Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

car theft/ breakin prevention

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 02:41 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by mfbenson
If you think that makes your car safe, think again. Its just deterrence. I could easily get by the factory transponder ring thats mounted on your ignition switch...
Ok. But if its so easy why does this site not yet have any reported thefts? One show car getting stolen (with no details as to how) doesn't exactly constitute a crime wave...

Of course it doesn't make the car safe. But it makes the likely avenues of attack a little different, so the advice from those convicts won't quite be right. Besides, I'd rather take my advice from sucessful car theives than those who got caught.
point! but I've read of stolen XA,TC and broken into XBs. read "banged up boxes, http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2133957318, and I remember a post about this dude's XA gettin' jacked in San Fran near Mission. I didn't start this because of some crimewave or something! Just that breakins and theft happens quite abit- at least here. ..anyway forwarned is forarmed it doesn't hurt to consider some preventative measures.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Many years ago, when I lived in California, I had a Toyota with the fusebox under the dash on the driver's side. Anytime I was out and about, I took the engine fuse with me when I parked the car (which BTW had been stolen from me and recovered before I started taking out the engine fuse).

The engine fuse on the xA is under the hood, so it's much less convenient to pop out in a parking lot. But I did it once when I left the car at an airport for four days.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

i really like the razor blade under the dash , any car is easy to start if u open the steering column up. oh and um subcodes xa was stolen in san fran. i believe it was subcode ,
Old 01-19-2005, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by mfbenson
I'd rather not get into it. . . and it's brand specific. . . and it's a lot more simple than you think.
Fair enough, but let me put it this way. Has anyone on this site reported a stolen vehicle? There is a thread about xB's being broken into, and a couple about things being stolen off the outside of the car, but unless my searching is really deficient there's nothing about a stolen Scion.

Must not be THAT easy...
Originally Posted by hotbox05
i really like the razor blade under the dash , any car is easy to start if u open the steering column up. oh and um subcodes xa was stolen in san fran. i believe it was subcode ,
Yes, it was subcodes. . . and no that is bad logic. Just because something has never happened before doesn't mean it won't. For instance, the tsunami hit regions received prior warning, but since nothing like that had never happened, many authorities chose to ignore it as to not cause a panic. True story. It's still a tragedy. . . an avoidable tragedy.

And the reason Scion's usually aren't stolen is because they have little value to a chop shop. Honda's are often stolen because the motor, suspension, body panels. . . they all hold a high value and the car can be parted out. Scion's are too rare and too new to be of any value. In the future? Maybe. The only time a Scion will be stolen is if they see all the aftermarket equipment you have, and determine that it is easier to take the entire car, than to grab individual components at a time.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
how bout some under dash shotgun blasting device?
Old 01-31-2005, 04:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"Scion's are too rare and too new to be of any value. In the future? Maybe."

My assumption is that Scions are no longer too new to be of value. xB's are getting to be two years old, and the tC has the same engine as the Camry - the most stolen car in America. I'd think THAT would make it an inviting target. I think maybe the engine immobilizer makes it so that a knowledgeable thief passes on the tC and just waits to find an actual Camry. (which should be easier to come by anyway).

"any car is easy to start if u open the steering column up"

umm. Don't you have to open the column up anyway to keep the steering wheel from locking?

"subcodes xa was stolen in san fran."

Ok, was bypassing the immobilizer part of the theft or did they have the key, or use a tow truck? Someone in houston just got their tC stolen, but it was a carjacking...
Old 02-02-2005, 03:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

dude, don't let stupid statistical data used by manipulating sons of ******* fool you (not calling you stupid, just the source of the data). The 2005 Camry is NOT the most stolen car in America, it's the 1989 Camry. BIG DIFFERENCE! The 1989 is a completely different generation, and it was redesigned in 1994, again in 1998(I believe?) and again in 2002? Those years may be off by one or two, but you get my point. The most stolen new cars are Civics, Integras, and Domestic SUV's(Explorer, Suburban). Newer Toyota's have significantly improved locking mechanisms than the 1989 Camry, and are much harder to break into. Honda's on the other hand. . . all you need is a blank key and a grinder, and you can make a universal key. . . and this is for NEW HONDA'S!!!!!!
Old 02-02-2005, 04:04 AM
5 Year Member

Has anyone ever tried any of the "VIN Etching" kits? Where you etch your car's VIN into every window on the car, in theory that thieves will pass it up since windows can be so expensive to replace.

Apparently some insurance companies give a discount if you have it done as well.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

yeah ins companies give a discount but more than anything it hurts u if they break a window.