Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Auto tranny problems and fluctuating idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 12:04 PM
5 Year Member

Default Auto tranny problems and fluctuating idle

Hi all
I've got an o5 xB w/ about 9000 mostly highway miles. I searched for the tranny problem stuuf but not the idle problem.

I was wondering if anyone else is having issues with the auto tranny. I'm taking it to a dealer on monday and was hoping to go with a little more knowledge.

Here's my problems; recently the tranny has had a lot of trouble downshifting to maintain speed on slight hills (this never used to be a problem). The other night the tranny when in drive just revved after we pulled out of a parking lot (it was like it was put in neautral). I rolled to a stop put it in park, then back to drive and it was fine. Lastly, one time after going up a short but steep hill the car would not up shift after cresting the hill and was revving really high until I came to a stop light, then it was fine.

I keep the car with the overdrive on (light off) due to my mostly highway miles. The car was fine before this point so what is happening now is definitely a problem.

My second problem: after I've been driving for a while and come to a stop the engine idle fluctuates up and down about 200rpms. xB is stock.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It sounds like the idle problem is possible linked to running too lean or too rich. Does it do this all the time? I know that in the summer this will occur occasionally, but if this is a constant thing then its something that should be lookd at.

As for the putting it in Drive issue, sounds to me for some reason the tranny didn't go into gear. All these problems can be linked to the ECU, i'm not really sure what else it could be but it all sounds like ECU problem to me.

Also, down shifting going up a hill is normal. Sometimes it this will happen, to get it to down shift while going up a hill put less pressure on the gas for a moment then put more gas down on it. This will tell the computer you need more power and will shift.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As far as the first part about the tranny "revving" until you stopped and put it in drive, was the car cold or had it been sitting for a little while?

I've noticed in the xB/xA if the car has sat for a little while, is started and immediately put into reverse or drive, the transmission will not fully lock into gear. But, after a few seconds it will catch up and lock after it's warmed up a little.
Doesn't seem like a major problem, just give the car a few seconds to warm up if it has sat for awhile, then put it into gear.

As far as the other stuff, I have no idea........
Old 01-27-2006, 01:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by t2BDetermined
As far as the first part about the tranny "revving" until you stopped and put it in drive, was the car cold or had it been sitting for a little while?

I've noticed in the xB/xA if the car has sat for a little while, is started and immediately put into reverse or drive, the transmission will not fully lock into gear. But, after a few seconds it will catch up and lock after it's warmed up a little.
Doesn't seem like a major problem, just give the car a few seconds to warm up if it has sat for awhile, then put it into gear.

As far as the other stuff, I have no idea........
In other words, i believe hes talking about if the motor is cold (idiot blue light since we don't have a temp gauge) it won't shift out of 3rd. The reason is so the motor can warm up faster, but i personally let my car warm up all the way prior to leaving. Thats just me though.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh....now I'm confused.....

I wasn't referring to the engine revving real high when first driving (while the engine is cold) and not shifting up into the next gear. That's simply the car trying to warm itself up and not lug the tranny when its cold.

I was originally referring to simply walking outside (after the car has been sitting for awhile) getting in the car, starting it and putting it immediately into reverse or drive. Sometimes it will seem like the gear isn't fully engaged and act like it's half in neutral and half in drive/reverse. THIS problem I have experienced, but it's nothing that can't be solved by letting the car warmup for a few seconds before you put it in reverse or drive.

I hope I'm not confusing anyone. These are two totally different types of issues, but both are related to the engine/tranny not being warmed up........

Am I helping or dragging this post into the mud here........hmmmmmm, oh well.....it's helping to maintain my typing skills!
Old 01-27-2006, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by t2BDetermined
Oh....now I'm confused.....

I wasn't referring to the engine revving real high when first driving (while the engine is cold) and not shifting up into the next gear. That's simply the car trying to warm itself up and not lug the tranny when its cold.

I was originally referring to simply walking outside (after the car has been sitting for awhile) getting in the car, starting it and putting it immediately into reverse or drive. Sometimes it will seem like the gear isn't fully engaged and act like it's half in neutral and half in drive/reverse. THIS problem I have experienced, but it's nothing that can't be solved by letting the car warmup for a few seconds before you put it in reverse or drive.

I hope I'm not confusing anyone. These are two totally different types of issues, but both are related to the engine/tranny not being warmed up........

Am I helping or dragging this post into the mud here........hmmmmmm, oh well.....it's helping to maintain my typing skills!
I'm following exactly what you are saying. I agree its not the tranny being slow to shift while the blue light is on. I've experienced that many times, and that's how its supposed to be.

In this case, we got in the car, started it, sat there for a minute while getting the seatbelts on etc. then drove around the back of the parking lot, sat at the driveway waiting for traffic then pulled out onto the road. We pulled out just fine but when giving it gas to continue up the road the tranny didn't respond. The engine revved but no power at all was going to the wheels. We literally had to roll to the side of the road with no power getting to the wheels. Maybe that helps make the one situation a little clearer.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh....

Well, that definitely is not normal. I've never experienced that at all, except like I said, by putting an xA/xB into drive or reverse too quickly after starting. I would take it to the dealer to have it checked then......hopefully you don't get the "unable to replicate" line.

Has it happened since?

Hope everything works out and it's nothing major!
Old 01-27-2006, 02:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i notice in the cold weather, when i leave work and start to drive up a mile long hill , mine has trouble shifting into 4th gear, it's reving up into 4K and plus ; it's real annoying and from what I read ... this should be solved if I let the car warm up?

i've not worked at this location during the warmmer months, but i did have the same problems shifting into the final gear at times. is that the original TRANNY problem people talk about?

I thought the only TRANNY problem people had was on Halloween when old movie theatres show the ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW!
Old 01-27-2006, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I haven't had this problem with my xB, but I did have the EXACT same thing happen to me while driving my '04 Tacoma (car felt as if it had popped into nuetral, engine reving with the gas pedal, but no power to the wheels).

It only happened once, and I have no idea what caused it.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by coasterclown
i notice in the cold weather, when i leave work and start to drive up a mile long hill , mine has trouble shifting into 4th gear, it's reving up into 4K and plus ; it's real annoying and from what I read ... this should be solved if I let the car warm up?

i've not worked at this location during the warmmer months, but i did have the same problems shifting into the final gear at times. is that the original TRANNY problem people talk about?

I thought the only TRANNY problem people had was on Halloween when old movie theatres show the ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW!
This is perfectly normal. The car is preventing itself from lugging the engine/tranny while the car is cold. I'm assuming after the "blue" temp light goes off, everything is fine?

My Tacoma does the same thing.....it's pretty hair-raising pulling out of work. It goes into 2nd gear, revs up to about 3100 rpm and then.........BOOOM! Down into third. Oh well.....I guess they do that for a reason!
Old 01-27-2006, 03:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Maybe somewhat off topic here and I don't even have an xB... yet
But I've noticed on two of my cars in the past when the temperature is down in the 30's some auto trans tend to hesitate a second or two prior to engaging. The colder it is the more it is noticeable. Ford products seem especially prone to this (Bronco II and E100 Cargo van are the two I've had experience with). In this case I would tend to think it is an ECU/Trans sensor issue best solved by a trip to the dealer for diagnostics.

This is assuming the trans fluid is correct and no leakage has occurred. In cars a year or two old the trans fluid level should be fine. That is unless a service person forgot to replenish the fluid after service. This has happened to me and completely ruined a manual transmission but Low fluid on an auto trans would be immediately evident, I would think, because the vehicle would not move at all. Um getting more off topic here.

As far as warm up, the general recommendation these days is to idle only 15-20 secs before driving off, then drive moderately for the first 2-3 minutes. After 2-3 minutes the internal engine parts will be sufficiently warm with oil flowing adequately to sustain spirited driving, within reason of course. An extended warm-up of 5-10 minutes is recommended to be unnecessary and is mostly just wasting gas... unless the objective is to pre-warm the interior in extremely cold weather.

The reason the auto trans won't go in to fourth gear when it's cold is because there is a thermostatically controlled switch that only switches closed after the fluid gets up to a certain temperature. I think this has been mentioned earlier here.
Old 01-28-2006, 06:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah i let my wifes xb warm up usually so it will shift better and i just feel better driving it when its warm.

I have noticed that sometimes when its cold and i first start the car and go to put into reverse from park it kind of sticks and doesnt go into reverse as easy, but the only times its been noticable really is when im parked on a inverse like at my mother in laws. hope you get your problem fixed
Old 01-28-2006, 03:43 PM
5 Year Member

Some of these items are normal, And previous responses are correct. But you might want to have the dealer check it out.
Old 01-29-2006, 03:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

If the problem doesn't repeat, maybe it wasn't fully in Drive. Or the shifter got bumped into neutral. That might explain why it wouldn't do it again.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, if it won't do it again might not come back at all. Still the dealer check could be helpful if you can stomach it. Personally I hate'em as a rule, just too many bad experiences over the years (sorry dealer guys) but they are the only resource for warranty work.

I know Honda has been very good to me for warranty work and I suspect Toyota will be as good or better.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

My box revs high climbing hills and locks into third gear (auto tranny as well) and it's perfectly normal...The xA's and xB's are designed to do this to hold the gear to prevent the tranny from going from gear to gear as your speed variates...It's basically to spare some life on the tranny I assume...

As for the idle fluctuating...My box also fluctuates at a stop and I have a ground kit installed to help stop it as well...Depending on where I fill up for gas dictates when it does it as well as the outside temperature...In colder temperatures it doesn't do it at all, while on hot days it might...I've also heard though that this idle issue is completely normal with our cars as well...

DAN
Old 01-30-2006, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks for all the reply's. The box is at the dealer right now. I fully suspect them to tell me they can't find a problem but I want it documented so if I do ever have an issue in the future it will be noted as an existing problem.

Just a few notes when the tranny acted as in neutral I jiggled the shifter to make sure it was in drive and then put it into 2 just to be really sure and it still didn't help. The only way to get it moving was to put it in park then back to drive.

It seems odd that all these items would be normal but then again maybe they are. I guess time will tell. I'll post back if the dealer finds anything wrong.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

That'll work. Keep us updated Bro.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:38 AM
5 Year Member

As expected the dealer didn't find anything wrong with the trans or the idle. They did tell me that my trans problem was caused because I have aftermarket floor mats. (I have those cheapy clear plastic mats over my Scion mats). They said that the aftermarket mats were not allowing the gas pedal to have its full range and when they removed the mats there was no problem. (there was no problem because it is very intermittant, and its been fine since last week, which i told them.)

I told them that the floor mat was not what cause zero power to get from the revving engine to the wheels and they agreed and then quickly said its a computer comtrolled trans so the problem was just a computer glitch. At least I got a good laugh to myself about the floor mat controlled transmission.

Oh well, I guess I just drive it and hope it doesn't happen again. Time will tell.