Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Best way to protect the xB on a long trip....

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Best way to protect the xB on a long trip....

Rent a car and leave the xB at home locked safely in the garage! My family and I are driving out to Chicago this weekend to visit friends for 5 days. It's about a 12 hour drive each way. I was debating about buying a bra to protect the front end, I was worried about possibly getting caught in a hail storm, and I'm not sure where I might have to park while at our friends house (maybe in the street along the curb). Just for the heck of it, I called my local Enterprise rent-a-car. Turns out, I can rent a standard size car (Dodge Stratus, Pontiac G6, or Chrysler Cirrus) for the entire week, with unlimited milage for $172 total by using a coupon! SOLD! The cars are all new '05s or '06s with A/C, cruise control, and CD. Now I can just relax and drive the crap out of it while the xB is safe at home. That's going to be about 1,500 miles NOT going on the box.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

but when you see that other box on the highway your going to say i wish i drove mine

but you are saving the miles and any headaches

good luck on your trip.............
Old 08-03-2005, 04:57 PM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I parked mine on a long trip to Iowa recently, and was glad I did.

I know someone's gonna post something saying something like "what's the point of having a new car if you don't use it" but the way I see it, renting a car for a long trip keeps your new car newer for longer.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:03 PM
5 Year Member

We rented a car to take to NC so I wouldn't have to break in our Box on the long trip. 5 day rental for only $125. It was a nice Nissan Altima which I'm positive was better on our rear-ends than the Box would have been.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Box of Rain
We rented a car to take to NC so I wouldn't have to break in our Box on the long trip. 5 day rental for only $125.
Hmmm...that deal was even better than mine. Who was that through?
Old 08-03-2005, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member

It was through Enterprise. I was shocked at how cheap it was, plus the 4 banger in the 05 Altima was getting 29 mpg @ 90mph.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think renting a car is a good idea for some long trips. I don't think I can stand getting my xB hurt hehe.. it already is... but oh well...
Old 08-03-2005, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Ahh i'm going to look into this. I'm going on a 4 day cruise to kansas city,mo and then sandusky ohio.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:34 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i ve driven my xb back and forthfrom NC to NJ 5 times now and regret doing it maybe 2 times but enjoyed it and i think it does great on long trips but i know have racked on a lot of miles oh well
Old 08-03-2005, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i've been looking and i can find no good rental deals..can someone help me out for a 5day deal?
Old 08-03-2005, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nochrch
i've been looking and i can find no good rental deals..can someone help me out for a 5day deal?
Try going here: http://www.enterprise.com/car_rental/home.do
Also, try to find coupons for them in your local "Clipper" or whatever.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is why we have a minivan and an xB. The MPV rocks on trips, we can carry bikes in the back with the wheels on, plus all our luggage, three people, it's reasonably quiet and still fun to drive, gets 27mpg on the highway. The xB gets used more for local driving -- it commutes 5 days a week, while the MPV stays home if I ride my bike.

I know, not everybody is a 2-car family, but for us the combination is ideal. And for a minivan, the MPV is reasonably small and agile. But the stereo doesn't play MP3s.

RichC
Old 08-03-2005, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You are paying to keep your low miles on your XB.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We are a 2 car family. I have a new xA and she has the xB. The xB would be a great car to take on the trip. I have no doubt about that. The reason I'm renting a car, is because we LOVE the yellow box and I don't want to see anything happen to it. Plus, we save the milage and wear-n-tear.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HoTBoX009
You are paying to keep your low miles on your XB.
It's not just about the milage. Like I said, it's also about the possibility of road chips, hail storms, vandalism and about 20 other things my paranoid mind can come up with. The way I see it, it's a worth while investment. Heck, if you do the math, it makes sense. Lets say you take one long road trip per year of 1,500 miles. Now let's say you have your car for 5 years, but you rent each year instead. Over 5 years, you'll spend about $750 on rentals, but you'll have 7,500 fewer miles on your car and it will be in better over-all condition. That will pay for itsself in resale value.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

People have different reasons for buying the cars they buy. Personally, since we keep our cars until they turn into junk (I have owned 11 cars and only ever sold one of them; the rest were all used up and towed away), I have no good reason to "preserve" them. The xB, especially, was purchased as an economy car, so the more we drive it instead of a more expensive car the more it serves its purpose.

But I absolutely get that a lot of people feel differently about their cars and have different approaches to ownership. And driving a rental can be fun just for the chance to drive something unfamiliar that you don't have to baby. On the other hand, if you dent a fender or ding a door, you get no choice about whether or not to pay for the bodywork.

RichC
Old 08-03-2005, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rdclark
...if you dent a fender or ding a door, you get no choice about whether or not to pay for the bodywork.
RichC
Ah, but that's the great thing about a rental. They have this dirt-cheap insurance you get that basically gives you total freedom. If the car is damaged you don't worry about fixing it.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Get roadblocker and drive the Box >i drove from CT. to Toronto Canada and didn't regret the drive one bit . but also add two hours to your drive with kids depending on thier age of coarse
Old 08-03-2005, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

has anyone heard of coating the front bumper with vaseline while on road trips to protect it from bugs and small rocks? I have never tried it but i have seen it done once on a vehicle with a custom paint job and the guy swore by it. if anyone tries it let me know if it works and how hard it is to clean off.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by matt_a
Originally Posted by rdclark
...if you dent a fender or ding a door, you get no choice about whether or not to pay for the bodywork.
RichC
Ah, but that's the great thing about a rental. They have this dirt-cheap insurance you get that basically gives you total freedom. If the car is damaged you don't worry about fixing it.
Depends on what you consider "dirt cheap." Especially since you're already paying for a car insurance policy that probably already covers rentals.

RichC

Quick Reply: Best way to protect the xB on a long trip....