-2004, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think it would look absolutely hideous as a rag top....dont ruin this car
Old 04-15-2004, 06:31 PM
Former Sponsor
SL Member
DelMarVa
Scion Tuners

I think a sliding ragtop would look great. Just my opinion! We have a company here in annapolis that does them for $1200 retail.
Old 04-15-2004, 06:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

A Pepsi can oughta be about the same strength... I'm Joking, I'm Joking

From my understanding, there's a rather substantial support beam that shouldn't be hacked and gets in the way of a larger opening such as a ragtop. I think someone said there was one down in So-Cal tho...

Anythings possible, but man that is one you can't really walk away from if you start and can't order a factory roof if you f$%^ it up... Good Luck...
Old 04-15-2004, 06:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

SPFR Jon has a sliding ragtop on his Cherry red xB, he was the first to do it, as well as dual sunroofs on his blue xB - looks really sweet!

- Brian
Old 04-15-2004, 06:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i've seen an xB with a powered rag-top...it looked pretty good. The rag top retracts on its own with one touch button... it's pretty dope with the whole top open..cuz it goes almost back to the trunk area. i think the guy said he spent $1,800 on it. I liked it cuz it's powered...not one of those manual ones.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think it would look absolutely hideous as a rag top....dont ruin this car
Bro, I think this car is begging for a rag top. I guess it depends on the overall look you are going for. I have 15" ATS Cup with white lettering on mine. A rag top definitely keeps with the old school Euro theme that I have in mind.

From my understanding, there's a rather substantial support beam that shouldn't be hacked and gets in the way of a larger opening such as a rag top
It's true that there is that "support" rib that is right above the front seats. However, I've talked to two sunroof guys and both of them said that its there as a way of reducing sag and vibration in the roof and NOT as a means of supporting the frame of the car.

you can't really walk away from if you start and can't order a factory roof if you f$%^ it up...
Can't argue with that. Thats why I'm looking to practice on some cheap sheet metal. I may even go to a junk yard and bring home a hood or door panel to practice on. I've spent some time researching this on DIY web sites and the only really hard thing seems to be cutting the hole evenly. I may rent a nibbler and find that I'm out of my mind for even thinking about this, but this type of ____ is really fun for me so I'm hoping to give it a go.

it's pretty dope with the whole top open..cuz it goes almost back to the trunk area. i think the guy said he spent $1,800 on it. I liked it cuz it's powered...not one of those manual ones.
I'm gonna rock a 40" x 70" that goes almost all the way back. Do you know what brand his is? I'd love to get a powered one that big. I'm assuming $1,800 included installation?
Old 04-15-2004, 10:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

make it into a camper, or better yet... a double decker, paint it red, get a british driver or just someone with bad teeth. chicks will want you for this, trust me.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You kid about the camper, but the thought has crossed my mind. Having some sort of tent attachment that hooks up to the xB open hatchback would be dope.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Minsk99
You kid about the camper, but the thought has crossed my mind. Having some sort of tent attachment that hooks up to the xB open hatchback would be dope.
Like this:

or this?

Old 04-15-2004, 11:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

YUP!!! Gotta love the two story one.