Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Auxiliary Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 01:30 AM
5 Year Member

Default Auxiliary Gauges

Greetings,

Anyone do any hunting or research on installing a set of gauges to measure oil pressure, coolant temp, and voltage. I would assume any of the kits would work but you would need adapters for the oil pressure sender . Perhpas the dealer can install these? Wonder where they would work best on the dash?

I like to know how the engine is operating in advance of the idiot lights.

Dave
Old 06-01-2004, 01:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do a search. This has been done by quite a few folks.
Old 06-20-2004, 02:57 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If quite a few folks have done it, theyve been mighty quiet about it. I havent seen anyone who has actual decent pics or any explanation of how theyve done it. Furthermore, no manufacturer ive found yet produces a pod for the xA... though AutoMeter has them for the xB. I would love to add some additional gauges myself, but after weeks of searching, im no closer to actually having them than i was.
Old 06-20-2004, 03:31 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like the look of these ones the best out of all I have seen.

Old 06-20-2004, 10:13 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats another xB. Where are all the xA customizers? Im tired of getting my xA passed over for cool accessories in favor of the xA's ugly sister, xB.

"When did Westinghouse start making cars?"
Old 06-20-2004, 10:42 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scottmbritton
I like the look of these ones the best out of all I have seen.
I love those Blitz gauges too, unfortunately they range from $200-$280 per gauge, & require a $90 "Live Unit" controller box. $700+ just doesn't seem practical, to put 3 gauges in front of you.

Submerge asked about oil pressure gauges - the easiest way to install them is to use a "donut" that fits between your engine & oil filter. Greddy makes on that goes for about $65, & has threads to fit sensors for both oil pressure & oil temperature.

Personally, I like the look of HKS DB Gauges, & they're some of the most affordable Japanese gauges @ $100-120 ea, & have a very clean look, during the day, & at night.
Old 06-22-2004, 04:45 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The problem here is not the gauges. Gauges can be bought almost anywhere. The dealership or most automotive shops will install them. The problem is mounting. The dashboard is mostly hollow... and that makes installing electronics a breeze, but if you cut into the dashboard, you void the warranty. They dont make pods of any sort for the xA. So youre choices are void your warranty, or go without for the next several years until some retard decides enough xA owners are interested and produces one. Neither solution fills me with much happiness.

For a brand that is marketed for customization, I sure feel like im getting the shaft. Love my xA to death, but I wish i had realized that before I bought it. Bastards in the service department weren't much help.
Old 06-27-2004, 05:42 AM
5 Year Member

Actually, don't know whether this will help or not, but you could install a few gauges in the center air ducts-no cutting required then...I think I saw a picture of this somewhere, I just can't remember where...
Old 06-27-2004, 09:21 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

OBD-II..if your into digital gauges:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...736&highlight=

PEACE
Old 06-29-2004, 09:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

I've seen some universal guage pods that are supposed to sit on top of the center dash. But since we have our dash in the center, I suppose you could mount them where normal guages usually are, over and behind the steering wheel. I was thinking about this myself. ANother possibility is to place them right in front of the center dash, in that flat recessed area. You'd think that it would block the gauges, but since your view is offset from the side, you may be able to do it without obstructing those gauges. The worst setup, but probably the easiest, is to place gauges where the light up orange storage bin is, by replacing it with a panel. It's way too low, and wouldn't be very functional, but if you need gauges. . .