Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Armrested development

hey everybody,
my first post. Im getting a camo xB from vandergriff toyota here in arlington TX.
it seems like i've been waiting forever, and i had to do a dealer trade cause they said there was only one manual camo xb in the five state area, and it was supposed to get in this weekend. well, i just got a call from the salesman, and they said, "great news!" (of course). it turns out that the xb that i signed papers for was sold in the interim. but they had another just like it at the same dealer, so they went ahead an sent that one up, and its in today. but.....it has the armrest installed.
i said, "great! take off the armrest and ill be down to pick it up tommorow"
he says, so he says, "sorry, cant take it off"
"its physically impossible to remove it?", i say.
"nonono....we're not allowed to at scion, it's policy. i thought you wanted to buy this."
"i do, but i dont want an armrest" (not entirely true, i want one, i just dont want to spend $125 for it)
"well, do you want me to sell this one and order you a stock one?"
"lemme call you back" i don't want to wait any longer, sharing a car with my wife for the past 2 weeks has been kinda inconvenient since we work on opposite sides of town.
so my questions are:
How do i convince the dealership to take off the armrest and its associated cost?
and....I do want the armrest eventually, do you guys think the one they sell at the dealership is any good, and would you pay a premium for it so that you dont have to wait for an undetermined amount of time while sharing a car?

(I wont post novels anymore, i swear)
Old 07-30-2005, 02:26 AM
Banned
SL Member

seriously what is the big deal just go buy it!
Old 07-30-2005, 02:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tell the dealer to go "F" themselves and go to another dealer. They are simply trying to strong arm you into something you don't want because they know you are in a rush to get the car.

There are people online (Cars direct I think) who will sell you a car and save you all the BS.

I hate lame dealership sales people like that. Go over his head and speak to the sales manager.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

when i said that i knew for a fact that they could take off accesories (cause ive read it on here) he did the, "just a second" thing and put me on hold for about 5 minutes before coming back on and saying "sorry".
do you think he was just f'in around and didnt talk to anyone?
or do you think the sales manager would be the one saying "shove an accesory down his throat"?
Old 07-30-2005, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

My dealer has the same policy. My xB came with several port-installed options including the 6-disc changer which I didn't want. They told me that if an option is listed on the window sticker that they cannot remove it. They can add options but not take off.

IMHO, the armrest is no biggie. I added one and like it. I say suck it up and go buy it!!!
Old 07-30-2005, 02:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

they don't take off accessories if the car was ordered with them. just get it. 125 over 4 years is like a few bucks a month.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

yeah, i prolly will get it.
is the armrest thats port installed any good?
i notice that there are several aftermarket armrests for this car, who has experience with this one compared to others?
Old 07-30-2005, 02:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

i like th oem armrest the most because it's fabric is a perfect match to the interior unlike every other armrest on the market.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:18 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

they tried the same thing with me, although my case involves floor mats and the cargo net... i refused any accessories, they refused to remove any accessories.. even the ____in floor mats... and i was already doing them a favor and buying an 04... true they gave me a decent break... i couldnt believe that they refused to "uninstall" the floor mates.. so i offered to uninstall them myself, they declined so i walked out... the next day i got a call, "the floor mats and cargo have been uninstalled.." went in a signed the papers...

if you dont want it, they cant force it on you... true its not like its a $1000 or anything but the fact is you are buying something, and you should have full control over what you get...
Old 07-30-2005, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
i like th oem armrest the most because it's fabric is a perfect match to the interior unlike every other armrest on the market.
For $130 my dealership ordered the Boomerang armrest for my 05 BOP xB. Installed it myself, takes less than a few minutes and two screws. Simple! And, I think it looks better than the OEM. You get double-sleeve CD storage for 32 CDs and a storage pocket, and a padded armrest to top it off.

Btw just buy the car. You're lucky to get a Camo. Seems to be the most difficult color to find besides BCP.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Can they knock the price of added accessories down a little bit? I know the Scion itself has a set price but I was under the assumption that you could talk them down on accessories.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

where can i get this and how much???
Old 07-30-2005, 07:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you really want the camo box now then I would just suck it up and get it. But if yu can hold out a little longer and camo is not a gotta have color, then I would call their bluff. I had teh OEM armrest and it is OK. You can get them for $70.00 all day long online. Would I pay $125.00 for it? Probably not. I now have the Zeta armrest with storage now and it is hands down a much better product, although about twice the price of the OEM...

Let us know what you do. Also keep in mind that an 05 is already going to depriciated more than an 06 if you can wait.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I ended up having to wait 3 weeks because I didn't want a spoiler.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The first dealship I went to when searching for an RS 2.0 refused to take off some fancy (and nasty) 18" wheels (which added $2000 to the base price). So I went somewhere else and bought my car there.

Boy, did they make a mistake.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Armrested development

Originally Posted by Iptuous
hey everybody,
my first post. Im getting a camo xB from vandergriff toyota here in arlington TX.
it seems like i've been waiting forever, and i had to do a dealer trade cause they said there was only one manual camo xb in the five state area, and it was supposed to get in this weekend. well, i just got a call from the salesman, and they said, "great news!" (of course). it turns out that the xb that i signed papers for was sold in the interim. but they had another just like it at the same dealer, so they went ahead an sent that one up, and its in today. but.....it has the armrest installed.
i said, "great! take off the armrest and ill be down to pick it up tommorow"
he says, so he says, "sorry, cant take it off"
"its physically impossible to remove it?", i say.
"nonono....we're not allowed to at scion, it's policy. i thought you wanted to buy this."
"i do, but i dont want an armrest" (not entirely true, i want one, i just dont want to spend $125 for it)
"well, do you want me to sell this one and order you a stock one?"
"lemme call you back" i don't want to wait any longer, sharing a car with my wife for the past 2 weeks has been kinda inconvenient since we work on opposite sides of town.
so my questions are:
How do i convince the dealership to take off the armrest and its associated cost?
and....I do want the armrest eventually, do you guys think the one they sell at the dealership is any good, and would you pay a premium for it so that you dont have to wait for an undetermined amount of time while sharing a car?

(I wont post novels anymore, i swear)
I'd say - "well, since you sold the car I was supposed to buy, what can you do for me? You messed up and there are several other dealerships in the Metroplex that would love to have my business... Scion of Irving comes to mind..."

My wife told a car salesman to remove a small spoiler from a car we were buying when he gave her a bunch of crap over it; he finally said "forget it - it's yours."
Old 07-30-2005, 09:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would threaten to walk, or make the dealer eat the $125 accessory. It's close to the end of the month, they should be eager work a deal. Don't give in. Trust me my dad sold cars for years. I know how dealers operate.
Old 07-31-2005, 01:50 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default How about split the diff on the armrest i mean please make a

Deal G show your stuff. I really would reconsider the camo one dealer here has had camo on there lot two weeks and scratches easy. Most xbs dont stay on the lots long how bout the new red might be cool.
Old 07-31-2005, 04:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by aireck
where can i get this and how much???
newscionparts , sparksparts , mcgeorge parts , and ebay has em for like 79.99 plus shipping so like 85 or so.
Old 07-31-2005, 04:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by wylietc
I would threaten to walk, or make the dealer eat the $125 accessory. It's close to the end of the month, they should be eager work a deal. Don't give in. Trust me my dad sold cars for years. I know how dealers operate.
ummmmmm scion doesnt work like that. trust.....

Quick Reply: Armrested development