Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

xB Fender Flares?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 06:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

8 inch wide wheel with 0 mm offset

The “*”s represent the mounting hub of the wheel…if the offset is positive, the mounting hubs would move over to the right (the outside dish of the wheel)…if you get negative offset, the mounting hub would move over to the left (inside dish of the wheel). With the negative, you would gain more lip…now keep in mind, that is just the basics, now if you wanna get into A Disk and O disk, that’s another whole explanation, but there is the basics of offsets…hope that illustration helps people out ;-)
Old 12-22-2005, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Team Prototype also sells the carbon ones-

http://estore.teamprototype.com/?nav...&product_id=71
Old 12-22-2005, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ctruss
Originally Posted by bBOXD
IMHO for flares this is what i would do.

9" -25
10" -15
Sorry, but thats LESS dish that the wheel sizes I was talking about.

If you go with a 9" wide wheel, you will need roughly -25mm offset in the front and -20mm in the rear. If you do 8" wide wheels you will need roughly -20mm offset in the front and -10mm offset in the rear.

As you increase that negative offset number you will have less dish and the wheel will not stick out as far.

Example: Most sport compact cars or FWD cars in general (including our xB's) have wheels with an offset of -33mm to -40mm.
Are you serious?! You have no clue what you are talking about do you? OMG, where do you get your information from? You are so completely far from the truth. If you think most FWD cars come in negative offsets everything you know about cars is not true. HAHAHA you're incredible bro! hahahaha. You should seriously do some research before you confuse people and make yourself look like a true WINNER! What makes you think you know what you are talking about?

Trust me... I know...

suspended- Thanks for the explanation bro. You do know what you are talking about.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:50 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea sorry ctruss you're way off on this one. the more negative it is, the more dish it *usually* has and the more it sticks out away from the car.

wayne did explain it well. most wheels for our cars that are seen are the honda offsets (40 offset) and most FWD are positive like that.

if you have any questions, feel free to PM me and I can answer them for you.

Then again I am a noob at this car stuff

Scott
Old 12-22-2005, 08:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Sorry, i got negative and positve mixed up.

I know FWD wheels are HIGH offset and I also know I am right about the size wheels needed as I stated above.

I won't go anyfurther because you all obviously think you are better than me. I guess I should be bowing down to your superior knowledge. Hope you are picking up my sarcasm.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know a thing or two about cars, after about 6 years, some things catch on ;-)

I would have to agree with bboxd on the offsets for the flares, right now i'll use my fronts for example, they are 17x8.5 with a + 16mm offset, and notice from the pic, they stick out slighly (almost an inch, and i'm running no camber in the front at present time in that pic)

now with them sticking out that far, if you have fender flares that give you two more inches of clearance...lets see here...

2 inches=50.8 mm
16-50=-34 (which I don't think they make a wheel that they make a wheel with that offset)

I would suggest possibly a 9" or even a 10" wheel with the correct offsets, just play around with the figures like i explained above, remember, with the chart i made, for a 9" wide wheel, each side of the hub will have roughly 4.5", etc etc, just split the number in half (yes, that will only give you an aproxomite b/c no hub is 0 inches...hopefully you know what i mean ;-)
Old 12-22-2005, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

^^Those are nice wheels.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry, i got negative and positve mixed up.

I know FWD wheels are HIGH offset and I also know I am right about the size wheels needed as I stated above.

I won't go anyfurther because you all obviously think you are better than me. I guess I should be bowing down to your superior knowledge. Hope you are picking up my sarcasm.
ok, don't take it like that, if we wouldn't correct it, kids would go out there and buy some jacked up fitment wheels thinking he was going to get a 4" lip, but instead he gets a monoblock wheel with no lip, or a cup style wheel, or a wheel that won't fit on his/her car at all
Old 12-22-2005, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^Those are nice wheels.
thank you, they're about to be closer to the fender soon...those are just tanabe springs, bout to run either cusco vacanza or hks hipermax...hopefully if all goes well, in about a month i'll be 4" or lower down in the front iwth -2 degrees of camber, and keeping my -3 degrees in the rear
Old 12-22-2005, 08:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good job explaning it Wayne.

My sizes on recommendations for flares still stand.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The one thing all of you "wheel gurus" are forgetting to mention is that an 8" wide wheel isn't 8" wide. An 8" wheel with 0 offset doesn't leave 4" in the back and 4" in the front. It is more like 4.5" in the back and 4.5" to the front. Wheels are measured to the inside of the lip at the tire mounting surface. Most wheels have close to 1/2" of additional material on each side.

So everyone needs to keep that in mind when you are trying to figure out your own custom fitments. If you are having a quality wheel company build the wheels all you should have to do is tell them what vehicle you have, what kind of stance it has, and how you want your wheels to fit (tuck, flush, etc.) If they can't get it correct with that much information, it is time to move on to a different (better) wheel company.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RTon20s
The one thing all of you "wheel gurus" are forgetting to mention is that an 8" wide wheel isn't 8" wide. An 8" wheel with 0 offset doesn't leave 4" in the back and 4" in the front. It is more like 4.5" in the back and 4.5" to the front. Wheels are measured to the inside of the lip at the tire mounting surface. Most wheels have close to 1/2" of additional material on each side.

So everyone needs to keep that in mind when you are trying to figure out your own custom fitments. If you are having a quality wheel company build the wheels all you should have to do is tell them what vehicle you have, what kind of stance it has, and how you want your wheels to fit (tuck, flush, etc.) If they can't get it correct with that much information, it is time to move on to a different (better) wheel company.
very good add on...like say, there are many aspects in wheels to take into consideration, if you want flush fit wheels, you can't just pick any wheel and say "that one"
Old 12-22-2005, 10:13 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by suspended
Originally Posted by RTon20s

very good add on...like say, there are many aspects in wheels to take into consideration, if you want flush fit wheels, you can't just pick any wheel and say "that one"

that is true that the wheel lip diameter (from outside to inside) is about an inch more than the wheels "size", but the facts still remain that the offsets given wouldnt add up to a flared look. hardly ever is it the case that the wheel lip is half the size of the diameter of the given size by the manufacturer. (4 inch lip on 8inch for example). that will depend on the type of wheel and the construction also. (1 piece, 2 piece, 3 piece)

What im basically saying is, that what you put RTon20s, is not going to affect the sheer fact that the offsets given by ctruss would be vastly off from what they should be. Lip size on this would not be a factor as a 17x7 with 40 offset or whatever would not be close to what it really could be.

Scott
Old 12-22-2005, 10:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You might not think the statement I made is a big deal, but it can mean all the difference in the world. I know this from personal experience. It is especially important for folks who are trying to take measurements on their own for wheel companies. That TRUE inside and outside lip is where you are going to see all of your interference. It is best to know where it will truly sit.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The best thing to do is just listen...
Old 12-23-2005, 12:02 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea no doubt I had to fit 15x9s on my car and it was a _____ because of that inside "real" lip. When you're spacing out a wheel that far such that you need fenders, usuallys its not the components of suspension that interfere, its more like fenders
Old 12-23-2005, 02:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ha a lot of this is jibberish to me jus cuz i aint kno that much but ne ways.. can any of yall forward links or ideas of wheel designs that fit such specs?? i've seen many eurolines..but wut else?
Old 12-23-2005, 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wut?