auto trans flush

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
IV ACE

Originally Posted by bB2NER
Never flush your auto tranny. It stirs things up and causes problems. When you hit 25K just drain and refill, then every 25K after that. Use the recomended Tech IV Toyota fluid.
Actually if you think about it "drain and refilling" stirs up the "dirt". Thats why you should flush the fluid out properly.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
IV ACE

You don't need to drain the converter. It only needs whatever is in the pan changed. If you must change ALL the fluid you could go oldschool on it and change ALL the fluid thru running the engine with the trans lines disconnected. One to draw in the fresh fluid as you pump out all the old thru the other. You are gonna need a lot of fluid for that.
Honestly tho, If you just drain and refill every 30K you will be fine for 300K miles.
This is exactly what you're doing when you flush your transmission fluid properly.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by bB384
You don't need to drain the converter. It only needs whatever is in the pan changed. If you must change ALL the fluid you could go oldschool on it and change ALL the fluid thru running the engine with the trans lines disconnected. One to draw in the fresh fluid as you pump out all the old thru the other. You are gonna need a lot of fluid for that.
Honestly tho, If you just drain and refill every 30K you will be fine for 300K miles.
This is exactly what you're doing when you flush your transmission fluid properly.
We're not talking this method. I thought we were talking about a machine flush which is a big no no.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

the dealer "cycles" or "pumps" the old stuff out and puts in new stuff...

had a nice long convo with the dealer service guy, he even opened the door and pointed out the machine while my car was getting it done. (i was skeptical at first)

expensive.. like 150 bucks...

Also.. manual does say to change at 30k.. every 30k i think.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

As long as the machine simply supplies the fresh fluid and doesn't force it thru at a faster speed you should be safe.
Yes, it's Every 30 K just to be safe.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
IV ACE

We're not talking this method. I thought we were talking about a machine flush which is a big no no.
By disconnecting the lines like how you stated, you're releiving the sytem of much needed pressure, that pressure is what keeps the transmission properly lubricated. Don't try this method, I'm all for doing your own work on your car but this requires machenery to be done right. Take your car to a reputiable shop that your trust to have this done right...
Old 05-01-2009, 04:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

By disconnecting the lines like how you stated, you're relieving the system of much needed pressure, that pressure is what keeps the transmission properly lubricated. Don't try this method, I'm all for doing your own work on your car but this requires machenery to be done right. Take your car to a reputiable shop that your trust to have this done right...
This "pressure" you speak of that lubes the trans is on the other side of the pump. Using this method does NOT endanger the trans one bit.
You really need to research what you say first to avoid giving false info.! Heck, the info you gave is exactly what you want to AVOID. It's the pressurized machines that stir up the gunk and destroy the trans. Shame shame on you.
Exactly what kind of lubrication does the trans need when it's sitting there idling? If it's not in gear and trying to move the car, there is zero wear going on even if the trans was empty.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have an 06 box with an auto, they say not until 100k to do a trans service, since it has the good toyota synthetic trans fluid. Im going to do it at 50K. The last vehicle I had was an 88 astro van I bought brand new. They said to service the trans every 30K, my buddy who owns a repair garage said every 25K, after 220+K, that was the only thing that didnt need replacing, one engine and 3 rears, what a poc that thing was in the long run. It actually made the 20 worst cars/autos to have long term...what a surprise. Much better the have one of the 10 best. And...soo much more fun to drive.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lazermike
I have an 06 box with an auto, they say not until 100k to do a trans service, since it has the good toyota synthetic trans fluid....
FYI - T-IV is NOT synthethic from what I have been told. It might be a semi though. Some members having dumped the factory fill said the fluid looks grey at 20-30K miles.

Since the dealer only wants $5 a quart, this too makes me believe it is conventional
or a blend.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Some more info here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...217344&fpart=4
Old 05-02-2009, 08:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

flushing the tranny or engine is never a good thing just keep up your oil changes and change out your olf tranny to new one according to the maunal and should be good....sometimes you gotta watch what there doing if taking your car into being service never i mean never let them talk you into services that you dont need or you didnt go there for........best of all if you can d0 it yourself..im hearing to many big shot companies are not caring on the quality work being done on the car
Old 05-07-2009, 07:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I checked my trans fluid at 33k and it looked and smelled brand new. Why would they say 100k if it wasnt synthetic? Ive been told 06 and later has synthetic...this by a Toyota tech.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

I checked my fluid last week and it's still red. I'm gonna hold off for a little while. I'm @ 31K, BTW.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by lazermike
I checked my trans fluid at 33k and it looked and smelled brand new. Why would they say 100k if it wasnt synthetic? Ive been told 06 and later has synthetic...this by a Toyota tech.
Toyoate TechIV is a synthetic blend. Changing it at around 35K is cheap insurance and gets all the junk from break-in out. Just because it's still red doesn't mean it hasn't broken down and gotten dirty. It just means that everything is fine inside the trans but it won't stay that way long if you wait to do the fluid till closer to 50K. It's under 30 bucks for a gallon can and takes less than a half hour. Just do it!
Old 05-07-2009, 09:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

A gallon is all you need for a drain and fill?
Old 05-08-2009, 01:37 AM

I just did mine today. Went to the Toyota dealer this morn and bought 4 quarts and a washer...all for $18 Dollars. Just did the drain and fill. 3.5 quarts came out of it, and I put that much back in (maybe a tad more, its about 1 mm past the hot line). Also my car has 43k, bought it when it had 42k so im just catching up on my mantinance.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

04-06 xBs come with regular Toyota gear oil not synthetic, (5-speed) does anyway. I asked at the dealership.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by hwybox
04-06 xBs come with regular Toyota gear oil not synthetic, (5-speed) does anyway. I asked at the dealership.
Thanks, but we are talking slush boxes here.
Hence the title of the topic
Old 05-27-2009, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just replaced the tranny filter. While I was re-installing the auto tranny pan, I encountered with a big issue. I tightened the 19 bolts per spec (7.8 N-m) and half of the gasket (pretty soft) was squeezed out. I am 100% sure that this will leak. Is there any trick I have to know???
Old 10-18-2009, 05:04 AM
5 Year Member

Thank's everyone for your opinion's and reply's.
My 2006 scion xb now has 26,000 miles on it.
I have not yet done a transmission flush on it.
Reading this posts i think i will wait till my xb
reaches 29,000 miles.

I had an oil change back in august 2009 and
recently the (maintence required light) lights up
for a short time when i start the car.
it turns off when i am driving the xb.

Someone posted that the trans flush is in the scion manual.
where is that posted because i cant find it at all.
Thanks to everyone's comments here on scionlife.

Quick Reply: auto trans flush