Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Acceleration difference between Manual & Auto

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 03:44 PM
5 Year Member

Default Acceleration difference between Manual & Auto

Hi,

This question is similar to other threads, but just a little different, because if possible, I would more detail.

I want to purchase a ’06 scion xB. I’ve been to several dealers and they only had 04/05 automatics available. It doesn’t look like I’ll have a chance to test drive a manual.

For those of you who’ve driven both, is the manual noticeable more peppy than the auto? I’m must concerned with highway driving, and merging with traffic. It’s hard to imagine that it would be faster, but your input is VERY much appreciated.

Many would mention the “fun factor” of the manual. I have a 6 speed Audi TT, which is my “fun factor” car. I just need something that’s excellent on gas, and can haul a few things.

Thanks,

HB
Old 09-29-2005, 03:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

There is no question that the manual is better. It's way more peppy.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The manual def. feels quicker off the line, and the fact that you have more control over what it is doing at all times is a big plus. But, after you are up in the powerband there's really not much difference unless you are trying to pass someone @ 100 or so.

Even then, with the auto, you can manually kick it out of overdrive, or depending on how fast you're going (below 60) you could drop it down into 2nd.

The hard numbers show the diff between acceleration of the auto and the stick...

Old 09-29-2005, 07:39 PM
5 Year Member

Hey "TxCAMOxB" did you get that info from Scion's website? I looked at the "specs" page and didn't see a comparison listed...
Old 09-29-2005, 07:44 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

GET A 5-SPEED!!!!!!

Feel more in control of the car. Plus a stick is always exciting.

I test drove an auto and bought a 5-speed.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hb_vj
Hey "TxCAMOxB" did you get that info from Scion's website? I looked at the "specs" page and didn't see a comparison listed...
No way. Those are from the 2005 Scion xB tech documents available from that pay-per-view Toyota/Lexus service site (can't recall the name, anyone?)
Old 09-29-2005, 09:30 PM
5 Year Member
Scinergy

It's all about the torque converter vs the clutch. How much HORSEPOWER is being wasted at the torque converter? If you can deal with the clutch, I'd do it. It's madness in stop and go traffic but there are many benefits with having the 5-speed. Think about your upgrades and what will better suit them and you.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If your going to go on the highway much, Id consider the auto over the manual. The auto cruises at 3500 rpm @80 mph vs the manual that (according to others) cruises at 4000 rpm @ 80 mph. With my auto xA, its not the fastest pickup, but I can darn tootin merge with traffic without problems!
Old 09-29-2005, 10:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It really depends on what mods you are wanting. Just pick one and go with it. I have an auto, the wait for a manual at the time was almost 2 months and i couldn't wait that long. My best 1/4 time has been 16.4 at 83mph. On the 1/4 mile thread i posted my time sheet information.

To get 16.4 with the mods i have, i took out the backseat, spare tire, and all of the extra back weight. 16.4 so i've seen is faster than a lot of the manual drivers with N/A. So, thats something to consider. Plus, i have gotten a 1:03:05 at a local autoxcross. Honestly, if you want straight line get the manual. I personally think manually shifting the automatic in autocross is fun as hell. This is my first auto, i used to have a manual. Next car honestly will be another manual, but auto isn't as bad as i thought.

As far as how much quicker the xb's are stock vs. trannys. Not that much. I've seen stock manuals put down 89-95whp on the dyno. I've seen stock automatics put down between 86-91whp on the dyno. Not enough to justify buying a 5speed just for that.

Either way! Good luck!
Cya
Old 09-30-2005, 12:57 AM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

[quote="TxCAMOxB"]
Originally Posted by hb_vj
Those are from the 2005 Scion xB tech documents available from that pay-per-view Toyota/Lexus service site (can't recall the name, anyone?)
Technical Information System or TIS

Available at:

http://techinfo.toyota.com/
Old 09-30-2005, 12:58 AM
Banned

i love stick just auto was better on two herniated discs in the lower back
Old 09-30-2005, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

I didn't want to wait for the stick either, but am pretty happy with the auto. It is not too fast of the line, but has a lot of pep once you get going.

I have an axle back exhaust and a short ram intake and it sounds great when I wind it up.

Good luck.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:54 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

automatic less peppy but better on gas mileage ! It's geared differently for a lower rpm @ highway speeds . ie; You got to choose.......

I got the 5 speed !! Shifting is more fun.......sport u,,,,v......!
Old 09-30-2005, 03:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it always makes me when I hear an automatic transmission matched with an aftermarket exhaust.... it just aint right
Old 10-02-2005, 11:48 PM
5 Year Member

I have one of each (both '06s).

The auto is not that far off from the stick in terms of pep. You'll feel it dragging a little when the A/C is on but then most any small I-4 auto trans car will be that way as well.

The XBs' power delivery gives most of its effort in the midrange rather than top-end, so any part-throttle driving/passing will feel quite lively. The XB doesn't drive like a Honda Civic where you need to keep the rubber band stretched to make power (and a 5th gear-overtake on the highway can be nearly impossible).

The auto trans shifts well and at good shift points. It also runs a lot lower RPM on the highway (a good 6-800 less than the stick @ 70-80MPH).

I love driving a stick but honestly if I had to do it over again I'd get 2 automatic XBs rather than one of each. The difference in performance is there but it's not so much as to ruin the fun.

-Trevor
Old 10-03-2005, 05:58 AM
5 Year Member

I bought a manual just because it's less boring to drive and it was $800 or so cheaper, plus it does get off the line a bit quicker which comes in handy if you have to make a quick turn. Not that driving an automatic is boring, it's just that my first car was an auto and I decided I wanted something different for my 2nd.

Another thing to consider is MPG. I think the manual is capable if getting better gas mileage in the city but I don't shift in the lower rpm range to really take advantage of it. If you are mainly driving at high speeds, the auto might be better.

If only someone could make a 6 speed gearbox for the xB, it would be a no brainer in that case.

-Tim
Old 12-28-2005, 05:43 PM
5 Year Member

I just got a 2006 manual xB, and that's the one thing that I would change about it, is that the RPM's are so high (4000 @ 80mph for me) that it feels like the thing is just screaming sometimes.

But I figure these things are built to rev at high rpm's for sustained periods without overheating/causing engine damage.

Any studies/experience with xB's frying because of long road trips at high speed/rmp's ?
Old 12-29-2005, 02:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I drove both auto and manual xB's several times before deciding on the auto. That's because I do a fair amount of highway driving, and the bottom line is, the auto is the better highway cruiser. At 70mph, it's turning less than 3k rpm, which makes for a quieter ride. Plus it's rated at slightly better mpg than the 5spd on the highway......or so they say.

Merging is really not an issue either. The auto Box is as quick as most "average" vehilces.

Honestly, from the seat-of-the-pants driving, I didn't notice a significant difference in acceleration between the auto and the manual. There's only so much you can do with a 100hp either way.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

those numbers posted above are way wrong.

the difference between auto and manual are NIGHT and DAY
Old 12-29-2005, 07:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The original poster said he owns a six speed car already (for the "fun factor") and was looking at which xB would be good on the highway, and good on gas mileage.... If that's the case, all signs point to AUTO.

-THE DON

Quick Reply: Acceleration difference between Manual & Auto