Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

xB Front end; Bugs, Stone Chips, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 10:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default xB Front end; Bugs, Stone Chips, etc.

I found that 3M makes an 8mil clear flim for the xB. There's a kit available for the entire front of your xB! I had the kit applied to my lower air dam, front bumper, leading edge of the hood and front fenders and the backs of the mirrors. It's called 'Scotchcal' or Clearguard in it's automotive application. There's also a 40 mil kit for the headlamps and foglights. The film is GREAT! Very much worth the minimal cost. I live in Knoxville, TN and found a local applier using Google and the keywords Scotchcal and Clearguard (if I can find it in Knoxville, TN almost a full year before the car is available here,...). I have a Thundercloud Silver xB, the film is nearly invisible at it's edges, and now my hood, etc. are protected from rocks, bugs, etc.. Now, if they only made something for the windshield!
Old 09-17-2003, 11:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default but you might

But does is it noticable when the guard gets scratched up, and do bugs get impaled on it... I don't wanna have turn of the century vlad the impaler style bug holocaust displayed on my xB...
Old 09-21-2003, 08:49 AM
5 Year Member

any know of a place that does the application in socal? preferably for as cheap as possible
Old 09-21-2003, 11:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Today at the local WallyWorld I parked nose-to-nose with another white xB. Even had the same wheel covers! This poor guy had taken a rock hit on the windshield right in front of the driver. Nasty long crack directly across the driver's vision.

I have a feeling that windshield cracks will be an issue with the xB, as it is rather low and has a steep windshield. Not much we can do about it, though, except to leave a bit more room between us and the next car, and avoid the state of Montana.

George
Old 09-22-2003, 01:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

scioned.com has the clear bras. maybe you can get one put on if you go to the spy meet in sd.
Old 09-22-2003, 07:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Darn, but it coulda been worse

yeah I think I got a small chip on the top of my windshield already, but I can't see it very well, but I could feel it....
Old 09-22-2003, 07:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

PushyTop >> How much did you pay for it? Was there a seperate charge for the materials and the labor? I've been lagging on getting the kit over at scioned.com because I'm afraid that i won't apply it properly, plus, it seems kinda expensive for a clear liner doesnt it?
Old 11-13-2003, 01:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Venting

I'm soooooo mad!! I got my first noticable chip in my windshield!! Just a little thing, but it's right smack in the middle of the drivers side. It's like a middle finger staring back at me every time I get in the vehicle.
I was SO careful about following cars with more than half their tire showing, keeping my distance. So what sprays up at me? Well, I was behind a Buick and a Honda Civic last night. I hate everything now.
I hate all Hondas.
I hate all Buicks.
I hate rain that losens gravel.
I hate Southwest for making me have to redeem my voucher at the airport.
I hate my Mazda MPV for not getting better gas milage and making me take that.
I hate the 15 Fwy.
I hate the fact that warranty won't cover it.
I love this forum :D !
Cameron
Old 11-13-2003, 03:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Venting

Originally Posted by Cameron
I'm soooooo mad!! I got my first noticable chip in my windshield!! Just a little thing, but it's right smack in the middle of the drivers side...
Sorry to hear about your mishap. I have a feeling that with its low height and upright windshield the xB will probably have a lot of windshield chips.

If the chip is small, you can probably repair it with one of the epoxy windshield repair kits from your FLAPS. Make sure that you follow the instructions carefully! Don't expect a perfect repair, but it usually makes it look a lot better!

Work on a warm day and make sure that the windshield has been dry for some time. You don't want to trap moisture in the crack!

Using one of these repair kits ASAP after you get the crack will help prevent the crack from spreading. Cracks spread because water gets into them and wedges the crack apart, particularly by freezing. Sealing the crack before water gets in can save your windshield from a major "growing" crack!

George
Old 11-13-2003, 03:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Hey guys at the tint shop i go to they do carry a clear protective sheild for your wind sheild ive also seen it at the LA auto show from what i understood it works great i will try to find out what it is called this weekend when i go get my windows tinted.

Look up GLAS GARD on google i found a spray that you put on that stops a bb gun from chiping the window from like a foot away, although thats not what my tint shop has, but it looks promising
Old 11-13-2003, 10:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wish they had the protector on my windshield. i just a got a rock chip
Old 11-13-2003, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a HUGE chip and crack in the windshield on mine.

Star Shield Armor makes a Clear Bra that saved my paint and lights on the trip to SEMA, Las Vegas.

2nd time I painted the car and the Star Shield saved me this time.
Greatest product ever!

If you don't want chips in the paint or on your lights, we have a special deal for Scion owners through bBist.com

Please contact me if anyone is interested.

Happy Motoring!

-Steve
Old 11-14-2003, 12:21 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
IV ACE

Can I be the first with a new windshield period? I hit a big ___ bird and it left like a 4" circle of cracked glass. I've had so much crap happen this week. First that, plus a flat, plus a police drop car fell on me cuz I was too impatient and didn't wait for 1 car at a time. I did a burn out and it hit my ___. It would've been funnier if I burned out ryt into the guy infront of me. Then I could've replaced my whole front end.
Old 11-23-2003, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

I noticed there is another thread about clear bras, https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...ight=clear+bra But I was wondering if the 3m would be suitable for driving in the snow. We are headed up to Tahoe and I am dreading the sand and the snow. We have friends that took their WRX 3 times last year and it is noticably hammered on the front because of the sand and rocks that are part of the drive. Just wondering what the opinions are on the application and if it truly will make a difference?
Old 12-01-2003, 09:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by George
Today at the local WallyWorld I parked nose-to-nose with another white xB. Even had the same wheel covers! This poor guy had taken a rock hit on the windshield right in front of the driver. Nasty long crack directly across the driver's vision.

I have a feeling that windshield cracks will be an issue with the xB, as it is rather low and has a steep windshield. Not much we can do about it, though, except to leave a bit more room between us and the next car, and avoid the state of Montana.

George
I came back from a road trip to san diego and guess what 3 small chips from one rock.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:26 PM
5 Year Member

I found this site helpful...with pricing for self-instillation....and a zip code search to locate a shop nearby if you don't want to do it yourself.

http://www.xpel.com/products/default.asp

timmpy3

PS No windshield kit yet tho...
Old 09-07-2004, 02:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Stone Chips/Scratches

My wife has driven "The Box" (my xB) about 4 times and ran into curbs twice Last time she jumped out of the car, screaming and crying..."You Love that Car more than you do me!!" I didn't know what to say.... You're right??? Bad move.... I swallowed hard and said "Oh No Honey, it's only a car; I love you way more than that car.... All the time I was thinking ...LIAR, You'll burn in hell for that one!! Two trips to the Body Shop to repair UGLY scrapes big chips along the right front air dam.

So far I'm out close to $1000 just to repair the scrapes and scratches......

I'm looking into taking body repair and auto painting at the local Tech School and doing the repairs myself. Wet sanding, filler, spray painting and clear coating.....anybody tried to "DIY" it? How did it come out?
Doug in PA
Old 09-07-2004, 03:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Talk about reviving an old thread! While I am waiting for my car I found this place on eBay. http://stores.ebay.com/Discount-Clear-Bras Last weekend a friend picked up one for his gti and I 'helped' him put is on. It was hmmm interesting but not too bad. We went real slow and got it on. From what he said it was one of the easier cars to install so I am back thinking I might do the hood myself and have a pro do the bumper depending on how it goes. The eBay place has them pretty cheap so I can afford to try it a few times and still save a bunch o cash.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Re: xB Front end; Bugs, Stone Chips, etc.

Originally Posted by PushyTop
I found that 3M makes an 8mil clear flim for the xB. There's a kit available for the entire front of your xB! I had the kit applied to my lower air dam, front bumper, leading edge of the hood and front fenders and the backs of the mirrors. It's called 'Scotchcal' or Clearguard in it's automotive application. There's also a 40 mil kit for the headlamps and foglights. The film is GREAT! Very much worth the minimal cost. I live in Knoxville, TN and found a local applier using Google and the keywords Scotchcal and Clearguard (if I can find it in Knoxville, TN almost a full year before the car is available here,...). I have a Thundercloud Silver xB, the film is nearly invisible at it's edges, and now my hood, etc. are protected from rocks, bugs, etc.. Now, if they only made something for the windshield!
Man, can I get some of those items? Cuz, just yesterday, I was leaving home and some bicyclists were riding next to me? And I heard a loud bang on the passenger side door. Pulled over and saw 2 little nicks on my door. Man doesn't Cali have street cleaners? Cali gots ta do some cleaning on the roads. Thanks.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:41 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

we are offering great deals on clearguard, check them out at sponsor sale section.
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...134&highlight=

Quick Reply: xB Front end; Bugs, Stone Chips, etc.