Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

xB:My easy clear tail light mod.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 05:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good write up

i was thinking about doing the same thing but color matching the back housing with green. Since using LED lights dont need a back reflective part as long as you get the 30 degree vewing angle
Old 09-11-2006, 05:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DirtyMexican
Simply amazing I have a pw as well and I had the anzo leds, and for some reason i had some serious issues, this is what i would like to do though, my ? is do I need to use that curret sensor loop thing like you did? or can i switch all my bulbs to leds can i use a flasher unit that everyone is speaking of?
ps.
kudos on the 3rd brake light, I have one from a hyandai santa fe and as soon as i educate myself more about leds ill be using that one.
kudos my freind....kudos
Thank you my friend!

If you scroll back through some of my older posts in this thread you'll see the explanation of Scion flasher and why you cannot use a substitute flasher.

If you don't want to modify the flasher's current loop, you can use the ballast resistors. It is all documented in the original writeup. But if you just replace your bulbs with LEDs, it will not work.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kustom_play
good write up

i was thinking about doing the same thing but color matching the back housing with green. Since using LED lights dont need a back reflective part as long as you get the 30 degree vewing angle
Thanks kustom_play!

What you say might be true for some LED bulbs (ones which have all their LEDs facing you). it is not true for the LED bulbs I've used. My LED bulbs have majority of their LEDs around the perimeter. Only 3 are placed on the end. So, they fully use the reflector to direct the light from them towards the lens. That gives me a larger and brighter area of light.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Great write up. Great looking.

A tip for everyone else... Use the LEDs that Peteski recommended I tried a few other and they all either sucked or didn't work at all. the ones he talked about in the first post work great.

Thanks again Peteski.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

I think I just found my next mod!

I will use black tape to match BSP and run white bulbs for the turn signals (hate amber/orange!). Also would like to add white strobes for back up bulbs.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Hey what bout these???

http://spiderlite.com/
Old 09-22-2006, 12:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

looks great nice work
Old 09-22-2006, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The spiderlites may be too wide for the skinny xB tails. I've got a vague recollection that *someone* *somewhere* has done it. It may have been here, it may have been clubxb.com.
Old 09-23-2006, 03:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Spider lites do look bit too wide for xB tail lights. But I suppose anything is possible. It all depends on how much time you want to spend. But I suspect that it would no longer be an "easy clear tail light mod"... :D
Old 09-23-2006, 06:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

The spiderlites come in 5 arm or 3 arm and in 3 different sizes: 4.14", 3.35", and 2.74". Im sure one of those sizes would fit, especially with the red bowl removed. The only bad thing about this is the $$: $35 - $45 each!!!
Old 02-18-2007, 02:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Kind of resurrecting this one.

Anyone ever try to dremel the 'claws' down so they pop out easier? I considered doing this and then using some plastic epoxy to fill in the grey cut outs after reasembly (if cover was loose).

Anyone's thoughts?

BTW, great write up.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:28 AM

Very nice write. Detailed and well written.

Rock
Old 02-19-2007, 08:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the kind words.

I'm not sure how "de-clawing" and then epoxing would work. The lens has a rubber gasket which gets compressed when it is snapped back into place (wor a waterproof seal).

If you just glued the lens back in place it woudln't compress the gasket to make a tight seal. You would end up with water leaking into the lens. But I suppose that if you squeezed the assembly together then glued it and let the glue harden, it might work. But since the side of the tailight is visible when you open the tailgate you have to do a very clean and neat job gluing it back together. Or it'll look like crap.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I did mine today (minus the dremel thing). It worked pretty good. I threw them in the oven for 10 minutes @ 200 degrees. That helped a bunch. I tried to do the whole, flasher sensing loop swap and my multimeter must be on the fritz because it was all over the place when I started to check resistance in the loop and in different pieces of wire. I ended up just grabbing a 6" piece of 18 gauge stranded wire and used it. That was no good (flashed fast). Anyone else done this with solid or stranded wire? If so, what gauge / material / etc were you using. I may also try to get one of the electricians at work to cut me off a piece of wire with resistance of .076 ohms.

Also, anyone added red 194 leds to the rear side markers? If so, does this effect the flasher? I didn't think these flashed with the turn signal, but not real sure.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think the side marker toward the rear is already an LED and I dont think it flashes w/ turn sigs.
You plan on adding more LEDs there? That would be kind of neat to have them flash with the turn sigs.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default ??????????

would you check here and see if this flasher is right for our cars its for leds to correct the fast flashing it doesn't show the pin arrangement for the Toyota one and they also carry most bulbs as well as leds for any thing you want
by the way super job on the DIY

http://autolumination.com/equalizers.htm

P.S. this works better than baking and screwdrivers

not my toes

Old 02-21-2007, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by D_M_A_N
I think the side marker toward the rear is already an LED and I dont think it flashes w/ turn sigs.
You plan on adding more LEDs there? That would be kind of neat to have them flash with the turn sigs.
They are not LED, or at least mine aren't. They are #194 bulbs which you can get in white or amber. Currently I have amber bulbs but would like to put red leds in there and have them flash with my turns.

Cool way of getting the lense off, with butter knives. Did you crack your lense at all? I cracked mine twice before I threw them in the oven, then I got one more small crack after that . . . Thank god these things are cheap on ebay.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Re: ??????????

[quote="sdsnybny"]would you check here and see if this flasher is right for our cars its for leds to correct the fast flashing it doesn't show the pin arrangement for the Toyota one and they also carry most bulbs as well as leds for any thing you want

quote]

Looks like the right one from that angle. I bet it would work. They also have red 194 leds. Thinking about picking both up . . .
Old 02-22-2007, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sdsnybny
would you check here and see if this flasher is right for our cars its for leds to correct the fast flashing it doesn't show the pin arrangement for the Toyota one and they also carry most bulbs as well as leds for any thing you want

P.S. this works better than baking and screwdrivers

Butter knives are excellent idea! Thanks for your input. It should make the lens removal much easier.

I know of no direct replacement flashers that will work in the xB with LED bulbs. If you don't want to modify the stock flasher then use the ballast resistors.

Although the one "For New Toyotas" at the link you posted does look promising. But they don't show its pinout so I can't say for sure.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by peteski
I know of no direct replacement flashers that will work in the xB with LED bulbs. If you don't want to modify the stock flasher then use the ballast resistors.

Although the one "For New Toyotas" at the link you posted does look promising. But they don't show its pinout so I can't say for sure.
I'll let you all know as soon as mine gets here. It ships tomorrow.

Quick Reply: xB:My easy clear tail light mod.