Borla Customer Service Blows

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 10:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Borla Customer Service Blows

While their products may be intentionally designed to blow, their customer service does too...

Spent over $550 for their dual (true) cat-back exhaust for my xB, figuring it was the ultimate bolt on kit. :D

Through other posts here, I read about how simple it is to install and that a template, included with the kit, makes cutting the valance for the second opening a snap and results in a symetrical, chip-free cut.

So guess what? Tear apart the carton - no template. Okay, I think, recently released system, minor glitch, although I can't complete the install without making an opening for the second outlet.

I send 'em an e-mail: "please send me a template"... days go by... no reply. Hmm, seems odd that they have the whole "contact us" link and ask for all your info as required fields and still no reply. :?

Okay - let's try the phone: at least they have a toll-free number. First call: Get bounced around with the usual "If you know your party's extension" etc etc through voice mail hell and end up leaving a voice mail explaining my problem. Now given the time difference (I'm in Chicago and they're two hours behind in California) they've got plenty of time to get back to me during the same day..... no reply.

Next day, I call again... recorded prompts, ringing ringing, voice mail options, yadda yadda yadda, so I hit "00" and get the operator - finally human contact! I tell her I need to talk to someone about an "incomplete shipment" and get handed off to some anonymous male. I explain my situation and he takes down my name, address and fax #, as he offered to either mail or fax it and I asked him to do both.

Apparently both was too much for him, because 5 hours later, still no fax.

I call back again... recorded prompts, ringing ringing... this time "Richard" answers. Promises to fax me the template. An hour later, still no f*cking template.

So now I've spent three days trying to get some MFer at Borla to get me the F-ing template that is holding up my whole install - I am not going to hang around at work on a Friday night waiting for them to maybe fax me the damn template.

I don't want to have to free-hand it or ask a body shop to eyeball it when the damn labor-saving template should have been included in the first place. I spent $550+, I should get everything included in the kit to begin with.

I might expect this from some EBay piece-of-S, but I'm extremely disappointed in Borla's Customer Service... I only hope the manufacturing department is better.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Well the weekend after I wrote my original post has past - came in to work and "surprise!" NO faxes from Borla Customer Service... good thing I didn't wait around on Friday...

I removed the rear valance on the side where the new outlet for the exhaust will exit. I'm having the shop install the system and worrying about cutting the second outlet for later - I'll either try it or farm it out to a body shop. I may remove the other valance and use THAT as the template that I should've received from the a-holes at Borla customer service...

Shoulda bought a Magnaflow!
Old 08-09-2004, 09:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Try PMing someone on Scion Life that installed the Borla on their ride. Perhaps they still have the template shoved in their toolbox or files. Just a thought. Anyway, that sounds like a pain in the ___. I have the Borla rear section on my ride and at the time I purchased it the Borla web site listed it as a cat back. I even talked to a tech over at Borla for like 15 minutes asking questions about the system and he kept referring to it as a cat back. Thats one of the main reasons I got it. Anyways, I'm very happy with my exhaust, but I feel you on the Borla support.