First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

AIRBOX MOD

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 12:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default AIRBOX MOD

Sorry, no pics but check it out.

After looking into a lot of Cold Air Intakes, etc. I thought I'd try modifying the stock box on my xA before spending any money. If you actually look inside the air box there is a pretty good straight pipe with all of the lengths added up being just about identical to the "short" intakes you can purchase. Also, with just about the same amount of bends.

Here's what I did....

1. Remove the snorkel from the bottom of the airbox. You won't be using it any more.

2. Remove all of the connectors from the top of the airbox.

3. Loosen the clamps and remove the Throttle body duct from the top of the airbox.

4. Remove the top of the airbox.

5. Remove the MAF sensor from the airbox just for safety. BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO DAMAGE THE SENSOR - VERY EXPENSIVE.

6. Inside of the airbox is an extension tube assembly that snaps into place. Pop this out of the top of the airbox.

7. On the end of the airbox extension tube is a screen. Set the extension tube on top of your work bench with the screen facing up.

8. Tap the center of the screen with a hammer. The screen will easily crack and come out in 1 piece.

9. Clean up the edges with a razor knife. DON'T HURT YOURSELF.

10. Snap the Extension tube back ito the top of the airbox.

11. Remove the bottom of the airbox from the car.

12. Using a 2 or 2 1/2" hole saw, Drill a large hole in the rear and both sides of the bottom half of the box. Do not drill holes in the bottom, it will weaken the bottom box too much.

13. Re-install everything. Double check that everything is tight.

The idea here was to let as much air as possible through to the filter with no restriction whatsoever. Removing the screen from the air intake tube gets rid of further restriction after the filter.

The next step will be a K&N filter, but much later.

Once you are done, it will feel much smoother and snappier and have a nice growl to it. The intake is now almost as throaty as my Borla exhaust, sweet!.....and it still looks stock.

Don't blame me if you don't like it when you're done. I love mine, but I can't be responsible for anyone elses likes or dislikes. It's just a good FREE MOD in my opinion.

I could have spent $180-320 for a whopping 3-5 horsepower but elected to save the money for a nice future tint job. I'd be willing to bet that the power increase is almost on par with the bought systems. If you were going to go cold air intake, I'd try this first. Why not!

Johncal
Old 08-06-2005, 12:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

i've done the same thing, but i did not put the tube back into the airbox, then i flipped it over(the hole upper portion of the airbox), and zip tied the filter to the box. although it may sound ghetto it works really well, and of course it is only temperary. i'd show you the pics but i don't know how to post them, sorry
Old 08-06-2005, 12:53 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The reason I put the tube back into the Airbox was to maximize and straighten the air flow as much as possible to enhance the airs momentum and speed. This momentum and speed actually aids in packing more air into the cylinders. Anyways that's part of the theory behind the cold air intakes. Actually, the factory airbox IS a "relatively" cold air intake, it's just that it's compromised to keep the sound levels way down.

Johncal
Old 08-06-2005, 01:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Nice write-up Johncal.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Great job, thanks for the write up.