bluehairs and xbs

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"Go ahead and call me a jerk"

You are a jerk.

Are you going to say that based on the fact that they don't mod it and such, that middle-aged women shouldn't drive them either? My mother absolutely loves my xB and drives it all the time. She has no interest in modding it, but she enjoys the car. I've seen MANY other older women and a few elderly driving xB's and most have waved and such, and the few I've talked to love their box.

Are you also going to say that I have no right to drive it based on the fact that I'm not going to mod it much? I'm puttin' trim rings, tercel caps, and esams on it and that's all I'm doing to it. Not going to cost me much over 250 bucks. God forbid people want to keep their cars somewhat stock for the resale value.

And another thing to add; the "culture" behind the car is all marketing to get the younger crowd but who says that some older folks can't appreciate it? And even if they don't care about the culture, what does it matter? Is it hurting you any?

Sounds to me that you just want attention from everyone and everything around you. Boo hoo, they won't check out your xB. Get over it.

I'm done.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:12 AM
SL Member

hey jerk,
think of it like this. Since there are no more gen 1 xbs to be made EVER which one do you think will be more valuable and sought after 15 years from now. 1) The xb with un counted mods performed by some shmoe in his driveway,a power plant that has been driven harder than your average nascar and a tranny that has endured sudden take offs from every single red light ever.
or 2) the xb that is completely stock, has never been driven over 70MPH and has documentation for every single maintenance visit since it was driven off of the lot? Which one belongs to you and which one belongs to the "blue hair"?

'nuff said.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

^ Word
Old 05-15-2007, 03:33 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

is this a joke?? i dont know about the rest of you guys, but i mod my box for me. i really couldnt care less what anyone else thinks of it. its my car and i love it. everyone has the right to own one and do what they want with it. mentality like that is what will ultimately give all owner of modded scions a bad image. its funny how the older people are always the ones to compliment my box and come to check it out, but the younger peeps that i see driving them all seen to turn their noses up at me. i guess the greater number of mods they have over mine make them better than me....
sorry the scion scene is not as elite as you wish it was..

now. does anybody know where i can get lowering springs for my Chrysler T&C touring van??
Old 05-15-2007, 03:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

off topic here, but what's a bluehair?
Old 05-15-2007, 04:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Ozzy
off topic here, but what's a bluehair?
Not so common anymore, but in the day, Women used a treatment on their hair that literally turned the hair blueish. A bluehair was thus a reference to an old lady.....

Anyway--you can't stereotype xB drivers of any age. I see lots of unmodded xBs on a daily basis driven by young people. I have always felt accepted at meets and gatherings even though I am twice the age of some of the owners.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

little off topic but...

now. does anybody know where i can get lowering springs for my Chrysler T&C touring van?? [/quote]

you can pull the stock springs off of a Stratus and it should lower it about 2.5", I did it to mine HAHAHA. :D

Now back on topic, we drive cars that are economical to drive, about $14k to buy, and are reliable as all get out.

Why wouldn't someone with a fixed income needing a car that easy to get into,drive and park, and fit kids, want an xB?

sounds like someone either in the 16 to 25 first time buyer, or the 16 to 99 year old that is smart enough to know a good deal, might want to buy one.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by saddlesore
Get a good hold of yer I-Pod thingy youngster...
well past 50, have a few non-intrusive mods completed ..
on both of our 'boxes and am just now looking at a 3d box to buy..
if I buy it .. it will have a "full house" under the hood as well as bags, dumps, and "lakers"...oh wait a minute.... your too young to know what those are ....pity

Now lakers are something I've yet to see on a Toaster!
Old 05-15-2007, 07:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Re: bluehairs and xbs

Originally Posted by fineEGOmaniac
OK, I sounded off recently with a gripe about XBs used as billboards.
I have one more ...

I think Scion would agree with me here, but not in public. The XB was not designed for purchase by Senior Citizens. -- Go ahead, call me a jerk. But, generally speaking, they don't reflect the culture that was cool about XBs in the beginning. They don't return waves at stoplights, then don't add a single custom piece or idea to their XBs, and I don't like to see them driving one.

There was something lost from the XB culture once bluehairs began buying the XB. I feel it every time I pull up next to a senior citizen in an XB, and he or she doesn't even bother to check my XB out or acknowlege that he's driving the same car.

Politically incorrect? But there's gotta be someone out there who agrees.
No disrespect meant, but to me, sitting here at college, 33 isn't all that young...
Old 05-15-2007, 12:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Evander

No disrespect meant, but to me, sitting here at college, 33 isn't all that young...
Half-wracked prejudice leaped forth
"Rip down all hate," I screamed
Lies that life is black and white
Spoke from my skull. I dreamed
Romantic facts of musketeers
Foundationed deep, somehow.
Ah, but I was so much older then,
I'm younger than that now.

- Bob Dylan
Old 05-15-2007, 12:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

"I'm older than I once was
and younger than I'll be.."

-Paul Simon
Old 05-15-2007, 02:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dosen't the xB have more rear legroom and headroom than a bmw 7 series? My friends dad has really bad back problems, and other than minivans, my xB is pretty much the only car he can get in and out of without aggravating his back.

The xB (at least with stock suspension) is extremly easy to climb in and out of.

I feel a lot safer with a old person driving a light xB, with only 103 Hp, than some old lady thats 4'2 driving a Lincoln Towncar with a 275 HP V8 that weighs 7,000 pounds, and can't see over the steering wheel.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All the fun went out of driving my xB when I found out they were selling them to people from Georga.

RDClark......What's wrong with georgIa ?
Old 05-15-2007, 03:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I am going to take the high road here and not beat this guy up you guys have done a great job and I have nothing else meaningful to add. Suffice it to say that I have quite a few mods on my car and don't mind senior citizens or 16 year olds driving around in the box or any other car they want to drive.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jbrolowxb
All the fun went out of driving my xB when I found out they were selling them to people from Georga.

RDClark......What's wrong with georgIa ?
Some guy who doesn't like old people comes from there.

R
Old 05-15-2007, 04:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Maybe I should have looked at the post, I can assure you we all do not share his view. If that was the case I would have a serious issue, there are many seniors driving around here in boxes. My in laws are in they're 60's and they love mine.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You're not driving a Lotus, you're driving a Toyota. At the time of the xB's release, wasn't Toyota the 2nd largest manufacturer in the U.S.? You didn't think people other than the younger generation (which, by the way, don't necessarily have a steady income or a good credit history) would buy a *gasp* Toyota?

For shame, for shame.

I like modding my xB not for attention but for the personal fun factor (that, and it's easier to find my car in a parking lot :D). Not everyone waves, but not everyone is paying attention either.

If you want to stick out or be a part of some elite club, buy a Delorean, or Maserati, or Alfa Romeo. If you want a car that appeals to all ages and backgrounds, try an xB.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by fineEGOmaniac
OK, I sounded off recently with a gripe about XBs used as billboards.
I have one more ...

I think Scion would agree with me here, but not in public. The XB was not designed for purchase by Senior Citizens. -- Go ahead, call me a jerk. But, generally speaking, they don't reflect the culture that was cool about XBs in the beginning. They don't return waves at stoplights, then don't add a single custom piece or idea to their XBs, and I don't like to see them driving one.

There was something lost from the XB culture once bluehairs began buying the XB. I feel it every time I pull up next to a senior citizen in an XB, and he or she doesn't even bother to check my XB out or acknowlege that he's driving the same car.

Politically incorrect? But there's gotta be someone out there who agrees.
It's only normal that some people just bought it for great transportation. I get people of ALL ages that pretend they don't see you wave or nod. That just tells me that they are not true xB lovers. It's a law of averages thing and has nothing to do with what we do here for enjoyment. IMO
Old 05-15-2007, 05:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I think Mikes just stirring the pot to create a little fun. He has a point about our
neighborhood though. There are at least 10 boxes that live near us that are
driven by bluehairs. They far outnumber the rest of us. Keep in mind that I
love to see them out driving something fun and different other than the land
yacht that was the status symbol of their generation. As to modding their
car, I don’t think they even have a clue that you can change your car to make
it custom. That is only something that happens on TV and in Japan. I got a wave
last week from one lady and by the smile and energetic wave that she returned,
she thought it was great to be acknowledged. It is very rare to get wave back
from those pretentious teens that drive boxes. They are just to cool for us old
farts.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually, most of the residents in GA hail from somewhere else. ME? Chester, PA then Rutland MA. Hmmm... Go figure. Today, a report came out ranking ATL drivers second in road rage only to Miami. Woo- Hoo!!

Quick Reply: bluehairs and xbs