Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Windshield Cracked and Then Replaced Twice

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 12:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Windshield Cracked and Then Replaced Twice

I have had the worst "Luck" with my XB. I love the car but it keeps giving me problems. It has been in accident when the lady in back of me didn't stop for a red light. Then while it was being fixed, the autobody placed crashed it. The other day a rock cracked my windshield on the highway. The glass place replaced it the other day and used a generic molding and it came out like crap and it fogged up on the inside of the glass. They put in another windshield today. I went to get inside the car and cut my finger cuz the retards left GLASS in the car. I also noticed on the second install they scrapped the dash. I hope this windshield holds up and doesn't leak. The glass place has a lifetime warranty and so does the autobody shop. I have been back to the autobody shop five times and and now I have problems with the glass company. I have come to the conclusion that places with warrantys never do the work done right the first time because it will be covered under warranty. I was wondering how many xb owners have had their windshield replaced. I have had mine replaced twice now/ Grrrrr.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I bought my BOX in DEC. , it had a chip on the Windshield . So the Dealer Replaced it for me , they HAD TO .
Then in APRIL , on a rainy day , some bum trying to get out of the rain and a hot meal or maybe he tried to kill himself , but he DOVE in front of my car !
His body was SIDEWAYS coming through my Windshield ! ( There are pics in my profile ) That accident having also messed up my HOOD / GRILL / LIGHTS / Under DASH , meant my BOX was gone for 2+ MONTHS because the Parts are in JAPAN !
But I still LOVE my BOX !
Old 08-18-2005, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had my winshield replaced a few weeks ago by safelite they did a great job...it was covered by my insurance company I believe the receipt said like $420
Old 08-18-2005, 03:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm trying to go a little longer on my cracked windshield. It's been getting worse but still not horroble and I even had it tinted over the crack (since it's at the top). My thinking was, I barely had it 2 mos. and the windshield already cracked. I really don't want to replace it 6x/yr. so I'll hold out as long as I can. Well, 8 mos later, same windshield. It gets really cold here sometimes though and I bet it worse because of that.

Your luck has got to change with that xB though. It will I bet!
Old 08-18-2005, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bBTOY
I bought my BOX in DEC. , it had a chip on the Windshield . So the Dealer Replaced it for me , they HAD TO .
Then in APRIL , on a rainy day , some bum trying to get out of the rain and a hot meal or maybe he tried to kill himself , but he DOVE in front of my car !
His body was SIDEWAYS coming through my Windshield ! ( There are pics in my profile ) That accident having also messed up my HOOD / GRILL / LIGHTS / Under DASH , meant my BOX was gone for 2+ MONTHS because the Parts are in JAPAN !
But I still LOVE my BOX !

I looked at your pictures. Did the guy even survive?

There are scams where someone will run into our cars (any car) for the insurance claim that will result.

It almost happened to me recently. I -saw- what was going down. I had time to stop dead in my tracks. Therefore that guy on the bicycle could not ride into me and say that I had hit -him-. He was coming in from the left side, a black guy on an unlit bicycle on a black night, while his cohort, dressed in bright clothes gestured and wobbled from the right side of the road... to draw your eye to -him- so the bike man might scrape his bars on the left side of the slow but moving car... then fall and claim a hit.

In your case... I can't figure that out unless the guy was either suicidal or a very bad judge of your speed v. his body mass.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default cracked windshield

Ouch,I Dont like to hear that! At work the company gave me a 2003 Toyota Tacoma and the windshield cracked within the first 5000 miles.It was replaced and 2 months later a SMALL rock jumped up on the freeway and cracked it again,this time the crack grew from the center of the windshield all the way to the passenger end of the glass.Hopefully this is just bad luck and not a problem with toyota windshields.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:22 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My windshield has been replaced twice.

First time was because someone tossed four chunks of concrete at the front of my xB, second time was because the aftermarket glass used to replace it the first time (Pilkington) did NOT fit correctly and I would not accept the job. The third glass in there is an excellent job, looks good and fits well.

I don't think there's a problem with Toyota windshields, just a problem with large expanses of nearly vertical glass whizzing down the road...
Old 08-19-2005, 05:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i got my xB 7 days ago. 3 days ago i was driving on the highway and something hit the windshield. CRACK! so within 4 dys of having my new 2006 xB it already has a crack int he windshield. i'm so annoyed. it's not as noticeable so i'm just going to leave it for a while.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Default Re: Windshield Cracked and Then Replaced Twice

Originally Posted by y2jdx69
I have had the worst "Luck" with my XB. I love the car but it keeps giving me problems. It has been in accident when the lady in back of me didn't stop for a red light. Then while it was being fixed, the autobody placed crashed it. The other day a rock cracked my windshield on the highway. The glass place replaced it the other day and used a generic molding and it came out like crap and it fogged up on the inside of the glass. They put in another windshield today. I went to get inside the car and cut my finger cuz the retards left GLASS in the car. I also noticed on the second install they scrapped the dash. I hope this windshield holds up and doesn't leak. The glass place has a lifetime warranty and so does the autobody shop. I have been back to the autobody shop five times and and now I have problems with the glass company. I have come to the conclusion that places with warrantys never do the work done right the first time because it will be covered under warranty. I was wondering how many xb owners have had their windshield replaced. I have had mine replaced twice now/ Grrrrr.
I could see the first part happening. But why would the body shop be driving it around??? And why wasn't it being fixed at the dealership??? Genuine Toyota parts only for Me!!!
Generic moldings??? Don't get it. The molding is to be reused. It is just a garnish around the glass to fill in the gap.
Glass left in the car and scraped up dash sounds like a case for Judge Judy. Sounds like pain and suffering and also a brand new dash to replaced the scraped up one!
Seems like I must be lucky to have gone 20,000 miles with only one small chip that is barely noticable.
Only thing I could suggest is to stay far enough behind other vehicles so stuff doesn't fly up and hit the windshield.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by suprfli
i got my xB 7 days ago. 3 days ago i was driving on the highway and something hit the windshield. CRACK! so within 4 dys of having my new 2006 xB it already has a crack int he windshield. i'm so annoyed. it's not as noticeable so i'm just going to leave it for a while.
That happened a couple days ago to me in my van and I was able to have the crack filled so it wouldn't spread. The repair also came with a warranty against spreading. I'd get it fixed ASAP!!!! The repair should only cost around 40 bucks and could save you $'s in the future. Safelite will also come to you and do the repair. Good luck.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Has anyone tried a bug shield to deflect small rocks, or is it a waste of money?
Old 08-19-2005, 06:55 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Official word from both Toyota and the glass shop is that the molding around the windshield is one-time use...
Old 08-19-2005, 04:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

correct...one time use.

i had mine changed 3 times in 3 weeks...
scratched paint and glue covered vin plate...
Old 08-20-2005, 01:02 AM
5 Year Member

if you lived in FL the front windows are free no matter how many times they crack from the heat. even if something hits it
Old 08-20-2005, 12:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by Tomas
My windshield has been replaced twice.

second time was because the aftermarket glass used to replace it the first time (Pilkington) did NOT fit correctly and I would not accept the job. The third glass in there is an excellent job, looks good and fits well.

I don't think there's a problem with Toyota windshields, just a problem with large expanses of nearly vertical glass whizzing down the road...
Well " PILKINGTON " glass is the SAME glass that LAND ROVER`s use , so I think they just didnt set it in right .
And YES the problem is a BIG Windshield almost verticle . So when something hits it does not scim off as well as other cars windows .
Old 08-20-2005, 12:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I looked at your pictures. Did the guy even survive?

There are scams where someone will run into our cars (any car) for the insurance claim

In your case... I can't figure that out unless the guy was either suicidal or a very bad judge of your speed v. his body mass.[/quote]

1 ) YES the guy ( SOB ) did survive . My car took OVER 2 Months to get fix , and he get out 2 weeks before I got my car . I wanted to KILL him .
2 ) Yeah I know about the SCAMS . That is WHY I mentioned " to get out of rain and some hot food and bed "
3) I had just come from a STOP light , went through the Intersection and was in the "middle" of another block , I was driving with Other cars . It started to rain really hard as I passed the 2nd Xwalk , ALL of us , about 8 cars , I was nearest the curb with maybe 2 car lengths until the next car in front of me . ALL of us SLOWED down when it poured . So I cant see that I was doing more than 20 - 25MPH .
PLUS , there was 1 MORE lane before the curb , That is used and closed as traffic dictates . So he came running out and DOVE , just catching his hip on my hood , then his Body and Head hit my windshield . And our cars have some really good Crumpling on the hood . He wasnt a BIG man , but he definetly had MOMENTUM when he finally hit me . And the guy was SO LOADED , so Im not sure what he had on his mind .
Old 08-20-2005, 07:32 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, bBTOY, Pilkington is the same glass used by a number of vehicle manufacturers as original equipment, but in this particular case the glass did not fit.

The curve of the top of the Pilkington windshield was much greater than the curve at the top of the windshield opening in the xB.

With the two upper corners of the glass inset as far as they could be into the frame, the center of the glass was bowed out 1/2 to 5/8ths of an inch in front of the leading edge of the xB roof. No amount of 'resetting' or shifting the glass could have changed that (the bottom and sides fit perfectly).

That particular glass was curved incorrectly. (There were also numerous 'distortions' in the glass where reflections from the surface or objects viewed through it were 'wavey.')

The second brand of aftermarket glass installed in my xB is made by a manufacturer that does OEM work for Toyota in some of their Asian markets (Fuyao Glass Industry Group Co., Ltd.) and was a perfect fit.

Pilkington is a quality glass manufacturer, however the replacement windshield I received from them should never have made it out of the factory in one piece...
Old 08-24-2005, 10:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Wow , I cant believe that made it past Inspection . I had 2 Pilkington`s within Months of each other and did not see that problem . And definetly did not see ANY waviness . That would ____ me off , too .
Well as long as you ended up with a " Proper " fitting glass , Who Ever makes it . ( He`s making sure the FIT is perfect )
Old 09-09-2005, 05:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Man, I feel for you.

I came back to LA from Vegas last year. The drive along the 15 was clear of any problems, but when I hit San Bernadino.....................BAM! A rock hits my wind shield putting a quater size crack in the center of the glass. I lived with it for about half a year becuase it shocked the !@#$ out of me when the dealer said they wanted 700.00 for a replacement!

So...........I finally found a place that did the replace ment for around 200.00.....a few weeks later......................chip! chip! chip!
Old 09-09-2005, 06:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I cant believe it , My dealer was $400 in Los Angeles ( By the way Thats X 2 ) so if it was $700
But to get it DONE for $200 !!

Quick Reply: Windshield Cracked and Then Replaced Twice