Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

any1 got a remote starter installed on the box?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 10:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member

Originally Posted by D_M_A_N
I've seen what some of you guys said you got yours for... so this is for everyone.

How much did you pay for it, or how much were you quoted?
Remote start with or without a pager?
I think mine was right around 400...
Old 10-27-2006, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

viper 791 best thing ever..... $400 installed remote 4 window up and down, hatch pop, undercarrige led's on off, it even makes toast!
Old 10-28-2006, 12:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mine is a 5 speed also and i have 2 little ones
i dont live in extremly low temp but it is very nice to come out to a warm car with a 3 yr old and a 1 week old

the 791 is awesome
people think the remote is a cellphone
Old 10-28-2006, 01:57 AM
5 Year Member

I have one, and love it! Get it if you get ice on your windshield during the winter. Simply defrost...before you even get out of the house, and the car is toasty and ready to go when you get in.
Old 10-28-2006, 05:43 PM
Banned
SL Member

I have had 2 different remote starters on my box. Its an auto tranny btw.

I first had the Bulldog RS40 ( i believe ). I had it removed about 3 months ago and replaced with an AutoPage unit.

The Bulldog was a great unit. I never had a problem with it, and it never gave me fits. But it was just that, a remote start. I could remote start it with my factory key fob from Scion! The GF liked it so much that i bought her one ( $40 off Ebay ) and installed hers too. I had posted it for sale quite a few times, but no one wanted it. I only wanted $25 for it too. I just ended up giving it to another NRG member last weekend, for nada. =P

The AutoPage i had installed works great. Not only do i have a really nice car alarm now, but the remote start works great, and from a further distance. Basically its the same as the Viper. I had mine installed by SmartAss out of Philly, the guy with the primer black box with suicide doors. The unit and installation was $400. Some of the best money spent.

You can program the unit to start at a specific time .... temp ... or you can start it manually. It runs for 20 minutes and has a count down on the remote to show that it is running and how many minutes you have left. There are so many other options on this unit that it scares me.

BTW ... from what i have been told, these engines are nothing like the older GM engine where pre-starting is such a bad thing. While you start your box and the little blue icon shows up .. your oil pressure runs around 90 PSI. When it warms up it goes to around 40PSI. Weither your driving or idling really doesnt matter to the engine ... now your fuel tank, thats a different story. IMO ill pay a little more in fuel useage to not have to sit in a cold car and grab a freezing steering wheel.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by fokusco
$50 says that pooder is a Democrat.
And that conclusion is based on . . . ????

I *love* this group! Some of the ideas are great and some are hilarious!!

BTW, fokusco, you owe me 50 bux. You can donate it to your favorite charity in my name . . . .
Old 10-29-2006, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can make it to the Foundation of D_M_A_N's xB Ride Pimpin a box fund.
:D
Old 10-29-2006, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Location: 'Burbs Farmington Hills - go to school in Boulder, CO

a local store is offering a

-code alarm remote car starter
w/ 2 button icon remote, anti grind circut (and parking lot flash... duh)

for only 99 installed. any good? skip it? I AM IN HIGH SCHOOL I CANNOT AFFORD A 500 DOLLAR ANYTHING btw.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The installers over at Sounddomain.com recommend staying away from "Code Alarm" products.

I have no experience with them myself.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Location: 'Burbs Farmington Hills - go to school in Boulder, CO

anyone else got info on code alarm?
Old 10-31-2006, 01:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bought a hornet alarm which allows me to lock/unlock all the doors, start and even turn off the car. I had it installed in january and it's been working flawlessly! I still keep the scion "remote entry" control on my keychain but I just dont use it. It's awesome when I'm walking up to the parking garage where I park it and turn it on. When I get to it like a minute, minute and a half later, it's pretty much ready to go (it's not that cold here yet)...

The thing works awesome. I've heard of hornet before but I always thought it was some junk generic piece of hardware. I think the makers of the Viper alarm system are the same ones that make the Hornet setup I have. regardless, it's an excellent piece.

I got the alarm + installation for $320 at a local place here in queens, NYC. Installation took about an hour and I was good to go from there.
- sh00k
Old 11-01-2006, 12:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I 2nd the staying away from Code Products. I work in a aftermarket car shop (Everything from tint to body kits to racing stripes and more) and we use to install Code exclusively. For the most part they are ok. But if you have a problem or need to warranty anything, they screw you. Im pretty sure that GM uses Code stuff for their factory stuff. A lot of their remotes look a lot like factory GM remotes.

I had a Omega Max-E installed in my 06 xB. Actually it was just last wednesday. I got the extended range lcd display remote thingamagig too. Range is good. Can start inside buildings, of course the more distance the less chance of having a good signal decreases.

Having it in florida is nice because of the 9 month summers we have in this wonderful state filled to the max with old people and the worst humidity on earth.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had a freind that got the remote start installed in His truck. The only thing is that he had a Manual transmission. One day he forgot to take his shftt gear out of first, his kid was playing with his transmitter, and the truck tried to start, but kept hitting the wall becuase the transmission was in gear. I gueaa the gut that installed for him forgot to connect or install the clutch bypass switch.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

2 years with one. Not one complaint and works great in the winter and in the summer when it's blazing outside and you have leather seats, hehe. The range on mine is crazy far.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:57 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by BrianxB
I bought my 791xvr for 170 bucks and put it in myself. Im an installer though.

Using it in the winter causes me to lose about 20 miles per tank of gas letting it warm up.

My car is also a 5 speed.
you must work for a electronics retailer like best buy
Old 11-02-2006, 01:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

I gave 375 installed for my alarm, they can't do remote start on a stick, because it requires cutting out a sensor that tells the engine the clutch is in