First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Chopped

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 07:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

ha ha ha . creepy and weird suppose why he has the ugly paint , horrendous wheels and random puke colored pinstripes? lol. but hey custom is awesome too bad it isn't perfect not that very many things are ( perfect that is )
Old 07-05-2006, 09:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

they could have taken the chop out of the center of the hatch, thus bringing the glass down.... no need for replacement....

other wise, it looks horrible, the wheels dont help but neither does the lazy not-gonna-touch-the-hatch attatude

i say crush it..... but who am i to tell people what to do with stuff they paid for
Old 07-05-2006, 09:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by RedneckwithanxB
they could have taken the chop out of the center of the hatch, thus bringing the glass down.... no need for replacement....

other wise, it looks horrible, the wheels dont help but neither does the lazy not-gonna-touch-the-hatch attatude

i say crush it..... but who am i to tell people what to do with stuff they paid for
if he did it that way it's be many more man hours and the window line would no longer start at the same spot........
Old 07-05-2006, 09:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

but it would still look a lot better than it does, and he could have run a small strip of sheetmetal on top of the glass, to cover a little of it, to regain the window line
Old 07-05-2006, 09:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

eh. it'd look a lot worse that way imo. all e needed was a little bit of money to get custom rear glass. i mean if he has meal working/ body skills to do the chop himself i'm sure he knows of a good glass shop that can do competent work.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would think most people that were going to take on a project like this would do some research on the cost of the glass and decide before chopping up the car.
But I guess not everyone does that as we can all see from these photos.
I still cant get past the fact that someone would put wheels that ugly on an XB, Im not sure if I could think of a car they would look good on or if I hated someone enough to want them to put those on there car.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

I don't like the wheels or paint, but I think he did a good job on the chop. It's subtle and unless you knew what you were looking for you would not notice it. The rear I think he did that way to get a "wing" effect, not to save $$. I was at the show and pointed it out to some other xb owners and until I told them what had been done they didn't notice. Personally I would have taken out another 2-3 inches so you would really see it.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

^^ what he said.... i saw it role up and park..... but other than the wheels (yup they stand out) and paint i didnt notice the chop.... not till some1 pointed it out and walked me over to it....

wish i had a chance to look at it better... maybe he'll show up at another meet... hopefully this thread doesnt scare him off if he reads it...
Old 07-06-2006, 03:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The chop is decent, and I commend him on doing the windshield the way he did. Being the guy who did all the metal work, it would have been a lot cheaper for him to just lay the windshield back. He didn't shortcut.

What I can't believe is that he left the hatch full height and sloped the roof line. I really think it was more of a personal choice than money. Maybe he was trying to get a more aggressive "raked look" by doing this. And I am with Darren in questioning the $11k price tag for a fairly simple piece of glass for the hatch.

Heck, with him being the body guy he could have always dropped the glass down and sectioned the hatch it's self. Full height glass in the rear, and get the chop he desired. Unfortunately doing it this way would have thrown off the flow of the vehicle. The bottom of the rear glass would be the height of the chop lower than the bottom of the side glass.

And to those guys saying things like, "It needs 2"-3" more chop" and "Why not chop it 7" or 8"?" The reason he didn't is it would look like crap. Some people who do chop tops understand why you do a chop top. Others don't. And you can always pick out those that don't. They are the guys riding around in cars and trucks that look like clown cars because the proportions are all wrong. There are very few vehicles (not types of cars, but individual cars) that can get away with extreme chops. Otherwise it is all about getting the proportions right.

One of the few cars I have ever seen that could actually pull off an extreme chop came from Gas Monkey Garage in Texas. Probably one of my favorite cars...

Old 07-06-2006, 03:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

that thing is hideous!!
Old 07-06-2006, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Holy masking tape batman that thing is ugly......
Old 07-06-2006, 05:04 PM
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions

Chop coulod be so much better, but still give em props for the amount of work put in to it. The King Aurthor's Court Rims need to be tossed.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dwestxb
Chop is sweet Wheels are Hideous
x2
Old 07-07-2006, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

yeah, the wheels suck, and the rake-chop reminds me of a PT, but gotta give props for the cajones it takes to put the box under the knife like that...

isn't it true that the rear glass can be cut down using a precision sandblaster? I was under the impression that the front glass (laminated, untempered, complex compund curve etc) would be the spendy piece.)

RTon, smartAss, anyone?
Old 07-07-2006, 06:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It was my understanding as well that the rear glass could be cut as well. Maybe not though. Even if it couldn't be cut, a new piece could be made at a much cheaper cost than the new windshield.