Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Cheap ebay header installed with photos and tips

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 05:44 PM

so which bolts do you need to use for this header? Are the upper bolts the same? just the ones that mount the exhaust/muffler together new?
Old 07-05-2008, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default ...OIL ME.....

The doughnut crush washer can be re-used if there are no black burn leak marks anywhere on it. The 2 nuts and 3 bolts on top, can be re-used.
But you need to buy new spring loaded bolts, about $7 each, you need two of these:

Ask for #03143 Spring loaded header bolts.
Everything you need is in this kit (spring, nut and nut with wing thing).
Read the full thread so there are no suprises during the install.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

I just got plain bolts and re used the springs for the lower 2, worked fine. Just double nut them to lock them in place.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:18 AM
SL Member
Scinergy

I had bought from the same seller a few months back. But I got the blacked out version. Definetly noticed the larger runners on the headers first off. Its not a bad product what so ever. I had installed the header and axle back at the same time so I didnt see a tone difference with just adding the header. As far as the collector not being all that pretty.. its not like this is a forced induction vehicle where your looking to move as much exhaust flow as you can to spin a turbo....
Works good for me. I did notice some gains with my CAI, header and axle back. Didnt make it a monster by any means.. but I get in and out of traffic and off the line alot better. Seems to have freed up a few more mpg's also. Which is why I got out of my WRX in the first place!
Old 08-10-2008, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just bought a black ceramic header from ebay - i'll put up some pics when I get it.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

good deal
Old 08-22-2008, 10:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just installed mine last night with a bit of trouble. One of the spring bolts hung up and i had to cut it out.

I am getting exhaust smoke coming out of where the header meets the exhaust pipe. I did reuse the donut gasket but I think I need to tighten the spring bolts a bit more or get a new donut. Anyone else have this problem?
Old 08-22-2008, 10:37 AM
Banned
SL Member

eh dude dont waste your money on cheap parts..you might as well just keep the stock headers and save yourself the trouble of something going wrong.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by InfiniteVisi0n
eh dude don't waste your money on cheap parts..you might as well just keep the stock headers and save yourself the trouble of something going wrong.
If you only knew how tiny the runners are on the stock header.
This ebay header is such an easy and cheap replacement part is like a no brainer.

Originally Posted by Zombietime
I am getting exhaust smoke coming out of where the header meets the exhaust pipe. I did reuse the donut gasket but I think I need to tighten the spring bolts a bit more or get a new donut. Anyone else have this problem?
As long as the gasket looked good it should work fine. If the connection is leaking be sure everything is lined up then re tighten the connection and it should stop leaking. You shouldn't have to go real tight tho cause that joint needs to be able to flex as the motor moves around on it's mounts.
The new header will stink for the first few days then go away. Did you get the silver or the black one?
Old 08-22-2008, 03:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bought the black one. Nice piece if not a bit plain looking but it is just a bunch of pipes. Anyway it is much nicer than the stock piece and it looks like a quality part. I think all the other ones are overpriced.

Anyway, Everything looks good and tight and the donut looked to be in pretty good shape. Now most of the smoke was white so it very well could be WD40 burning off as I used a lot of it. I wont know til I check again after work. I may order a new donut just in case.

Originally Posted by bB2NER
Originally Posted by InfiniteVisi0n
eh dude don't waste your money on cheap parts..you might as well just keep the stock headers and save yourself the trouble of something going wrong.
If you only knew how tiny the runners are on the stock header.
This ebay header is such an easy and cheap replacement part is like a no brainer.

As long as the gasket looked good it should work fine. If the connection is leaking be sure everything is lined up then re tighten the connection and it should stop leaking. You shouldn't have to go real tight tho cause that joint needs to be able to flex as the motor moves around on it's mounts.
The new header will stink for the first few days then go away. Did you get the silver or the black one?
Old 08-22-2008, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Are you hearing any exhaust leakage around that front connection? If not is should be fine.
The main thing is whether or not you tightened thos 2 spring bolts evenly and gradually so they are clamping the same amount and the joint is straight. It should be fine tho.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No I didn't hear any leaks. I just freaked a bit when I saw all sorts of white smoke coming out from under the hood. I'll let the car run a bit when " I get home and see if it goes away.

I did tighten the blts evenly. I ordered a new donut anyway - the local dealer said they'd have it for me by tomorrow morning.

Originally Posted by bB2NER
Are you hearing any exhaust leakage around that front connection? If not is should be fine.
The main thing is whether or not you tightened thos 2 spring bolts evenly and gradually so they are clamping the same amount and the joint is straight. It should be fine tho.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No I didn't hear any leaks. I just freaked a bit when I saw all sorts of white smoke coming out from under the hood. I'll let the car run a bit when " I get home and see if it goes away.

I did tighten the blts evenly. I ordered a new donut anyway - the local dealer said they'd have it for me by tomorrow morning.

I had the same problem. It was WD-40 burning off. It took a day or two to burn off. Since then, no smoke.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by joshsbox

I had the same problem. It was WD-40 burning off. It took a day or two to burn off. Since then, no smoke.
Cool that's good to know. I thought the damn thing was on fire, lol. I was tired after messing with the car for nearly two days with the stuck spring bolt. I always get paranoid after I put parts on a previously working just fine car. :D
Old 08-23-2008, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When it's cooled down some (doesn't have to be completely cold) go hose it off-that should speed up the burn off process some.

Can you feel any difference in power curve? MY flattened out so it feels like it accelerates slower but I look down at the speedo where I used to be at about 45 (entrance ramp on to highway) and now I'm at 53 or so, I think it definitely adds some spice.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by greybox
When it's cooled down some (doesn't have to be completely cold) go hose it off-that should speed up the burn off process some.

Can you feel any difference in power curve? MY flattened out so it feels like it accelerates slower but I look down at the speedo where I used to be at about 45 (entrance ramp on to highway) and now I'm at 53 or so, I think it definitely adds some spice.
I drove around town a bit to get some gas and return something to wally world and it feels just fine around town. I don't feel like it's lost any power or anything like that. I wont do any highway driving until monday when i go to work.

I did pick up a new donut gasket but be warned, they run about 30 dollars and I didn't know that when I went to pick it up and pay for it. I bought it anyway as it'd good to have a spare but man they're expensive.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice info!

Thx

John
Old 09-03-2008, 01:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I really like my cheapy header, the collector is even pretty.. lol

Paid $35 on eBay

After 2 years: One of the welds on the "name plate" disconnected itself, so I just remove it...
Old 11-03-2008, 03:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

not bad for ebay... looks like i will be lookin into one for myself..
Old 11-09-2008, 04:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

Ordered myself one yesterday
lol
cant wait to put it on

Quick Reply: Cheap ebay header installed with photos and tips