Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

can't find a dealer who will order a 5speed xb stripped

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 09:46 PM
5 Year Member

Default can't find a dealer who will order a 5speed xb stripped

3 dealers have told me factory orders are "just not done". does anyone know of a south carolina dealer who does? toyota may make good cars but the dealership's attitudes are getting as bad as ford and chevy. while looking for a tacoma i'm told by several dealerships getting a manual is possible but you must have a.c. and the rims package or the sliding rear window and getting it without is impossible. i couldn't even find a manual trans to drive of either car but the salesmen sure had the gall to try to sell me automatics.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: can't find a dealer who will order a 5speed xb stripped

Originally Posted by starlost
3 dealers have told me factory orders are "just not done". does anyone know of a south carolina dealer who does? toyota may make good cars but the dealership's attitudes are getting as bad as ford and chevy. while looking for a tacoma i'm told by several dealerships getting a manual is possible but you must have a.c. and the rims package or the sliding rear window and getting it without is impossible. i couldn't even find a manual trans to drive of either car but the salesmen sure had the gall to try to sell me automatics.
I got my 2006 Camo xB stripped from here in Rochester MN. The sales critter (Arlyn Ness -- a REALLY nice guy) said that I could get my xB right away if I accepted some extras, but I said I didn't WANT any extras so he ordered mine nekkid and it was here in about a month. That was last September and things might have changed since then, but it WAS possible with the exertion of a little patience . . . .

-Don
Old 01-09-2006, 05:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

man, that's WRONG. those guys sound terrible, and I bet scion corp would want to hear about it.

you might try checking this list if you havent' already...
https://www.scionlife.com/dealers/south_carolina

hang in there - you'll get one! and hold out for that stick...BIG diff in the xB...
Old 01-09-2006, 06:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

call scion customer service and snitch on those dishonest dealers
Old 01-09-2006, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member

thanks for the replies. i'll keep trying. it's not like there are a ton of 5speeds around in the first place and i'm telling the dealer i don't want one someone sat in as he points to the very car i discribed on his lot. pooder may be on to something. i want the car in 8 weeks or so because the winter weather should be breaking then. maybe i should try this again in a month and say to them i want it in 4 weeks.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The problem you have is that the Southeast Region is independent from Toyota/Scion corporate. The entire region is not under the control of TMS. Calling Scion may have some effect, but not the same as if the dealer was in VA.

If you feel like a road trip, come on up to Northern VA and I'll sell you a stripped on. Getting the paperwork done is a hassle, but not impossible.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wouldn't take that chance. Depending on what day of the month you "order" your car you will be waiting 4-8 weeks anyway, unless they can find one to swap with another dealer in their area. It doesn't sound like they will do that, so you will have to wait for the allotment and then wait for it to be shipped etc. When you put your downpayment down you can request a delivery date 8 weeks out, that way they have more leeway.

If the salepeople are telling you that you can't order one...well, yeah they are sorta right. You cannot order one from the factory, built to your specs, but you can order what you want and get it as it comes off the boat, if you order options they are added in the US after coming off the boat.

Check this out for all the specifics of "ordering" a Scion https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...ight=allotment. If the salepeople are still being dificult, ask to talk to the Scion sales manager, I'm betting you can get what you want. If that does not work, CALL Scion and give them the information of which dealerships/managers are yanking you around, I'm sure they want this information.

good luck!
Old 01-09-2006, 08:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

agreed with hotbox - call scion and let em know the terrible representation that is going on.

a tracy dealer tried to tell me that i couldnt get a tC w/o the full airbag pkg, and option this that and the other thing.

they obviously didnt get my business
Old 01-09-2006, 08:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Keep trying other dealers in your area. I had to go through 5 dealers before I found one that will order my xA with Side-Impact-Air-Bags.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

are you talking about just a basic scion, nothing extra added to it at all. OR is STRIPPED meaning you don't things like the cd player, hub caps, rear spoiler, things like that. BASE models are all that we normally get in here, and we ALWAYS order them for customers the way they want it. Isn't that the Scion way?
Old 01-09-2006, 08:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here in St. Petersburg, my dealer experience was awesome. I told them the color I wanted, and 5 speed, no options. I had it a week later.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:58 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

Talk to Avon at Gene Reed Toyota here in Charleston. He was very easy to work with and should be able to help you with what you want.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

The original post talks about ordering a Tacoma? Every one has given advice regarding an xB same situation. I am not sure how this would relate to a Tacoma purchase. A "Stripped" xB would still come with A/C, Power windows, ABS and TCS.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by andersg
The original post talks about ordering a Tacoma? Every one has given advice regarding an xB same situation. I am not sure how this would relate to a Tacoma purchase. A "Stripped" xB would still come with A/C, Power windows, ABS and TCS.
Yeah, are you looking for an xB or a Tacoma? Toyota is a TOTALLY different ballgame when it comes to what you need to buy to get what you want and that varies from region to region.

Scion is different. Any dealership is able to order you any Scion any way you want it. Now, weather they WILL do that or not is their decision. Scion can penalize the dealer if they break the covenant, but they can never make a dealership run their operation a specific way since an individual owns the dealership and not Scion itself.

So, what are you buying?
Old 01-10-2006, 02:40 AM
5 Year Member

i agree that calling some sort of customer service is necesary. not that it will do you a whole lot of good unless you leave the state to find a dealership or find one farther away from your house. sorry to hear your dealerships have been a waste of time, when my dad bought our first last year we walked in and bought it off the lot ( obviously no wait then) last saturday we wlaked in and bought one off the lot but it was one someone had ordered and backed out of.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Man that's gotta suck. When I got mine, I told my dealership what they were going to put on and what they weren't. They didn't question me. When I told them I got discounts through a local speed shop they drew up the plans for a bone stock Shadow Mica (with three options I wanted) setup and I was good to go.

My recommendation; talk with a local speed shop and get some price quotes of parts installed on the xB and take them with you to the dealership. Also make sure to tell them another dealership 500 miles has one waiting for you, bone stock, if they don't want to comply with your request and a 1000 mile round trip trek is nothing to you so long as you get a box with the options you want. If that doesn't leverage them, ask the sales representative directly for his managers name, and for the number and address of the scion customer complaint department. While a phone call may be a slap on the hand, a hand written letter is like pelting a dealership with a few blasts from a sawed off shotgun. Make sure you inform them if they cannot give you the options you request, you have no other option. It's better for them to keep you as a customer than it is to lose a sale to another dealership. Then if you have any warranty work done, get it done at another dealership.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got mine from my dealer here in Wausau, WI and I believe they got it from St.Cloud, MN. Mark
Old 01-13-2006, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by YNPaul
Talk to Avon at Gene Reed Toyota here in Charleston. He was very easy to work with and should be able to help you with what you want.
Fantastic dealership. My wife works for the company that sold them their computer system and software that runs the dealership. We were in Charleston over New Years and had the first oil change on Friday morning. I went to the parts dept to get a bottle of touch up paint and the oil change was finished before I could pay for the paint.

Also try Fred Anderson in Raliegh. Call Murphy. I bought mine from them. They had it on the lot at lunch and held it for me until about 6:30 that evening so I could finish a few things at work. Their service dept is great also.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:04 PM
5 Year Member

Maybe it's regional. The majority of xB's here in Houston are bare bones. You can always order one however you like. I guess they are trying to sell you what they have in stock.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:40 AM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I thought it was about a Tacoma at first then figured it out. They loaded all their allotted vehicles up with overpriced options instead of just letting their customers pick for themselves. Right ,like they know what everyone wants. Sounds like they are just being GREEDY. Plain and simple.