Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Windshield Cracked and Then Replaced Twice

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 07:30 AM
5 Year Member

SCXB. I have a Lund bugshield and it did not prevent the crack on my windshield.

I did not know that people fill the crack to stop the spreading. Is this called "molding"?
My windshield has a semicircle crack where the VIN number is located.
The crack starts from the edge and ends at the edge 4 inches away.
I am guessing that I dont' have to worry about the crack spreading because the crack is already touching two different edges of windshield.
The crack is about a size of my fist and It does not bother me when I am driving.

My windshield replacement deductible is $500.
I requested my Farmers insurance agent to change my windshield deductible to $100. It has been 3 weeks and there is no change in my policy.
Farmers would not give me good-student discount either, even though I qualify.
The agents only tells me underwriter did not apply the discount. whatever that means.
I think it's about time I switch to different insurance company.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Longo Toyota......

If I recall, the glass was 6 hundren something, plus another 30 or 40 for the molding, and then installation......a fortune!

The place i had it done was ....ehhh can't remember the name..Winshield Repair something in Covina. It only too about half an hour.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am beginning to believe what my friend says about dumping a car right after repairing it from a mishap. "It's never the same again." As you know, the windshield does have a structual functionality in most cars, so if they screw it up replacing it or the frame is bent, it will never be the same.

BTW, why is the xB windshield so hard for these glass shops to fix!?!?! I know a couple of other xB owners with problems after the glass monkeys f^ed up the window! I've had windshields put into my Econoline, VW, and Neon with no probs. I guess it's settled, I'll sell my box(s) 'as-is' when the windshield cracks!
Old 10-15-2005, 03:28 AM
5 Year Member

Same old story: I've had my box for 2 months and had one star, several chips (I swear BUGS leave chips in that window) that didn't go all the way through. Today it cracked on my way to work. I took a small stone just after I left the house and by the time I got to my office there was a 3" crack. By the time the glass repair guy showed up at noon it was like 10" long and irreparable.

I've been reading all this windshield stuff and talking to owners of tc's as well as xb's and I don't buy that it's just because of the angle of the windshield. There's a thread on here about replacing windshields on the tc and the guy who fixed my first star drives a tc and said he averages about one chip a week. I think Scion is using the crappiest glass on the road.

So anyway, my insurance Co. will pay for OEM, but the glass place also has the Pilkington and another aftermarket (three letters that I can't remember) I'm wondering if anyone has had an aftermarket windshield installed (other than the one that didn;t fit right) and, if so, whether it's holding up any better than the OEM?
Old 10-16-2005, 10:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

[quote="skim"]SCXB. I have a Lund bugshield and it did not prevent the crack on my windshield.

I did not know that people fill the crack to stop the spreading. Is this called "molding"?
My windshield has a semicircle crack where the VIN number is located.
The crack starts from the edge and ends at the edge 4 inches away.
I am guessing that I dont' have to worry about the crack spreading because the crack is already touching two different edges of windshield.
The crack is about a size of my fist and It does not bother me when I am driving.

Im not sure what its called when the glass is filled to stop it from spreading , BUT , No matter HOW GOOD they are - ONLY STARS are filled . NOT 4" long cracks

tmshpkns
I have a PILKINTON , 2X in fact , And I have Never had ANY Bad fit or waviness in the glass . This glass is used in Land Rovers . I have put about 4000 Miles since last replacement , driving on the FWY , and I have not had any Pitting / Cracks / Stars .
I think its has MORE to do with WHERE YOU DRIVE . If there are A LOT of pebbles / rocks / " Bullet Bugs " Then Your going to have Problems . I dont think it would matter What ANGLE or WHO MADE the glass .
BUT IF THE GLASS IS NOT PUT IN - CORRECTLY - THATS ANOTHER STORY . THEN , YOU WILL HAVE LEAKS , WHISTLES OR CRACKING .
Old 10-17-2005, 03:21 PM
5 Year Member

No matter HOW GOOD they are - ONLY STARS are filled . NOT 4" long cracks
Check out Safelite's website. They advertise they can repair cracks up to 6 inches. Glass Doctor (who is my insurance co's "preferred" glass installer/repairer) said they could do them up to 8 inches. I don't know that that means they can make it look any better, just that they can stop it from spreading further (assuming it's like the star I had repaired - I can still see it). I think that if it's already touching both sides there's no point.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by SciFly

I looked at your pictures. Did the guy even survive?

There are scams where someone will run into our cars (any car) for the insurance claim that will result.

It almost happened to me recently. I -saw- what was going down. I had time to stop dead in my tracks. Therefore that guy on the bicycle could not ride into me and say that I had hit -him-. He was coming in from the left side, a black guy on an unlit bicycle on a black night, while his cohort, dressed in bright clothes gestured and wobbled from the right side of the road... to draw your eye to -him- so the bike man might scrape his bars on the left side of the slow but moving car... then fall and claim a hit.

In your case... I can't figure that out unless the guy was either suicidal or a very bad judge of your speed v. his body mass.
Well the guy got out of Hospital 2 WEEKS before I got my BOX back . The thing that saved me from going to jail or whatever - The BUM was coming out of a KNOWN park where Drug Addicts and Transients stay . His BLOOD ALCHOHOL WAS OFF THE CHART, thats why he lived . It ALSO had been raining ALL DAY , and had been FALLING so HARD before the accident . He was Homeless and trying to get out of the rain OR it was just that bad of life that he wanted to kill himself . He definetly was NOT a good judge of ANYTHING . It was the MOST SCARIEST THING I HAVE EVER HAD HAPPEN TO ME , he was FLAT on his back in the middle of the street - NOT MOVING . I THOUGHT I KILLED HIM But what was CRAZY is that I had just come from a STOP maybe 40-50 ft back , was the Lead Right Lane with a car to my left and at least half a dozen cars behind each of us . It was raining SO HARD , that we were ALL TOGETHER doing it SLOWER than the Speed Limit . So there is NO WAY he did NOT see ALL these cars with maybe 3 car lengths in front of us before another group of cars . He hit my windshield FULL BODY sideways - HE DOVE HIGH so as to NOT hit the BODY but to roll off . Where I Tagged him first was on the HOOD - had he just took ONE STEP BACK - this would NOT have happened or as bad . But like I was stating , I wasnt going that fast ( maybe 23 - 30mph in a 35mph MAX ) and he wasnt a big man AND STILL did ALL that damage
The COP even called me up after the accident and seeing the BUM in the Hospital to tell me " DONT WORRY , this guy was so HOPPED UP "
BUT NOW , this ___ after ALL this time , is NOW SUING my INS. Co.
WHY CAN I NOT SUE HIM FOR DAMAGES !!??
Old 10-18-2005, 01:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by tmshpkns
No matter HOW GOOD they are - ONLY STARS are filled . NOT 4" long cracks
Check out Safelite's website. They advertise they can repair cracks up to 6 inches. Glass Doctor (who is my insurance co's "preferred" glass installer/repairer) said they could do them up to 8 inches. I don't know that that means they can make it look any better, just that they can stop it from spreading further (assuming it's like the star I had repaired - I can still see it). I think that if it's already touching both sides there's no point.
WOW , Im amazed ! I had NO IDEA that a crack that BIG could be done , Im sure it would LOOK better AND STOP IT from spreading anymore . I really thought it was JUST for STARS and SMALL CRACKS . And YES if its touching 2 or MORE sides - you better Bite the Bullet .
I hope I never have ANOTHER windshield PROBLEM , but if so I hope I can do the FILL and HOLD a Crack or Star for awhile .
Old 10-18-2005, 01:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by SCXB
Has anyone tried a bug shield to deflect small rocks, or is it a waste of money?
Ive ALSO heard that others with the Deflector have CRACKS in their windows . I think ALL they are good for is BUG DEFLECTION - their LIGHT bodies go with the flow created by it .