Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Best 05 xB tint to match factory

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 03:03 AM
5 Year Member

Default Best 05 xB tint to match factory

Decided to tint the front windows and need advice on the best tint to match the rest of the 05 xB. Checked the local laws and all, but don't know how dark the factory tint is. Thanks for answering.
Old 11-08-2004, 03:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

20% - and unless you live in Georgia, 20% is not going to be legal on your front doors (ithat dark's not legal in any state on front doors) - and you can expect Georgia's tint law WILL be reinstated in the new year when the legislature reconvenes.
Old 11-08-2004, 03:26 AM
5 Year Member

Will have to go 35% to be legal. I think, visually, it won't make much difference to the factory tint on other windows. In your experience, what's the best tint grade to use in the front: 35% or 50%? Thanks for the quick answer.
Old 11-08-2004, 03:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

35, if it's legal in your state. there are a few like LA, NY and CA that require even lighter - but 35% is more than acceptable (state that don't allow 35 are being a little unreasonable)
Old 11-08-2004, 04:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i can tell you first hand that 50 is quite a bit darker than the rear glass.
that's how i currently have my box done. going to have the back darkened soon i hope.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my guess is you 're not completely sure how the numbering system works in window tinting. The stated number of a film (e.g. 5, 20, 35, 50, 70...) is the percentage of transmitted light versus no tint. So... if glass were absolutely invisible (it's not), it would be 100%. "LIMO" tint is 5%, meaning it BLOCKS 95% of the light that would be passing through the glass had it been crystal clear. (but limo actually measures in at 3, 4% because glass ISN'T perfectly clear). Factory colored glass - such as on the back of a Scion xB (or most any other SUV/VAN/Truck) is ABOUT (it's a few % off) 20% - meaning it blocks 80% of the visible light. If it were 50%, it would only be blocking 1/2 the light - factory's much darker than that.

If you got "50" that is 'quite a bit darker than the rear glass' - the tinter you used lied to you about what he installed, you DON'T have 50% tint if it's DARKER than your factory colored glass in the rear
Old 11-08-2004, 05:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just told the tint place to match the back, the tint guy/girl should be able to do that.

Don't pay too much like I did! $100 for 2 windows is way too much money.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hehehe, after reading your reply, i looked at my receipt from the tint shop.
turns out i have 15 , not 50.
all i can say is oops. BRAINFART !!!
now i just need to determine how much to have put on the rear glass.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ahhh... yes then... you would be right... your 15 is a bit darker than factory.. BUT... it's much better looking as far as a match goes than the lighter 35 and 50% films

MAX... $100?!?!?!? God I wished I could convince people to pay $50 a window - and hell - I remove panels when needed, shave the top edge so there's no gap from the film edge to the glass edge and etc etc ec

most markets get 1/2 that, me included. anyone looking to get film installed - espect to realistically pay from $40-60 for a good job. Less than $40 and the installer is probably using cheap dyed garbage. More than $60/70, you should be probably getting warranties on things like scratches, free replacement with glass breakage etc

If you want to MAKE SURE that the tinter isn't gonna install crap on your car - ask to see the film roll he's using - look inside the roll tube - it'll have a label in there listing film manufacturer, darkness etc etc. - don't just assume from the box - many tinters reuse boxes (it's easier). If there's no label in the roll - it's garbage gauranteed.

All in all - as long as you get a lifetime warranty (KEEP YOUR PAPERWORK!!) and a warranty against the fiml changing color - you'll be fine.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:58 AM
5 Year Member

I am in Nevada, and think it is AS-1/35%/Any/Any. I would like to make them match the factory shade, but my fronts should be 35% or lighter to comply with the rules. And having 35% fronts and 20% the rest is better than default, isn't it?

Another thing, I can not find the AS-1 mark on the xB. My other car has it, but the xB does not. Can anyone comment on this?
Old 11-08-2004, 10:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

how much do ya think would be a fair price to put 5% over the rears?
Old 11-08-2004, 03:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

AS-1 is on the windshield - look up at the top corner, you'll see it there.

Fair price to tint hte rear - although it does vary from area to area - but in the Sac area (sis lives in Davis - know the area) I would expect to pay somewhere around $120-$160 for a fair price. I know you could get it done for $80ish in that area, but it wouldn't be really great film.

My recomendation in your area of the country, for a sure bet on a 'as close to perfect as is possible' would be to look up RAUL at TINTWERKS over in WOODLAND. 1238 Alice St. 530-668-8468 (FYI... I'm all the way in S.Alabama - no where near that shop, so 'no' I gain nothing by referring him)
Old 11-08-2004, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by windowtint
ahhh... yes then... you would be right... your 15 is a bit darker than factory.. BUT... it's much better looking as far as a match goes than the lighter 35 and 50% films

MAX... $100?!?!?!? God I wished I could convince people to pay $50 a window - and hell - I remove panels when needed, shave the top edge so there's no gap from the film edge to the glass edge and etc etc ec

most markets get 1/2 that, me included. anyone looking to get film installed - espect to realistically pay from $40-60 for a good job. Less than $40 and the installer is probably using cheap dyed garbage. More than $60/70, you should be probably getting warranties on things like scratches, free replacement with glass breakage etc

If you want to MAKE SURE that the tinter isn't gonna install crap on your car - ask to see the film roll he's using - look inside the roll tube - it'll have a label in there listing film manufacturer, darkness etc etc. - don't just assume from the box - many tinters reuse boxes (it's easier). If there's no label in the roll - it's garbage gauranteed.

All in all - as long as you get a lifetime warranty (KEEP YOUR PAPERWORK!!) and a warranty against the fiml changing color - you'll be fine.
dude-

you sound like you know a lot about tint. thanks BTW. living in phoenix, the tint comapnies i've talked to (3) have all been in the same ballpark... $185 for everything 'cept the windshield. that's for MADICO film w/ a lifetime warranty - regardless of the %.
what are your thoughts? too much, about right? i was just gonna go limo around the back and risk 20% on driver/shotgun.
other than MADICO and the company's rep., what else should i look for?
Old 11-08-2004, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member

Is Llumar brand and good? How about Solar Gard Hp Charcoal?
Old 11-08-2004, 10:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They used 3M scotchtint on my windows, I had to have him redo the drivers side twice because there was dust under the film. Let me just say I'm not going back to SoundFX in east providence!.

Max2k/that's the last time i get ripped off.
Old 11-09-2004, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

from all the xB's i seen, 35% matches the best. 20 is a bit darker.

Link to picture of me and tim in his camo with 35% on the way down 95 to exposed philly.
http://www.teamscionrg.com/Gallery/d...album=10&pos=2

i'm ridin shotgun lol..
thank omar scioNRG prez for the picture.

Seacrest OUT
Old 11-09-2004, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Max- Llumar is fine as brands go (many tinters don't like it becuase they roll it inside out, but that's only a PITA to a tinter, not you). 3M is also a good brand, it's a spendy line of film though - although $100 for two doors is still a bit much, even for 3M. Madico and Solarguard are also both decent brands. After a certain point in films, almost all brands are more or less the same. Johnson, Llumar (Formula One), 3M, Solarguard, Sungard, Madico, they're all decent. What's most important is to find a shop that gives a lifetime warranty WITH all the FACTORY WARRANTY PAPERWORK - then if the shop closes - you still have a warranty

Peterbilt- $185 for everything isn't to terribly unreasonable. Pretty close to what most decent shops charge - there is some varience from area to area.
Old 11-09-2004, 04:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by windowtint
AS-1 is on the windshield - look up at the top corner, you'll see it there.

Fair price to tint hte rear - although it does vary from area to area - but in the Sac area (sis lives in Davis - know the area) I would expect to pay somewhere around $120-$160 for a fair price. I know you could get it done for $80ish in that area, but it wouldn't be really great film.

My recomendation in your area of the country, for a sure bet on a 'as close to perfect as is possible' would be to look up RAUL at TINTWERKS over in WOODLAND. 1238 Alice St. 530-668-8468 (FYI... I'm all the way in S.Alabama - no where near that shop, so 'no' I gain nothing by referring him)
how ____ty would the tint be for 80?
Old 11-09-2004, 08:01 AM
5 Year Member

Big_Jim - thanks for the pic. From the photo, it appears to be just as dark as the rest of the car. And 35% fronts do look better than nothing!

Windowtint - thanks for loads of top-notch info. There are affordable Llumar/Solarguard computer-cut sets on eBay, and I/m thinking DIY. However, I'm hearing shaved edges, warranty, etc. In your experience, would you advise against a xB fronts self-install?
Old 11-09-2004, 03:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

not disciouraging from self install. look on ebay for pre cut films. they def help alot. seen them for like 30 shipped for the front 2 winders (yeah i said winders)

Quick Reply: Best 05 xB tint to match factory