Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

auto trans flush

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 06:06 PM
5 Year Member

Default auto trans flush

I own a black 2006 scion xb auto, it has now 19,350 miles.
i bought the car new in 2006.
i checked in the maintence book that came with the scion xb, and i see no mention of
what mileage that i should change the auto trans fluid.
in a two weeks its due for its next oil change, should i have a
trans flush?
can anyone show me the actual maintence schedule of having a trans flush
on a auto transmission?

My previous oil change, i was told that the xb needed the fuel injection to be cleaned as well.
what is the recommended mileage schedule does the fuel injection need to be cleaned?
Old 01-18-2009, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wherever you are taking it to get oil changes will probably try and sell you blinker fluid if you'll let them. that's why you're better off doing your maintenance yourself so you know it's done right and not have to worry about the hassle of dealing with other people possibly messing up your vehicle and trying to swindle you.

the 30k mile mark is a good time to flush and refill your tranny fluid. i just did mine in my manual box. no you don't need your fuel injection specially cleaned with whatever they are selling either. use a quality synthetic oil in your engine and keep using top tier gasoline (chevron, shell, etc.). keep up to date on all maintenance per the manual and you are good to go.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:47 PM
Banned
SL Member

The higher octane will not stop or prevent your injectors from crudding up. Stick with the 87 octane like your manual says. You can pick up some injector cleaner at any store. Even Wally World carries the stuff. I just cleaned mine after 70K+ miles and it smooth out the idle a little. Follow the diretions on the bottle as your 1st gen has an 11.5 gallon tank.

The Auto Tranny should be fine well into the 100K mile mark for normal every day driving. If your towing a boat, then it will need to be changed more frequently.

I do agree, doing the oil change yourself you know exactly what is going into your car. Its cheaper ( if you stick with dino oil ) and isnt that hard to do.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Just a plain o' trans drain and fill is good enough, considering you have low miles on it.

Btw, you don't need to WASTE money on synthetic garbage. Regular motor oil has been working just fine for years now!
Old 01-19-2009, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CBSIMONSEZ
The higher octane will not stop or prevent your injectors from crudding up. Stick with the 87 octane like your manual says.
He said to use top companies not premium gas... he means dont use bobs fill up... lol
Old 01-19-2009, 01:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

19 k is waaaaay too early to consider fushing the trans IMHO
I have a 5 speed...but my ford with an automatic..suggest a trans flush/or service at 75K
Old 01-20-2009, 01:48 AM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by itlstl13
The higher octane will not stop or prevent your injectors from crudding up. Stick with the 87 octane like your manual says.
He said to use top companies not premium gas... he means dont use bobs fill up... lol
So here is another popular misconception. Bobs filler'up gets his fuel from the same refinery that the big guys get theirs from.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:03 AM
SL Member

i got my trans flushed at 30k
Old 01-22-2009, 02:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Never flush your auto tranny. It stirs things up and causes problems. When you hit 25K just drain and refill, then every 25K after that. Use the recomended Tech IV Toyota fluid.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bB2NER
Never flush your auto tranny. It stirs things up and causes problems. When you hit 25K just drain and refill, then every 25K after that. Use the recomended Tech IV Toyota fluid.
Like he said, never flush your transmission or your motor. Like someone else said, you don't need to change your transmission fluid for a very long time, unless you're one of those paranoid people and will go crazy if you don't.

Did you by any chance see that post on here about Jiffy lube talking people into getting the transmission and motor flushed? Eventually it blew the motor and/or the transmission a couple or few months down the road.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There you go, found it for you. Clicky clicky. http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/lo...hservices.html
Old 01-25-2009, 02:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my terminology is incorrect here. when i said "flush" and refill. i simply meant DRAIN the old, FILL with new.

Like said above ^ DO NOT FLUSH the tranny with any sort of flushing device or chemicals.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by itlstl13
So here is another popular misconception. Bobs filler'up gets his fuel from the same refinery that the big guys get theirs from.
The additives are different though. I've learned the hard way not to use the cheaper brands. The cheap brands will cause carbon buildup fast. I ended up carbing up an older car that ended up on premium just so it wouldn't knock. I got it back to regular after a seafoam treatment and sticking to better gasoline. So you end up paying more than you realize using Earl or Bob's gas stations.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

X2 on the Seafoam! Great Stuff!!!
Old 04-23-2009, 01:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was surprised to hear tranny flush is a bad thing. Ok, I watched the video about Jiffy Lube and major auto makers are against it. BUT, nearby dealers, Honda and Toyota (Scion) are both promoting auto tranny flush. They promote auto tranny, brake fluid, power steering fluid and coolant flush every time I stop by there. If auto tranny flush is a bad thing, how can dealers promote it? They are not Jiffy Lube and should get a direct instruction from Honda or Toyota HQ... Am I missing something here?

My 2004 xA now has 46Kmiles without a tranny service (my bad!) and I am wondering what I should do.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

I bet they only promo it for after the warranty is over.
But, yeah, they will promote anything they can that would make them money and sell more cars.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, I totally understand how they oeprate but if the tranny flush is a bad thing then how can I replace the old fluid inside the torque converter? If I drain tranny fluid from the pan, we are talking about 3 to 4 qts. I believe about the same amount remains inside the torque converter. Isn't it like mixing new fluid with old? We don't (at least I don't) do that on engine. We don't stop draining old oil in the middle and add new one to it.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

You don't need to drain the converter. It only needs whatever is in the pan changed. If you must change ALL the fluid you could go oldschool on it and change ALL the fluid thru running the engine with the trans lines disconnected. One to draw in the fresh fluid as you pump out all the old thru the other. You are gonna need a lot of fluid for that.
Honestly tho, If you just drain and refill every 30K you will be fine for 300K miles.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What is size of the tranny oil pan drain plug washer? Nearby dealer told me $6.95 each for an alminum washer! It is insane. I think I can find a replacement as long as I know the size. Thank you.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just did a drain and replace at the dealership. WOW $85 for my 5speed and an auto cost $155 there (they use more fluid). Its recomended for 30k miles I only had 27k. Lucky for me I had a discount card it ended up costing me $73 and they lubbed up the shifter and it feel much less notchy. $73 is alot of money for 2qts of gear oil! I just feel better letting them do it for warranty sake.

Quick Reply: auto trans flush